Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 January Build Allocation AVAILABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mitch. make sure to post some pics. when you get the car. congrats.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I picked up the car last night. First, let me say the the Collection is absolutely the most beautiful dealership I've ever seen and everyone there was very friendly and helpful. This is the way all Porsche dealerships should be run. I don't really care about the beautiful part but the staff was completely professional. For such a large dealership, the only attitude I noticed was one of gratefullness for me purchasing a car from them.

Since I am not a writer I won't go into my first impressions about how great the car is. I will write about my impressions after I get a chance to really stretch her legs a bit, but this car is really fast!

What I will say is this; last night I put the car on my lift when I got home. The underside is very smooth. Lots of good aero there. When I got to the mufflers, I was dumbfounded! That thing must weigh about 70 lbs!!! It has to weigh more than the mufflers on my 996 C-2 for sure! There are two seperate mufflers, one on each side, and then one big one at the back. There is an elaborate plumbing system to allow for the openning of the backpressure above around 4k. Fabspeed needs to work on a bypass system for the whole mess from the cats back.

About the rollbar, it is the RS bar and it looks very strong compared to the 996 tequipment piece.

One more thing I noticed is that it looks like the front lower control arms are shimmable. If this is true, it should be very easy to get enough negative camber for even the most aggressive setups.

How will it stack up against the 996 GT-3 seems to be the question of the year and soon, hopefully, I will be able to give my take. I think the 996 GT-3 will always hold a place in purist Porsche fans because of the single purposeness (?) of the car. The 997 GT-3 will, however, prove to be the better car even for the track. That is my first thought but I will be able to give a more educated take in a couple of months. For now, I am loving it!!!

Again, thanks to MJSPEED and Rennlist, and of course, Porsche!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to beat the rollbar thing to death, but, did they install the 997 GT3-RS rollbar? Brandywine Prosche has stated that it would not fit due to the sunroof issue. Has the Collection found a way around this? If so, thats great.

PS We need pictures

Enjoy!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I'll get the pictures next week. It does fit. There seems to be enough room. Next week I will have some pictures of it in the car.

Since you are in south Florida, will you be at Sebring next week? If so, look me up and I'll show you the bar.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

congrats!! I'm glad to hear it all went great!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CoGT3
Hate to beat the rollbar thing to death, but, did they install the 997 GT3-RS rollbar? Brandywine Prosche has stated that it would not fit due to the sunroof issue. Has the Collection found a way around this? If so, thats great.

PS We need pictures

Enjoy!!!
Looking forward to the pics -- especially the mounting points of the RS bar and clearance from the headliner.
How do the harness belts fit? Have you got a shell seat and sub strap (six point)?
Do you intend to use a HANS collar?
I wonder if the sunroof opens completely.
The DAS non-sunroof bar fits, but it obstructs the sunroof, preventing it from fully opening. All good fun. Since it's there, I do like using the sunroof in "tilt" mode for a little more exhaust note through the hills.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I'll get the pictures next week. It does fit. There seems to be enough room. Next week I will have some pictures of it in the car.

Since you are in south Florida, will you be at Sebring next week? If so, look me up and I'll show you the bar.
I certainly hope to make up at least one day. It kind of depends on the how the work week goes. But I will let you know. I would love to see the bar in the car.

Quick Reply: GT3 January Build Allocation AVAILABLE!!!