Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Seriously, Can we replace the roof panel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:24 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you say that.... the sales guy told me the exact same thing... I will definitely do that once broken in. Thanks

AW
Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

LOL, so soon arnaud.
when you bring the long nose car to track?
you might inspire cosmos to buy one. he's getting very antzy now days!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as it is broken in.... oh but wait I need a spare set of wheels and some trick suspension to really play with you. M poop versus Gayman. That's going to be entertaining.

AW
Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I wonder how RUF does it then?
If RUF Automobile is importing the 997 without a sunroof then they performed the certification themselves (or rather paid someone else?) I was under the impression that one of the reasons RUF purchased "bodies in white" from PAG was so they wouldn't have to deal with this sorta thing. The phase-in period of new regulations are sometimes longer for limited line manufacturers and they are eligible for waivers from initial compliance but I couldn't find one for RUF. Have you seen a RUF 997 without a sunroof and without manufacturer plates? Someone should ask them.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-22-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If RUF Automobile is importing the 997 without a sunroof then they performed the certification themselves (or rather paid someone else?) I was under the impression that one of the reasons RUF purchased "bodies in white" from PAG was so they wouldn't have to deal with this sorta thing. Limited line manufacturers are sometimes eligible for waivers from initial compliance during the phase-in periods of new regulations but I couldn't find one for RUF. Have you seen a RUF 997 without a sunroof and without manufacturer plates? Someone should ask them.
Can't really tell what the plate says on it.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 611 Posts

Thats a plain jane Utah personal plate. Nothing that special about it.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Thanks Jason. I wonder how RUF does it then?
All of the RUF VIN cars are converted in Europe. They are new uncompleted chassis that are transported from the Porsche factory to RUf where they are completed (the same thing is done at Mercedes with AMG). Ruf conversions (before RUF Autocentre was started in the US) were US cars that were delivered and then sent back to Germany for conversion.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I really want to know if anyone has made an inquiry into whether we can replace the sunroof with a non sunroof skin.
I don't know if anyone has made the inquiry; but you can have the sunroof welded shut, remove the tracks, motor and wiring, order a non-sunroof headliner through your local Porsche dealer and install it. No, the EPA can't even stop you from doing this. Just write a couple of checks...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

You don't have to weld that one when it's probably easier and you'll have better results replacing the roof panel for a non-sunroof one.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I don't know if anyone has made the inquiry; but you can have the sunroof welded shut, remove the tracks, motor and wiring, order a non-sunroof headliner through your local Porsche dealer and install it. No, the EPA can't even stop you from doing this. Just write a couple of checks...
Originally Posted by MJSpeed
You don't have to weld that one when it's probably easier and you'll have better results replacing the roof panel for a non-sunroof one.
Absolutely.

When welding the sunroof shut, you'll have to use bondo, not just to close the gaps but to smoothen the roof line (otherwise it won't look perfect).
Easier way (and most likely cheaper) to do this is to replace the whole roof panel.
By doing so, you'll get perfectly clean roof lines and it's not a "hack job", don't know about EPA though.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Absolutely.

When welding the sunroof shut, you'll have to use bondo, not just to close the gaps but to smoothen the roof line (otherwise it won't look perfect).
Easier way (and most likely cheaper) to do this is to replace the whole roof panel.
By doing so, you'll get perfectly clean roof lines and it's not a "hack job", don't know about EPA though.
Not to mention how much does the welding and bondo weigh?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:57 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 611 Posts

8lbs of JUST bondo, thats what the weight was on a M3 that was done. Who knows the real weight of other things, like the sunroof frame and such. I am guessing 12 lb difference between having sunroof welded and no sunroof at all. Apples to Apples.

And yes, it does still look like you welded the sunroof, you can see the outline of a sunroof.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a place that probably has the answers for anyone seriously wanting to import a 997 GT3 without a sunroof.
http://www.euro-rs.com/
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A nice option for me could be to wait for the 997 GT3 to hit the bottom price ($80k) and do this:

Carbon Fiber Roof

I won't be embarrassed by the E92 BMW M3 owners making fun of the 997 GT3 top hole.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A nice option for me could be to wait for the 997 GT3 to hit the bottom price ($80k) and do this:

Carbon Fiber Roof

I won't be embarrassed by the E92 BMW M3 owners making fun of the 997 GT3 top hole.
Don't give our plan out to everyone!

OK, it's been out for a while...

Quick Reply: Seriously, Can we replace the roof panel?