Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3: sunroof and weight issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That's the spirit Palting. Of course, we know it is a compromise street legal car and a mass produced one at that. Much of what you and many of us, have listed as standard features for the GT3 are possible. If only we could get the Porsche AG engineers more authority.

Less Mass !
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the point is they are taking away one more thing from the NA market, something that doesn't need to be taken away and is being taken away without any justification or explaination from Porsche. The proverbial straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people...
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

based on that most people who buy this kind of car realize that it doensnt need a sunroof and shouldnt have one, and dont wnat one, most who have the sunroof use it rarely, thus I feel there would be less resistance to no sunroof than there is currently with sunroof, philisophically sunroof makes no sense here, however I believe best comprimise is what we had in the past with other Porsche models sunroof delete as option sunroof in most hardcore of Porsche =Poser to most, it may not be true but it implies such, people have talked of things like stripping AC etc, thats different from this, no sunroof has been a sign of high perfromance in the past and PCNA wants to remove that, one of my favorite things to do is to gently tap the roof of my GT2 and hear the hollow ping of no sound insulation, perhpas PCNA should build a GT3 komfort version with sound insulation, raised ride height, quieter exhaust and sunroof, maybe some spinners too hahha forgive the sarcasm guys
Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

How about this, the new Excellence has a Targa shown. According to Porsche the cost of DOT certification will not allow a non-sunroof GT3/RS but they can afford to test a Targa

Peter
C0-Founder Cannon Fodder Racing
Old 08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
How about this, the new Excellence has a Targa shown. According to Porsche the cost of DOT certification will not allow a non-sunroof GT3/RS but they can afford to test a Targa

Peter
C0-Founder Cannon Fodder Racing
Excellent point !
Old 08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
one of my favorite things to do is to gently tap the roof of my GT2 and hear the hollow ping of no sound insulation, perhpas PCNA should build a GT3 komfort version with sound insulation, raised ride height, quieter exhaust and sunroof
Yeah, I like that ping sound, too.

Bottom line is the 997 GT3 will be a poser car when compared to a 996 GT3. Like, hey, where is the center console delete option? I guess you just can't live without that fancy new on board computer. Looks to me like the only way to get rid of it would be to completely bastardize the interior. That makes two insurmountable interior obstacles for a 6'4" guy like myself. No headroom for the track, no room for my right knee to get out of my right hand's way when turning right. From an ergonomics perspective, it's a no-brainer for me (I have lowered seat tracks from the factory and did the Brey-Krausse lowering brackets when installing GT3 seats; now I have just enough room with a helmet). From an automotive designers point of view, the sunroof ruins the lines of an otherwise perfect crown surface.

Every hardcore track junkie I know is not buying one. Anyone who is looking to step up to a GT3 should be considering a pampered, nearly new 996 GT3. Save yourself the 20-30k and go get a classic.

Palting, you should buy one and see what all the fuss is about. They can be brutally fast when properly driven, even with stock suspension and AC and what not. GT3's are as far away from a cup car as is appropriate for being street legal(996). And within a few seconds a lap as well. For that matter, any production based car (cup car) will never really be a race car. They are all about 1200 lbs. too heavy with production based suspensions. You want fast? Check out the car to the left; thats a race car. About 15-20 seconds faster per lap than a cup car; thats fast.

Current Setup:

MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It's about choice! Let each individual decide whether or not they want a sunroof, don't force it down our throats. Make it standard and let us have an option to delete it! Make it a zero cost option like AC was on the 996 GT3. I don't care just let us have the choice!

This isn't the bloods and the crips, those that want it vs those that don't...this is something we all should want and that's choice!

All I hope is that the RS doesn't have it!!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

A choice would mean less profit for Porsche.

Another thread here confirms that the RS will have a sunroof.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree that it's a bummer we can't have a choice on the matter. I'll join any campaign you all launch to change that.

I disagree 997 GT3 is a poser simply because it has a sunroof. It would only be a poser, a street car posing as a race car, the same way that the 996 GT3 is a street car posing as a race car. Hey, the 997 GT3 is even faster than the 996 GT3 .
Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

good point just my opinion, because at first when we thought it wouldnt have one there wasnt some big outcry demanding the roof
Old 08-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Bottom line is the 997 GT3 will be a poser car when compared to a 996 GT3.
Garbage. The same nonsense has been said of the MkII vs MkI.
Every hardcore track junkie I know is not buying one.
Maybe so, but I'd say this is not a representative sample of the market even given the qualification of "hard core" -- I haven't seen a lot of people drop their 997 GT3 order (nobody ahead of me, anyway ...) and I don't expect to see PCNA have cars going unsold for any length of days.
Anyone who is looking to step up to a GT3 should be considering a pampered, nearly new 996 GT3. Save yourself the 20-30k and go get a classic.
Here, we tend to agree -- get the 996 version for driving even if it's not as easy on the eyes. But I'd hardly call the MkII a classic, it's just a very good example in a long lineage of great cars and one that has been built in ample numbers to continue the Porsche resale value problem of supply exceeding demand.

Palting, you should buy one and see what all the fuss is about. They can be brutally fast when properly driven, even with stock suspension and AC and what not. GT3's are as far away from a cup car as is appropriate for being street legal(996).
Agreed. The 996 GT3 MkII is a very good example of taking a very quick car and blurring the line between competition and street.
And within a few seconds a lap as well. For that matter, any production based car (cup car) will never really be a race car. They are all about 1200 lbs. too heavy with production based suspensions.
There's so many variables, how can such various cars be compared? Any given model of the Cup car might not be as quick around a given track as a dialed 993 Turbo street car set up on good suspension and running slicks, but it's a helluva race car with no need to qualify the sentence.[quote]You want fast? Check out the car to the left; thats a race car. About 15-20 seconds faster per lap than a cup car; thats fast.

Current Setup:

MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
How are those floating rotors going? Noisy? I'm tempted myself. And please get rid of the Teq bar -- it's just not enough.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Dear Porsche, when we thought the 996 was too civilized to soft and without dry sump you answered our prayers with the GT3, when it needed more power you gave us the GT2, when we thought the Cayenne was ugly you redeemed it by its high sales volume and it actually being a pretty good car, when we thought all you cared about was mass production you gave us the Carrera GT, when we thought all you cared about was profits you (slowly) have begun to return to racing, but with one small gesture you have swept away all that goodwill. We "enthusiasts" may be a pain in the butt to you but we are what sells cars, the "posers" buy because they know what we like is the real deal, here you stand at a crossroads, thumb your nose at us and we could go elsewhere, we dont want to, we are your most loyal customers, please give us what we want, let us pay more for less content on a car, let us pick and choose what we want on our car and let us buy the car everyone else in the world can, WWFPD? (what would Ferry Porsche Do?)

give us back sunroof delete! I am 6'2'' and I need it that way
I hate how a sunroof ruins styling
I dont want the extra weight
I have never used it in my previous cars
Is the cost realy worth the lost sales and internet smack talk?
PCNA are you listening?????
Old 08-19-2006, 11:22 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

theres a big difference between a car designed to be a "targa" and a coupe, The Carrera GT and its top is a totally different issue from denying us what we had before and everyone else has to (possibly) save a few bucks
Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
but the carrera gt has a hole in the roof?
this hardcore vs. poseur stuff is such bs!

jeff

heres the real difference for Porsche to consider, The "poser" is the guy who buys one of the first few cars at inflated markup with whatever options the dealer orders, he sells the car a few months later and goes on to the next "new thing" (ugly bird puts shiny things around its nest) the rest of us wait, dream, think about our cars and order them when the "hype" dies down, when there is that lull in sales after the "hype" we walk in the door, we are what keeps the delaership running after the first 1 or 2 "hype" cars sell/resell we are the ones that walk in the door that cold winter day and order a car, we are the ones friends look to for car advice we may not be the dumbassess that pay 10K markup (fewer and fewer of those people anyway) but we are the people who drive sales and bring in new customers, I think all we want it to be listened to, maybe the solution is not by writing to PCNA sounds like they are the ones who made the decision and dont want to say we goofed, maybe Porsche AG is who needs to hear our cries
Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

let me also add I don believe anyone on these boards is a "poser" posers dont care enough to be on a board, or theyre too busy reading motor trend

Quick Reply: GT3: sunroof and weight issues