Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Did you order PCCBs on your GT3/RS?
Yes
56.94%
No
34.72%
Undecided
8.33%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

PCCBs. Not a rehash.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
PCCBs are the future and any car without them would likely be of lesser value.
Bobby, I think you will find that most used Pcars sell for very closely related prices. meaning a used 996Turbo, 993Turbo, GT3, CarreraS, etc. with $20k "factory" add-on's will sell for the nearly the same price as one that is mostly stock. Of course the car with the $20k upgrades might sell "quicker" but usually not for much "more".
(assuming cars are close in miles, etc.)
-- After the initial buyer, even a factory aero kit ($8K) or special paint ($3K) or Aluminum, Wood, Carbon Fiber packages at $5k-$6k, etc. holds little to no value on the open market.

- If Pcar history has shown one thing over and over. The owners who experience the greatest depreciation on their vehicles are the ones who add on a lot of factory options.

Now on the reverse side of that coin, you can't really put a price on owner enjoyment. So spend on the car whatever it takes to make the car feel perfect. There is nothing worse than spending $100k plus and feeling like you haven't gotten everything you want.

The GT3 is a speciality car but there is no reason to assume that the same "norm" will not be true.

B
Old 01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think B-line makes some interesting points but my opinion is that the reason PCCB's don't seem to add much cost to current used car values is the fear of future maintenance costs on the Gen I version. I'm thinking the Gen II's will prove to be more robust and then they will be a sort after option. Especially, on a GT3. Anyway, that is my rationale for including them in my order.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
frayed
Race Car

Not sure on what the resale market will bear wrt PCCBs. Most options will not bring rain historically in resale. There are exceptions though, like aerokits.

I'm am concerned about resale, but not so much so that I'm willing to skimp on an option that I'm smitten with, like full leather for example.

I have a disorder. I know the first time I hear a squeak, percieve brake fade, or see cracks on my steel rotors, I'll be searching for pccb retrofit options. So the heck with it, I'm writing a check for 9k more come delivery time. Guess I'll have to work a few extra weekends and pick up a part time job to pay for them.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:41 PM
gerkebi
Instructor

I think B-line is right on the money. When you're looking at a pre-owned car, the options are what they are. Maybe you wanted them, maybe you didn't, but they rarely affect demand to the point of price elasticity.

It seems the only options that buck that truism are transmission and color. For whatever reason, we can justify the other stuff but good God I'd never consider an automatic and some colors out there!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Bobby, I think you will find that most used Pcars sell for very closely related prices. meaning a used 996Turbo, 993Turbo, GT3, CarreraS, etc. with $20k "factory" add-on's will sell for the nearly the same price as one that is mostly stock. Of course the car with the $20k upgrades might sell "quicker" but usually not for much "more".
(assuming cars are close in miles, etc.)
-- After the initial buyer, even a factory aero kit ($8K) or special paint ($3K) or Aluminum, Wood, Carbon Fiber packages at $5k-$6k, etc. holds little to no value on the open market.

- If Pcar history has shown one thing over and over. The owners who experience the greatest depreciation on their vehicles are the ones who add on a lot of factory options.

Now on the reverse side of that coin, you can't really put a price on owner enjoyment. So spend on the car whatever it takes to make the car feel perfect. There is nothing worse than spending $100k plus and feeling like you haven't gotten everything you want.

The GT3 is a speciality car but there is no reason to assume that the same "norm" will not be true.

B
My reference wasn't intended to imply a specifically higher resale value for cars outfitted with PCCBs vs steels...more an indication of desirability of buyers in the future. Thus far development of PCCBs has been an emerging technology soon to be accepted as mainstream and a given feature of high performance cars. The earlier reported failures, while true, have been vastly exaggerated in IMO. I've had personal experience of the Gen II (27k miles including track usage) and can attest to their durability and desirability. Going forward it's likely gonna be a 'must have' on new performance cars.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Maybe I shouldn't be posting here as I do not have a GT3 or an RS, but this question has come up very often on the Turbo board.
I was on the fence about the PCCB's as I track a lot also. Since I did not order my car, I did not get to make the decision anyhow. But here are my thoughts.

GO STEEL and forget about the PCCB's.

1) The PCCB's may cost under $9k but the replacement is something like $20k if you need front and rear.
2) If you are using your car competitively and need every extra inch of performance, I can understand the cost. But if the car is just running circles at a DE you will probably not notice the difference and who wants to pay $10k for a front brake job.
3) Porsche brakes (pccb or not) have always been fantastic. The slight benefit that comes from having PCCB's does not equal the cost of owning them. Again, if the car is being raced and you need that edge, I understand it. But for a dual purpose street/DE car, save that money and use it to pay the taxes on the cost of the car.

Either way, there is no mistake here. If your not going to miss the $9k to buy them and the $10k repairs go for it. But considering the big reds are free and a rotor and pad job costs less than 1/5 the price, I don't see the value.

B
I couldn't disagree more but with all due respect.

Go with the PCCB's. Initially 9k is not BIG relative to the total cost of the car. if for some reason you toast them or don't like them then replace with steels...you don't have to go the 20k route of replacing with PCCBs again.

But with less UNSPRUNG weight (~ 37 lbs less) you WILL notice not just the enhanced braking but also the better handling. When guys are looking at every nook and cranny where they could lighten the car, this feature is perhaps the single most effective way to do it...with improved braking and performance.

As to durability, ask the folks at PDE (perhap MJones can chime in here) who run their cars on Gen II's day in and day out and trust me the pros out there give 'em the full treatment. IMO the failure of a few Gen I's caused a panic fire on these forums...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Certain options gradually become 'must haves', and PCCBs (particularly on the GT3) may well achieve that status. Certainly Porsche believe so.

At the moment approx 60% of GT3 customers are specifying PCCBs. So long as the latest generation PCCBs live up to expectations (stopping performance, consistency, long life, corrosion resistance, low noise, low dust, weight saving benefits, etc), then they are likely to become increasingly popular.

Like those buying new, a similar proportion of used buyers are likely to want a PCCB equipped GT3. So, providing the PCCBs are in good condition, these cars may well retain some of the value of this option.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap out the stock steel pads to RS19's...and you equal the PCCB bite.

The value equation is far more balanced than some like to assert/hyperbolise...

Love to see the Nordschiefe difference...I'd postulate <1s/lap
Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

IMHO the teething problems of PCCB have seemingly been resolved. I'm getting them, if they work great if not Brembo's GTR package is my choice...

Quick Reply: PCCBs. Not a rehash.