What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:37 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Setup 1:

1. An E36 M3 ltw with 400hp on tap, all the safety gear, and limited worries about 'offs' and damage and stuff

+

2. 997S

Setup 2:

1. 997 GT3 or RS

+

2. Pickup

---------------------------------------------------------

I have two kids, and as they get older, I'd like to take camping, fishing and stuff. Having a p/u would be good in this respect, and I can park it anywhere and generally beat the schit out of it. It would also be nice to drive to work in ****ty weather in a beater (so to speak), and drive around town anonomously. The new GT3/RS would fulfill the need of having an occasional street car that is completely over the top and provide undeniable track entertainment.

OTOH, the BMW track car is special b/c its a ltw and has a handbuilt euro motor putting down serious juice. My S is a rocking great street car, but a PITA for things like going to the aiport or short trips around town.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

997gt3 with pick up...there is no substitute

not even a 997TT is a substitute
Old 07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Jeff,

No question dude. 997GT3/RS and a pickup is the righteous route!

You might remember me PM'ing you a bunch with questions about the track and the ceramics. I have an 05 launch car like yours now with GT3 seats, techquipment bar, Schroth harnesses and H&R lowering springs and sway bars(adjustable in the rear).

You helped with many questions, thanks.

I traded the E46 M3 in for the 997s and then got an 05 F-150. I use it in anything but gorgeous weather. It is a crewcab so the 4 doors allow me to take the family all over and also allows the wife something else to drive in case I take her vehicle.

Oh yeah, and I also use it to tow the 997s to the track with the Trailex trailer I got. That was not the reason I got the truck though!!!!!! Yeah right!!

I can't wait for the 997GT3. I was #2 on the list at the dealer and #1 got one of the first 70 or so allocations, so I am next!!

Deciding between Basalt Black, White or Speed Yellow. Also, can't decide about the ceramics. I love them on the 997s and even with their price and the fact I track her once a month, I believe they will probably be on the new car.

I spoke to 930man at the track this past outing,(by the way nice new 997tt), and I believe he is going to opt out of them.

Anyway, pickup and new GT3 and don't look back!

Chris
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jeff,

Set-up 2. As a family guy, set-up 1 won't cut it.

True the BMW LtW is a gem. But the time/$$$$ needed to keep it running right on tracks is simply daunting.

Just my 2 cents.

CP
Old 07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Uhh, man. This may be another (financially) painful transition. Damn!

Quick Reply: What would you do?