997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

From the latest Panorama re:GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:19 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

if that is the case, how does that make you feel regarding the GT3? That would mean that they did crash test the 997 body and just are not going to bother with the delete for any 997 body car but the RS.
Old 07-28-2006 | 12:17 PM
JFT
Instructor

I have no idea how US crash testing is regulated Roberga. As I said, the order guide could be wrong. If it's correct then I would personally pick the RS over the GT3 every time. But I think most of your countrymen don't really care about the sunroof.... unfortunately.

Now, being a European, this is not an issue for me anyway. I am just pointing out that if the posted order guide is genuine and correct then there is clearly no sunroof for the US 997 RS, which I guess is good news for you guys.
Old 07-29-2006 | 09:22 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

JFT;

Please look again. I'm just reading what is printed in this document and realize it is probably a DRAFT with possible errors.

Sunroof ! Darn it.

See page 19, 650 sunroof

In the red colored "911 GT3 RS" column it is marked "NOT AVAILABLE" then lists "Exclusion" as shown below.

-: C02 (s), C36 (s), 003

I interpret that to mean, excluding C02 = US and C36 = Canada where the sunroof is standard.

Further note '003' applies when the Club Sport package is chosen for those specs where it is an option.

Unless there is a 'low volume production" exemption as someone else mentioned, any North America non sunroof 997 version needs the crash test. If Porsche AG did that test they might as well put the cage and seats in there and get them certified as a standard package

Last edited by enthusiast; 07-29-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2006 | 10:22 PM
AW
Pro

Well, if the sunroof is not available on the RS anywhere including the US, this proves that the mandatory sunroof on the 997 GT3 for "DOT / crash test" reasons is pure BS. This would also give me some hope that Porsche can ship a 997 GT3 in the US without the sunroof.

AW
Old 07-31-2006 | 05:51 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
North America will get:
No Roll Cage
No CF Seats
No Plexi Windows

With all the deletions, add in a widebody, sunroof and stickers, why do I think the US GT3RS is going to end up possibly weighing more than the US GT3 and for sure more than the ROW GT3...
Old 08-08-2006 | 08:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
There are even more features excluded from the USA GT3 RS. See the header of this Autoweek article from May.

So in summary, the USA GT3 RS is apparently nothing more than a ROW GT3 with wider rear fenders and a tacky 70s paint job.

After closely following the developments regarding the USA versions of the new GT3 and RS, I think Porsche is simply looking to rip off gullible American customers with more money than common sense.
Porsche is giving new meaning to the term "badge-*****." They're selling out the brand so fast, it makes your head spin. Nothing is sacred to those idiots, and they don't think twice about disappointing their enthusiast customers if it means making a few more sales to yuppie posers. For shame...

Quick Reply: From the latest Panorama re:GT3RS