93.10%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

PPF - To replace piece or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024 | 12:17 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JGEMDOC
While we are at it. How many of you would do your own 2 step paint correction and stone chip fixes on the hood
we will find out this winter… bought a Labor Day sell kit package off chemical guys w/random orbital yesterday, I’m getting new ppf this winter so I’m trying to take the sting out

Old 09-05-2024 | 12:32 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

While we are at it. How many of you would do your own 2 step paint correction and stone chip fixes on the hood
It's not hard just time consuming. Make sure you get a great stone chip kit. I have a 2 stage one, can't remember the name but easily findable on the web. Another thing is that you can't paint correct and stone chip fix not eh sam day. You should let the paint harden for a few days before you attack it with a da wheel. Some will paint correct first then fix the chips but fixing the chips requires you to apply running alcohol on the paint so those areas will have their coatings removed and you'll have to reapply.

Here's the upside about doing it yourself, it's way cheaper and if you don't like your work you can just remove the work you've done with rubbing alcohol.
Old 09-05-2024 | 12:58 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
we will find out this winter… bought a Labor Day sell kit package off chemical guys w/random orbital yesterday, I’m getting new ppf this winter so I’m trying to take the sting out
Which polisher and pads come with it? I think I've used Chemical Guys pads and they were ok, didn't cut as expected. But with random orbitals, its hard to f things up. Lots of good youtube videos too if you want to see a tutorial prior to starting.
Old 09-05-2024 | 02:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

For pads I use Rupes and Flex. Those work nice for me and they are what they say they are. Medium is a tru medium, etc.... Also like the Menzerna products.
Old 09-05-2024 | 02:40 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
Which polisher and pads come with it? I think I've used Chemical Guys pads and they were ok, didn't cut as expected. But with random orbitals, its hard to f things up. Lots of good youtube videos too if you want to see a tutorial prior to starting.
I just bought a random orbital because I dont trust myself... but this is definitely the best Labor Day sell deal they have

https://www.chemicalguys.com/product...3eaa4838&_ss=c

Last edited by Wonderdan; 09-05-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2024 | 10:09 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

yeah i think im gonna give it a go. i know i cant do the chips and paint correct the same day. i would probably wait like a week or so between them.
Old 09-05-2024 | 10:18 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Sell the car, there is no recovery from this magnitude of damage.
Old 09-06-2024 | 04:15 AM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

i think what keeps me from doing the stone chips it the sanding part - makes me so anxious, but then again, the areas that look like swiss cheese, i cant really mess up any more so practice there i guess, and if it needs to be repainted, so be it
Old 09-06-2024 | 05:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Hi Everyone - just want to thank you all for the replies. I know to some, this is super minor and to others, they may understand how annoying this can be. I don't have issue replacing it, only concerned with the paint risk of PPF removal, which while always there, it's very small on original paint. I'm likely going to leave it and learn to embrace my obsessiveness vs give into it. It is a car after all. Seeing the number of "leave it" votes, definitely makes me realize it's just me being nutty, which is actually good. It's unfortunate how much of a thing original paint is in the Porsche world, but I also understand it to have 99% certainty a car hasn't been in an accident. Also, having seen resprays, few are as good as factory paint. I purposely wanted to wait until more replies came in towards the end of the week, which is why I replied late. Always appreciate the respectfulness of the 997 GT community to give great input.

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Well, that's not gonna be cheap. If it were me, I'd leave it as you could very well replace it and the very first drive something nicks it again. But if you must, I would try to mitigate the cost by removing the old ppf myself. I just did a first gen Toyota Tacoma that had two layers of window tint on it. Yes, two layers. Take about a pain in the a**. Well that was until I sent my son down to Harbor Freight to buy a steamer, which made the process incredibly easy. Only issue with the red steamer from Harbor Freight is it leaks a teeny bit and those leaks can scald your arms. I'm still healing and next time I'll just wear a long sleeve flannel to provide some protection.

If there is sticky residue left on the paint a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol makes for easy removal of that stuff. Just remember, don't attempt to remove the PPF without the steamer. It's a night and day difference and the steamer will keep the ppf from pulling off any paint. You can also use a heat gun but room for error is smaller. If you want to do the steam method without the steamer, AMMO has a video where they use hot boiling water and rags. Looks more time consuming but you're not doing an entire car.

Those nicks look like they happened with someone getting in and out of the vehicle.
Ed - thanks again for the input. Appreciate it. Have seen the boiling hot water method. Would definitely go steam as there's a 99% likelihood I'd burn myself with the boiling water method. But also good to know the Harbor Freight Steamer will leak.

Glad you were able to get tint off. Working in interiors is always harder too. Small space and trying to not get interior panels and electronics too wet.

Me personally I’d leave it alone. My entire car is covered and I see a lot of similar areas in the front and lower sides. Better the film than the car. When you really need to replace it, take care of it then
Good to know that this is pretty common to have stuff like this. A prior car I had a rock go through the film on the front and a friend has had that happen too. On white it'll stand out a bit more. This was caused by a person, not a rock, but good move on waiting to replace. Appreciate the input.

def leave it… that’s nothing imo, I could get that just breathing on it

the reason you see it more is cause the dirt is now under it… I take alcohol and clean my nicks out after a washing, it makes me feel better about not spending $10k and then knowing I have to do it all over again
Thanks Dan. Good move on trying to clean it out. May give that a try.

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
leave
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
2-year old PPF should come off easily with heat and steam and virtually no risk to paint. I would leave it though - not worth the work and cost for something so minor.
Yes, one of the reasons I was considering doing it now is the film being new. But good call on leaving it due to how minor it is.

Originally Posted by vma1788
I think PPF only makes sense if you can change it out in sections. I removed some old PPF with steam and it was super easy, even on a front bumper that had been repainted it had no issue.
Agree regarding sections. If I was doing film again, I would definitely do a second layer over the rear hips. That area as we know gets peppered. Didn't do second layer because I feel you have to stop somewhere. PPF on your PPF just sounds extreme. First drive after getting film done a couple years ago I had something hit the film on the drivers side and stain it. Wouldn't be noticeable if it wasn't white.

if you want to feel better i can post some nicely peppered wheel arches and rockers. just leave them for now unless you loose sleep obsessing over them
Haha, thanks!

Originally Posted by JS
I would leave that.
Thanks!

I do my own paint correction on other cars. But I haven't paint corrected the GT3 yet. Regarding stone chips, I've become a huge fan of the Fine Line Paint pens on amazon and dr color chip as mentioned in the link below. You can have really good results.

Here's a thread I did on the touchup method and it'll show you just how crazy I am in regards to correcting small issues: https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...w-cornell.html

I would. If I wasn't lazy. Which is also why I PPF'd entire car haha

Its pretty easy. If you were near by, I'd bring all my crap over and help you do it. I've had good luck with Dr Colorchip.
Second Dr Colorchip and also second helping if I was close by!

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Sell the car, there is no recovery from this magnitude of damage.
Haha! While I'm not there with this one, there are times with imperfections I get a bit crazy, as I'm sure you can tell. It's a personality flaw. But I also feel with how particular Porsche people are, it's made it worse. With most brands, flaws are expected. Ferrari's have leather lifting off the dashboards. BMW's (on the E46's/E39's) have rust issues. Most AMG's are just used like normal cars. But Porsche people want everything perfect and even if you're not in the market to sell, I at least feel a need to confirm to it. Even though you shouldn't.

i think what keeps me from doing the stone chips it the sanding part - makes me so anxious, but then again, the areas that look like swiss cheese, i cant really mess up any more so practice there i guess, and if it needs to be repainted, so be it
With the method I linked above, you shouldn't need to sand. Or if you do, you can cut out a small piece of sand paper, put it on the tip of a pencil eraser and go to town. I tend to mask off the area as well to lock in what I'm working on. Learned these tricks from Larry at Ammonyc via his videos.
Old 09-06-2024 | 08:17 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

I'm going to try and do a door this weekend, I'll record some of it for the forum... ppf on my doors is 7 years old.
Old 09-06-2024 | 08:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I'm going to try and do a door this weekend, I'll record some of it for the forum... ppf on my doors is 7 years old.
Where are you getting your ppf from?
Old 09-06-2024 | 09:32 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Where are you getting your ppf from?
ohh I’m only doing the removal, I have to go with the brand that the only custom cut installer in my town uses which is xpel. The other guys do precut sheets and don’t wrap edges.
Old 09-06-2024 | 11:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

ohh I’m only doing the removal, I have to go with the brand that the only custom cut installer in my town uses which is xpel. The other guys do precut sheets and don’t wrap edges.
Yea, I tried to buy some and it's pretty impossibly unless you're a licensed installer. I was hoping that you had a secret source. hehehe
Old 09-07-2024 | 01:40 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Yea, I tried to buy some and it's pretty impossibly unless you're a licensed installer. I was hoping that you had a secret source. hehehe
I bought a 3M ppf pro sheet off eBay and did the front of my f250, that’s when I realized I’m no good with an exacto knife and won’t be doing it again
Old 09-07-2024 | 10:43 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

You should be able to grab some here: https://www.xpel.com/shop/protective...-custom-length

They have custom lengths/sizes as well as pre cut.

I've seen people try to DIY it and it doesn't come out well though. Someone was mentioning to me they did DIY on their car and when I saw their car, it was very obvious they didn't use a professional. Even the professionals will have issues working with the material. I've seen "the best" installers have stretch marks, finger prints, lifting edges (that is sort of expected), edges that aren't trimmed right, bubbles (also expected and should dissipate). Almost all the best installers will still have follow-up/trimming to do which is expected since edges can lift. I would have zero issue doing a pre cut kit on a daily driver, like my BMW, since the goal would be to prevent rock chips to prevent corrosion, but on any car I cared about, I'm going professional.

We're lucky that Esoteric just opened a location in Cleveland too, but California is like the PPF epicenter with all the best installers.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: PPF - To replace piece or not