Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

World's Rudest and most clueless Porsche Salesman - Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts
Default World's Rudest and most clueless Porsche Salesman - Rant!

I called a local Porsche dealer on Friday and spoke to a salesman:

Q: I'd like to get on a waiting list for a new GT3 RS
A: Could you please spell that
Q: "G T 3 R S"
A: What type of car is that?
Q: It's the sport version of the new GT3 and I'd like to buy one
A: Let me call you back within an hour

I called again after 45 minutes

Q: Do you have an update for me on the "G T 3 R S"?
A: It's actually race car that's not available for street use
Q: I know that Porsche is planning on importing some for street use to the US and I'd like to buy one.
A: Sorry, we don't have any car like that for sale
Q: I know it's not currently for sale, however I'd like to buy one once it's available for sale?
A: Sorry, we won't have a car like that for sale
Q: Can I give you a depost just in case you ever get one for sale?
A: We don't take deposits on cars that are not for sale

I can't believe that some Porsche dealers employ idiots like that. BTW - I bought a Mercedes at this rather large NJ dealeship a couple of years before and thought they had some substance.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
TonyToniTone
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send Porsche GB an email.. they will be straight on the phone to the OPC in question!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyToniTone
Send Porsche GB an email.. they will be straight on the phone to the OPC in question!
I'm in the US.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either go to a different dealer or ask for the sales manager. Perhaps this is a dealer that is not getting a RS.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

"Dave's not here!"

Old 10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimculp
"Dave's not here!"
i was looking at your reply b/f the pic loaded thinking "what's he talkin about?"
the pic came up and gave me a good laugh!
knew i had heard that line somewhere!?

FRANK like myself you are SOL, as far as a gt3 rs, regardless of the dealers lack of knowledge.
if you got on a waiting list as your sig shows i hope you didnt have to leave a deposit.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
FRANK like myself you are SOL, as far as a gt3 rs, regardless of the dealers lack of knowledge.
if you got on a waiting list as your sig shows i hope you didnt have to leave a deposit.
Since I am eternally hopeful, I left a deposit with another dealer.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the dealerships were like before the new breed of Porsches showed up - but I'm guessing they were a hell of a lot better and more knowledgable, and probably a lot more enthusiast-oriented, than the joke they have become. Every Porsche dealership I've seen in Florida is a joke, except Brumos. In every other case (Orlando, Tampa, St Pete, and especially Champion in Pompano), the salesmen have been typical arrogant slicked-back-hair salesmen who knew almost nothing about the Porsche brand beyond what they read in the new car literature.

To add insult to injury, in almost every case they would criticize whatever car I drove in with (most recently my 993) in an attempt to convince me to "move up" to a new one. If I won $100 million lottery tomorrow, and I wanted to get a brand new GT3RS, I can guarantee you I wouldn't buy it from a dealership - I'd rather wait and buy it used instead of dealing with those idiots.

(I'm sure there are exceptions, but this has been my experience)
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I don't know what the dealerships were like before the new breed of Porsches showed up - but I'm guessing they were a hell of a lot better and more knowledgable, and probably a lot more enthusiast-oriented, than the joke they have become. Every Porsche dealership I've seen in Florida is a joke, except Brumos. In every other case (Orlando, Tampa, St Pete, and especially Champion in Pompano), the salesmen have been typical arrogant slicked-back-hair salesmen who knew almost nothing about the Porsche brand beyond what they read in the new car literature...
I totally agree (i.e. one of the sales guys at Collection argued with me that 997 can be ordered without a sunroof) but I've noticed there's still some enthusiasts in mechanics.
While ago after the wiring harness recall was done to my car at Champion, it was priceless to see when one of the mechanics drove my car from the back of the shop to the outside. He started it up, then gave couple of little throttle blibs and rolled it to where I was waiting, 5-6 guys stopped working on Cayennes, C4S Convertibles & whatnots and came all to take a look, they looked my car roll by, everyone smiled, gave some thumbs up and compliments.

I guess they don't here flat-sixes with open exhaust too often anymore!

To the original problem, I'd go back to that dealer (I assume you have the sales persons name) and take a prochure of GT3RS and get some hard answers, when sales guy is that dumb, they should be told that.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I totally agree (i.e. one of the sales guys at Collection argued with me that 997 can be ordered without a sunroof)...
It was the Manager that was arguing with us that day...he's no longer there.

Look fact is that we know more than they do.

At least my sales guy doesn't try to BS me...he knows that I know more and calls sometimes to say "I heard this...what've you heard?" Never tries to BS me at all. Frankly that's all I'm looking for.

And as far as your "back in the old days..." type of thought, they used to bull**** then also...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
jason1st
Advanced

It's not just Porsche. It's rampant everywhere.

2 Brands I've dealt with very recently that had great sales people: Mercedes and Infiniti

I looked at every other brand before my last purchase and those were the only 2 that knew what they were talking about.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
To the original problem, I'd go back to that dealer (I assume you have the sales persons name) and take a prochure of GT3RS and get some hard answers, when sales guy is that dumb, they should be told that.
he could just email the link to the gt3rs promo on pcna's site w/
a short note: "take a look sheep dip!"

btw i was able to get an rs allocation.
the rep managed to move an allocation that was supposed to go to some fla.
dealer named "collection" to my local dealer! just kidding mjs!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Not disagreeing that some salesmen are ill-informed fools, but think about the customers they deal with as well.

Us Rennlist people are alternately salesmen's dreams and nightmares; we call them the moment we hear about a new product placement in Autoweek, we know the option sheets inside out, we can configure cars and calculate prices in our heads, we second-guess them when we think we know something they don't. We're kind of nuts.

Other customers walk in and ask why a 911 doesn't have a V8, when a Corvette that's cheaper does have one. Or why the automatic doesn't have 7 speeds, the nav doesn't have touch-screen capability, there's no bluetooth, and the rear tires are so expensive. Salesmen deal with these people all day; when they get a call from one of us asking about a car they haven't heard/read about - inexcusable, yes - an incredulous response isn't a surprise.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would this dealership in question have the initials RC?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
he could just email the link to the gt3rs promo on pcna's site w/
a short note: "take a look sheep dip!"

btw i was able to get an rs allocation.
the rep managed to move an allocation that was supposed to go to some fla.
dealer named "collection" to my local dealer! just kidding mjs!
Yeah real ****in' funny!! I actually called today to see if anyone behind me (Yo soy numero uno!) had dropped...unfortunately no. I'll let you know if someone does.

Quick Reply: World's Rudest and most clueless Porsche Salesman - Rant!