Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has anyone received a reply from their letter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Having worked with the folks from PAG over the past few years, I'll say it yet again:

Marketing now runs PAG under Dr W. Engineering takes a back seat to all matters.

If PCNA tells PAG that producing a (single) sunroof version will save money AND sell the exact same number of units, then PAG (marketing) directs PAG (engineering and production) to built it.

I was shocked how many people at PAG not only never worked on the aircooled Porsches, but how few even knew the models. The older employees will (privately) tell you that the company has changed forever under Dr W's 10 year plan.

Long time customer, enthusiast....means absolutely nothing under the new marketing plan and demographics studies.
Produce the vehicles against the plan (100K/year goal), as directed/specified by Marketing, for as much profit as possible, to as many new buyers as possible, the resulting 'overproduction' and customer turnover will provide an ample supply of CPO vehicles (remember back when....there were no CPO vehicles/programme), thus adding a second layer of 'new' Porsche customers.

Talk to your long term Porsche dealers.....I'm sure they're noticed a different in the customers and the company.

Yes, I know, cancelled orders from long time customers will get their attention......NOT.
Believe me, every cancelled 997GT3 order from an 'enthusiast' or 'long term owner' WILL be sold, there WILL be a second production run and those WILL be sold. Every letter sent to Peter or Dr W. will be smugly ignored, as I'm afraid you are becoming the minority in the demographic model.

arent our complaints and cancellations proof that a sunroof equipped GT3 will sell less units?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Itc,

I appreciate your input. Whether I like it or not what you've said makes sense. It's unfortunate but they not so much as forgot about the enthusiasts and the type of cars that made Porsche what it is but as you stated, many don't even know the company's history.

Still I believe that you don't do anything half way and therefore have followed through with taking this issue to PAG.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
Itc makes sense. When Porsche built cars for the enthusiasts they almost went under. They are a publicly heald business. Like it or not, the ONLY reason for a business to exist is to make as much of a profit possible. How many letters did they get 30? How many orders were cancelled 1-2-5? They are ot going to change their decisions because of the small number of us that are whinning about this.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:57 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
Jeff,
Itc makes sense. When Porsche built cars for the enthusiasts they almost went under. They are a publicly heald business. Like it or not, the ONLY reason for a business to exist is to make as much of a profit possible. How many letters did they get 30? How many orders were cancelled 1-2-5? They are ot going to change their decisions because of the small number of us that are whinning about this.
many of us will think twice about "upgrading " because of this issue, I believe sales will be lost and some of us will be found at meetings and shows lamenting the passing of the real 911 without a sunroof the 996, in 1999 could anyone ever imagine people someday saying keep your 996 its the real thing compared to the new car
Old 08-19-2006, 12:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cancelled orders only mean something if there is nobody to take the spot over. Actually, Porsche would rather have you cancell your order to make room for someone that will buy every option they can stuff in the car.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Having worked with the folks from PAG over the past few years, I'll say it yet again:

Marketing now runs PAG under Dr W. Engineering takes a back seat to all matters.

If PCNA tells PAG that producing a (single) sunroof version will save money AND sell the exact same number of units, then PAG (marketing) directs PAG (engineering and production) to built it.

I was shocked how many people at PAG not only never worked on the aircooled Porsches, but how few even knew the models. The older employees will (privately) tell you that the company has changed forever under Dr W's 10 year plan.

Long time customer, enthusiast....means absolutely nothing under the new marketing plan and demographics studies.
Produce the vehicles against the plan (100K/year goal), as directed/specified by Marketing, for as much profit as possible, to as many new buyers as possible, the resulting 'overproduction' and customer turnover will provide an ample supply of CPO vehicles (remember back when....there were no CPO vehicles/programme), thus adding a second layer of 'new' Porsche customers.

Talk to your long term Porsche dealers.....I'm sure they're noticed a different in the customers and the company.

Yes, I know, cancelled orders from long time customers will get their attention......NOT.
Believe me, every cancelled 997GT3 order from an 'enthusiast' or 'long term owner' WILL be sold, there WILL be a second production run and those WILL be sold. Every letter sent to Peter or Dr W. will be smugly ignored, as I'm afraid you are becoming the minority in the demographic model.
Sounds totally believable to me and hits close to home as the company I work for parallels this some path, going from and engineering company to a marketing company and loosing it soul along the way...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:32 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Sad but I guess true... but eventually Porsche AG will lose market share if they keep this up. How much longer can the ' 911 icon ' hold up as a dream car if the pedigree is lost.

From my experience many buyers of the 911 family are older adults who have a family and the means to acquire this toy. What if they tell their children the 997, 998 are not worthy of being called a 911, then the children buy some other toy and the Porsche sales chain in that family is broken. That is a loss of sales.

Many owners I have talked to who "always wanted a 911" and finally purchased one did not buy the latest and greatest "new 911".
- Some said a 964 was the newest 911 model they considered 'worthy' due to the lines of the car (especially front fenders).
- Others thought the 993 was still good enough.
- The 996 got the least votes, cause of the lines and water cooling, but the GT3 was a positive exception
- 997 no data other than most agree body curves are better than those of the 996

Last edited by enthusiast; 08-19-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
oh, so you know porsche plans for the next four years?
accurate not!
Jeff,
Yes, I know the PAG roadmap for the next 4 years (actually thru 2011), it is necessary for me to do the work that I am asked to perform.
During trips to Germany (and due to personal/health reasons, I have cut down significantly on my travel), I am often in contact with test mules, prototypes and design study vehicles (interestingly enough, almost always full black, always delivered in the middle of the night and seldom driven while we work on them)
(I remember going out to dinner with DaimlerChrysler engineers one night before the public unveiling of the Maybach, we took a Maybach mule to dinner in Esslingen and I called my wife from the rear seat and asked her to guess what I was driving that night; I recall seeing the Cayenne prototype for the first time while it was still a rumor, but I digress)
It is pointless to continue along this path; suffice it to say that I am open an honest in my posts.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
arent our complaints and cancellations proof that a sunroof equipped GT3 will sell less units?
Perhaps, but the total # of vehicles (sunroof in the US vs non sunroof RoW) will still be sold; that is the marketing calculus. It remains to be seen if they are once again proven correct.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 557 Posts

ltc,

When will the 998 come out?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Im also going to call B.S. on the crash testing explanation I doubt they crashed extra cars for this in the past and if they have to in the present then how about applying for a ...... variance, might this be a better solution then just throwing the roof at us all and telling us take it or leave it, if this is true why is it you can self import cars how does RUF sell cars without sunroof?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

lamenting the passing of the real 911 without a sunroof the 996, in 1999 could anyone ever imagine people someday saying keep your 996 its the real thing compared to the new car
how many times is the "real 911" going to die?
i wish they would at least change the model no. so we don't have to keep hearing about when the "real 911" or the "real gt3" died.
Im also going to call B.S. on the crash testing explanation I doubt they crashed extra cars for this in the past and if they have to in the present then how about applying for a ...... variance, might this be a better solution then just throwing the roof at us all and telling us take it or leave it, if this is true why is it you can self import cars how does RUF sell cars without sunroof?
if it's bs what is the real reason?
they just felt like pissing a bunch of customers off?
Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, I know the PAG roadmap for the next 4 years
for the gt3? or other 911's?
that's neat, but it's still just a general direction not written in stone.
Originally Posted by enthusiast
SWhat if they tell their childeren the 997, 998 are not worthy of being called a 911, then the childeren buy some other toy and the Porsche sales chain in that family is broken.
family has been buying 911's since 1977. dad got the first one from roger penske, who he knew from business. (penske still drives them, but he is just a poseur)
still buying them! no broken chain here!
Originally Posted by roberga
When Porsche built cars for the enthusiasts they almost went under. They are a publicly held business. Like it or not, the ONLY reason for a business to exist is to make as much of a profit possible. How many letters did they get 30? How many orders were cancelled 1-2-5? They are ot going to change their decisions because of the small number of us that are whinning about this.
publicly held but still controlled by the porsche and piech families.
of course they want to make a profit, everyone in business that wants to pay the bills does.
i think they have heard from a lot more than 30 people and it also makes a dif if they are hearing from the "no sunroof" crowd and not from the "sunroof" crowd. squeky wheel.
lost sales make a dif but total sales is the bottom line.

Last edited by icon; 08-19-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:38 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
how many times is the "real 911" going to die?
i wish they would at least change the model no. so we don't have to keep hearing about when the "real 911" or the "real gt3" died.
if it's bs what is the real reason?
they just felt like pissing a bunch of customers off?

I suspect 1)economies of scale,2) not wanting to spend the expense/hassle of applying for a variance 3) other posters claim they dont care about us as customers (the George Bush hates all bl*** people) excuse I dunno anyone else have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Has anyone received a reply from their letter?