Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sell .2 GT3 to chase my .1 RS dream?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 12:55 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,090 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
For starters, can't love this thread enough. All the insight, shared experience, blend of perspectives, technical expertise, and best of all, the enabling . . .

A year ago, I would have given you a fairly self-assured suggestion that the grass was not greener, and that we were both probably just antsy, and needed to enjoy what we had. 6 months ago, I'd have been less resolute. 3 months ago, I was doing spreadsheet math.

So here's the thing - there's every objective reason in the world NOT to switch, and none of it matters. My .2 was nearly perfect for me, and I didn't think it was possible to enjoy something more. But it is.

Will you find it underwhelming? Absolutely not. I missed the torque for about 10 minutes. After that - and on every drive since - just grinning uncontrollably at the sport-bike-esque playfulness of the 3.6. I don't miss the 3.8 at all. Spec-wise - just find PCCB and keep your buckets. The rest is icing on the cake. Will the value temper your enthusiasm? Probably a little. But whatever you find will likely be ~ 10k miles or less, so you'll have several years of essentially "free" mileage without detracting value. But there are other considerations there. I'm currently brainstorming Spec Boxster plans because I've realized I just can't track the Pumpkin with abandon. And that's fine. It will see track time, but when it costs $2k a weekend to insure, some of the enjoyment is lost. Will you recover your investment? Nope. And that will suck until the moment the Kermit rolls off the delivery truck . . .

This is entirely about the intangible. On paper, these cars are all so similar. I'd wager that P-GT outsiders would be hard-pressed to drive them back to back and come away with even a remote understanding of why an RS is a bill more than its "regular" counterpart. If you're a food guy, it's the difference between the best street taco you've ever had, and that same taco at Pujol. It's the whole experience. It's an event.

You're already there. Make it happen.
The last nail in the coffin. Thank you. I'm going to put the car on consignment at top dollar and see what happens. I guess the search really started when I started looking at sale listings.

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I second the PCCB… it sounds dumb but I really hate break dust. Granted i only ever drive my steels with race pads so they are extra dirty.

You don’t get much superficial attention in an RS like you would a Ferrari/lambo etc which I love. However when a 17 year old racing enthusiast sees you they will crawl out of their window on a freeway just to tell you how lucky you are.

If you have ever seen those viral videos of people in super cars being asked what they do for a living… that would prob never happen…love driving a car that has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the experience.
Thinking I'd rather skip PCCBs and go straight to STs. Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
jreifler (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I’m lazy and rarely wash my cars. So I pick colors that don’t show and pccb PURELY for brake dust; not “feel”. If irons, wheels are black or dark grey; no questions asked.
My interests in PCCBs and more so with STs is weight. Whatever I buy is getting put through a diet. It makes everything better and I find these cars porky.
SupraSaiyan (02-14-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@Wonderdan @widers911 I just drove through Baja California in my 992 T. That car was like hanging out with Keith Richards at a Stones reunion. I'm okay with some attention in small doses but agree with Dan that I love riding under the radar.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:01 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts

On the .1s, having PCCBs also means the front rotors are upsized from 350mm to 380mm and the wheel carrier is a different design (much closer to the .2 wheel carrier but not identical). If you wanted to run STs on a factory steel car I’d think you’d also want to switch to the PCCB wheel carrier so you can run the larger front rotors.

Last edited by Vocan; 02-12-2024 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo in rotor size
The following 2 users liked this post by Vocan:
LCCHOU (03-04-2024), Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 01:04 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
The last nail in the coffin. Thank you. I'm going to put the car on consignment at top dollar and see what happens. I guess the search really started when I started looking at sale

I kinda see them as the same unless they arnt original spec… my pccb are basically new so I’ll never track them, but that also means I have to swap rotors and pads which is annoying, but I like seeing OE all the way around for general use
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 01:15 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 95 Posts

Having owned ones with PCCBs and ones without, I am a full convert to PCCBs (in an ideal world). But with so few examples available, and then factor in $, condition etc, exceptions may have to be made. Stick with your non negotiable color scheme...but every other option should be irrelevant if the right car, right price and right condition/history presents itself, IMO
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 200 Posts

From a driving standpoint 997.2 GT3 > 997.1 GT3RS

In terms of long-term value 997.1 GT3RS > 997.2 GT3

Decide what's more important and go with that.
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:29 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

My interests in PCCBs and more so with STs is weight. Whatever I buy is getting put through a diet. It makes everything better and I find these cars porky.
yes I should have said ccb. ST or PCCB great. ST better.
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:05 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Tough call. I think you have a great 911 with the 3.8 GT3. But I also know how it feels to lust after a 997 RS. If you were looking to replace it with a .2 RS then it's a no brainer for me.

Can't go wrong with either option. Just go with whatever your heart tells you... Sounds like it's the .1 RS!
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:06 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Call made. Agreed on price and the car is going on sale in about a week. There's an interested party from the club who inquired a couple of weeks ago and was told it wasn't for sale. I'll keep you guys posted on the journey.
The following 5 users liked this post by Wilder:
Finlander (02-22-2024), jreifler (02-12-2024), smceo (02-12-2024), Vocan (02-12-2024), widers911 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:09 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 413 Likes on 196 Posts

Call made. Agreed on price and the car is going on sale in about a week. There's an interested party from the club who inquired a couple of weeks ago and was told it wasn't for sale. I'll keep you guys posted on the journey.
Excited to see it!

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

Old 02-12-2024, 04:24 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 507 Posts

The last nail in the coffin. Thank you. I'm going to put the car on consignment at top dollar and see what happens. I guess the search really started when I started looking at sale listings.

Hell yes. Preliminary congrats!

I'd never had PCCB before this car. Would swap in Girodiscs right away if I was tracking heavily, but love the "this is how an RS was meant to be" vibe of the CCB. Of course the unsprung weight advantage is also nice, but prob not nearly as impactful as dropping ~50 lbs off the rear with an Akra exhaust.

Originally Posted by widers911
That attention is WRT the color. An orange or green .1rs is not flying under the radar like a white RS. Likely not Ferrari or Lambo flash but it's sticking out, big time!
This. Basalt .2 was understated. Bright orange winged thing with graphics is something else around town. Where I live, it might as well be an orange Lambo.
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:49 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

The only way to truly know is to experience stuff yourself! RL opinions are great but they often vary and even my own have changed over time. Good luck with the swap.
Wilder (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

I'd make PCCB vs iron a lower consideration on a 997. Finding the right 997 from a condition perspective would be my first priority. If it has PCCBs, that is a bonus. If not, add ST's.
SupraSaiyan (02-14-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:33 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smceo
Excited to see it!
To clarify, I'm putting my car up on consignment. Haven't found its replacement yet.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'd make PCCB vs iron a lower consideration on a 997. Finding the right 997 from a condition perspective would be my first priority. If it has PCCBs, that is a bonus. If not, add ST's.
That's the plan.

Thank you everyone for the support and enabling. Most of you are so predictable.

Quick Reply: Sell .2 GT3 to chase my .1 RS dream?