TC on 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC on 997 GT3

on the order guide it states that TC is standard, "including ABD, ASR and MSR"
No details are provided on how what they are or how they work. However, in the new 997 Turbo brochure they mention ABD (Automatic Brakes Differential" and ASR (Automatic Stability Regulation). The Turbo does not have MSR.
Does anybody know what MSR stand for, and how the combination of the three plus ABS is different than PSM?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know the acronym, but I guess they're referring to the LSD (limited slip differential ... not the stuff the marketing people at Porsche are using ...) because the 997 GT3 has TC (ASR) and a limited slip diff but not ABD (which was a terrible idea at best.)
As for comparing all those TLAs, PSM is active all the time and cannot be complete defeated, it works on four channels to control each brake and the engine power to intervene when sensors suggest the end is nigh. TC is just managing traction, not stability, so it suppresses power-on over-steer but won't help you if you lift-off mid turn. God help you then.
There's no point in ABD and MSR (why have two types of limited differential at once?)
Other than that, of course I could be mistaken, but I don't think ASR=TC per se. Maybe TC=ASR+MSR (AKA LSD) ... : )
OK?

OO.

(with credit to RW for his skit in GMV...)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSD is listed separetely as standard equipment. My guess id that TC is a lot more like PSM than Porsche Porsche would have us think.

Quick Reply: TC on 997 GT3