Strong fuel smell inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 12:38 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Strong fuel smell inside cabin

I had my car out at an autocross last weekend and it developed a fuel smell. This is a new one for me. Any ideas what the likely culprit will be? The smell started as it dropped closer to 1/2 tank which should be max sloshing in the tank. I notice it most a few seconds after start up as the vent fan comes in. Definitely seems to be coming through the dash vents, and I can smell it more faintly under the frunk. The fuel cap was tight, and there was wet fuel sloshed all the way to the cap itself when I removed it. Years ago, I had one occurrence of not being able to pump any fuel into the tank. It seems like that can be the vent valve by the intake manifold hanging up. I thought this might be related, but after studying the parts diagram, I'm not sure. It seems like there's also a leak tester module that can go bad, and I've seen other cars with cracked sending units etc. I guess I need to pop the cover off the tank and see if there's anything obvious. It was definitely quite strong when I parked the car in the trailer for the day. Definitely need to get this corrected before the car goes anywhere under its own power.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,107 Posts

pull the trim in frunk
check the vent box, and hoses, and fuel filler
This is the carbon / canister
Its similar to this on the GT3:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Next step would be pulling carpets and checking the tank and hoses.

If you search this sub-forum for EVAP you should be able to find posts with the diagrams and hose flows. The PET has it too but the drawings are not exactly how it looks in implementation. Note the GT3 does not have a valve in the engine bay, it's vented to the intake and/or oil tank (I forget exactly).

Last edited by Spyerx; 05-22-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:52 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
pull the trim in frunk
check the vent box, and hoses, and fuel filler
This is the carbon / canister
Its similar to this on the GT3:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Next step would be pulling carpets and checking the tank and hoses.

If you search this sub-forum for EVAP you should be able to find posts with the diagrams and hose flows. The PET has it too but the drawings are not exactly how it looks in implementation. Note the GT3 does not have a valve in the engine bay, it's vented to the intake and/or oil tank (I forget exactly).
PET seems to show 2 fuel sending units, but one of them isn't listed with a part number? ... Some PET images seem to only show one sender, but I have seen a picture of a cup car tank that clearly had two. Are they just the same part?
Old 05-26-2024, 02:44 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Had the same problem years ago in my 987 car. The carbon canister filter was full. Smell still there … turns out the fuel tank had a crack on the next near where the fuel stations’ nozzle comes in

Really have no idea why that happened …
Old 05-26-2024, 12:43 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

My new 6-3 sender did this but caused an evap code. U should smoke test the system as its the easiest way to find a leak.

No evidence of fire but it somehow melted.

Suppose to look like this.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:22 AM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for the charcoal canister causing that strong fuel smell.
A faulty fuel pressure regulator can also lead to leaks and odors. Check it and its connected lines for any leaks.
Fuel injectors can sometimes leak where they meet the intake manifold, so inspect those seals as well.
If the smell is worse with a half tank, there might be an issue with the tank or its sealing.

Quick Reply: Strong fuel smell inside cabin