Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Issues with headlight latching mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 02:45 PM
ngng
Drifting

Default Issues with headlight latching mechanism?

Has anybody encountered issues with the factory headlight system? Lost my headlight under heavy braking at Laguna this weekend. After the meatball I came in and inspected the car. Nothing out of the ordinary. I check the other headlight and didn't feel any play either. Amazingly, only the edge of the light was cracked and I was able to reinsert it and drive home after the event...I guess HIDs aren't as fragile as we thought they were lol

The following users liked this post:
smceo (09-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 02:48 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I remember Obsessed Garage losing a 991 headlight at some point. This was on his Sapphire Blue 991.1 GT3 if I remember correctly. But I think it was when he had it out for something else.

Unless it wasn’t secured from the last time it was removed, that seems surprising. Having taken those headlights out on a prior 997, I know sometimes it was tricky to know when it was actually snapped in.
Old 09-10-2024 | 03:34 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I remember Obsessed Garage losing a 991 headlight at some point. This was on his Sapphire Blue 991.1 GT3 if I remember correctly. But I think it was when he had it out for something else.

Unless it wasn’t secured from the last time it was removed, that seems surprising. Having taken those headlights out on a prior 997, I know sometimes it was tricky to know when it was actually snapped in.
I haven't had the headlight out for years and have been on track with the car since then with no issues. There were an awful lot of rumble strips this weekend though...!
Old 09-10-2024 | 05:40 PM
00 Scrub
Instructor

I’ve seen it happen before on a 991 at an auto-x. I guess it’s something to check/add for the pre event checklist?
Old 09-10-2024 | 11:01 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00 Scrub
I’ve seen it happen before on a 991 at an auto-x. I guess it’s something to check/add for the pre event checklist?
I'm going to either check or remove in the future. The mechanism is kind of weird, there's no indication the headlight is actually secured. When you unlock it, the cam spits the light out. To lock it, you press it in and twist the cam in the other direction.

The damage was actually pretty minimal, I think it's just the corner of the cover that's broken and those can be easily replaced. I'm debating doing that or giving the Morimotos a try. Not bad for ejecting itself on track.
Old 09-12-2024 | 02:00 AM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What turn did you lose it on? Impressed that the assembly wasn’t severely damaged that bad for being flown off track. I would have to guess that the lever arm behind the lights were already slightly disengaged and not fully secured and just “popped” out. Mine came out very easily without turning the mechanism much when I removed it for PPF.

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

Old 09-12-2024 | 12:15 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by smceo
What turn did you lose it on? Impressed that the assembly wasn’t severely damaged that bad for being flown off track. I would have to guess that the lever arm behind the lights were already slightly disengaged and not fully secured and just “popped” out. Mine came out very easily without turning the mechanism much when I removed it for PPF.
Lost it in T11. I'm surprised they a) didn't hit the front of the car, b) explode. I'll snap a photo next time I'm at the shop. There's some damage to the bottom of the light and the light cover, but that's really it.
The following users liked this post:
smceo (09-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Issues with headlight latching mechanism?