Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS going in full service + upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024 | 08:42 PM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyGT3
I'm pretty sure I've seen you in West Chester, car is great!

1. Def do shift cables and new shifter. My old 997 gt3 shifter was gross and worn.
2. Stop all work and sell it to me.

Best of luck!

multiple suggestions on cables and/or shifter.

Great upgrade in my opinion, as I run them in my 911s.

This could be done as a stand alone repair pretty easily. As of now the owner appreciated the feel of the OEM shifter. Unless he says otherwise 😈
Old 01-31-2024 | 09:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyGT3
I'm pretty sure I've seen you in West Chester, car is great!

1. Def do shift cables and new shifter. My old 997 gt3 shifter was gross and worn.
2. Stop all work and sell it to me.

Best of luck!
What shifter and cables did you go with? .1, .2 or numeric? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2024 | 09:23 PM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I have numeric towers and cables in both my 996 turbo and 40th AE.

I also had them in my 7.1 GT3 and 7.1 GT3RS
Old 01-31-2024 | 10:06 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 648 Posts

Personally I landed on the numeric cables as a wear item and a new OE short shifter. The numeric is quite mechanical because it has no plastics to absorb energy and is friction free, so it’s amazing on the track. However for street it felt like I was clanking around a bit to get to gears, not bad because it’s precise but not smooth either. Both setups are great when the car is fully warmed.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-31-2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2024 | 07:57 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian@PaEuros
I have numeric towers and cables in both my 996 turbo and 40th AE.

I also had them in my 7.1 GT3 and 7.1 GT3RS
Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Personally I landed on the numeric cables as a wear item and a new OE short shifter. The numeric is quite mechanical because it has no plastics to absorb energy and is friction free, so it’s amazing on the track. However for street it felt like I was clanking around a bit to get to gears, not bad because it’s precise but not smooth either. Both setups are great when the car is fully warmed.
Thanks! I’m considering doing new .2 shift console and cables in mine. Having some unrelated work done this spring and debating adding that to the list. I know they’re essentially wear items and I hear the .2 parts are good. Will do more research.
Old 02-02-2024 | 08:09 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NPR
Hi, No Politics Racing here. I would be happy to help you with a limited slip differential. We have two types of LSDs for the G50 platform - The Club and the Torque Flow. Here is a link to my website - my contact information is listed at the bottom https://nopoliticsracing.com/996-997/
@NPR have you guys considered producing the 3.89 r&p?
Old 02-02-2024 | 09:45 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I’m considering doing new .2 shift console and cables in mine. Having some unrelated work done this spring and debating adding that to the list. I know they’re essentially wear items and I hear the .2 parts are good. Will do more research.
I went back and forth, I do think it could easier to miss a gear with the OE .2 shifter than the numeric. The numeric is metal on metal on metal, so you can really “feel” the transmission in a way… especially if you weight the ***.

That being said I only kinda want that at the track which I rarely get to do, so I found the OE .2 with the numeric steel cables to be the best of both worlds with the weights. OG had that opinion on his last build and inspired me to do some testing.
Old 02-02-2024 | 09:52 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 523 Posts

I went back and forth, I do think it could easier to miss a gear with the OE .2 shifter than the numeric. The numeric is metal on metal on metal, so you can really “feel” the transmission in a way… especially if you weight the ***.

That being said I only kinda want that at the track which I rarely get to do, so I found the OE .2 with the numeric steel cables to be the best of both worlds with the weights. OG had that opinion on his last build and inspired me to do some testing.
Had Numeric in my .2, and had it with cables in my GT4. Now that I've had some time in the RS with OE shifter, I don't think I'll go back to the Numeric. It is indeed much tighter than OE, and truly feels like a bolt-action rifle, but it's REALLY notchy. Personally felt it occasionally too rigid for 3rd upshifts, which is where you're most likely to miss under heavy acceleration / aggressive shifts.

I think if you're looking to firm things up a little and feel a bit more of the mechanical connection, the cables alone would be a good upgrade.
Old 02-02-2024 | 09:54 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan! Ultimately my goal would be preventing the shift cables from failing for the foreseeable future, not forever but 10-15 years is fine. Mine are original to my knowledge and with almost 30k miles, they may be ok for another 10k+ miles, but age is also a consideration. The 997.1 cables are actually a 996 part number. I’m going to do a bit more reading over the weekend, but will likely do a .2 shifter and cables when the time comes. I know Tom from TPC racing did .2 cables in his .1 GT3 as well and was happy with it. Numeric seems great but I think the shifter may be a bit much for my needs and I do tend to prefer OEM parts as much as possible unless there is a real advantage to aftermarket that can be disputed, like an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-02-2024 | 10:04 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan! Ultimately my goal would be preventing the shift cables from failing for the foreseeable future, not forever but 10-15 years is fine. Mine are original to my knowledge and with almost 30k miles, they may be ok for another 10k+ miles, but age is also a consideration. The 997.1 cables are actually a 996 part number. I’m going to do a bit more reading over the weekend, but will likely do a .2 shifter and cables when the time comes. I know Tom from TPC racing did .2 cables in his .1 GT3 as well and was happy with it. Numeric seems great but I think the shifter may be a bit much for my needs and I do tend to prefer OEM parts as much as possible unless there is a real advantage to aftermarket that can be disputed, like an aftermarket exhaust.
I get ya, if mine didn’t already have numeric I’d go with whatever the 4.0 had, which I’d think is the same for all 10-
Old 02-02-2024 | 11:40 AM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 149 Posts

I have the Numeric shifter and .2 cables, which I’m very satisfied with. At the longest throw setting and after playing with the cable adjustment it’s not really any more difficult to shift than my stock .1 shifter is but is a nice upgrade in precision and feel. The .2 shifter is identical to the .1 save for one metal bushing and I’d be surprised if you could tell much of a difference given that it’s still 95% plastic. You could also consider the Function First upgrade, which is much cheaper than a new OEM shifter and replaces more of the plastic.

You could always try the numeric and if you don’t like it just sell it, I think they’re pretty easy to move. It’s a pretty significant material and feel upgrade and it was much less extreme than I expected it to be based on the forum feedback.
Old 02-02-2024 | 01:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vocan
I have the Numeric shifter and .2 cables, which I’m very satisfied with. At the longest throw setting and after playing with the cable adjustment it’s not really any more difficult to shift than my stock .1 shifter is but is a nice upgrade in precision and feel. The .2 shifter is identical to the .1 save for one metal bushing and I’d be surprised if you could tell much of a difference given that it’s still 95% plastic. You could also consider the Function First upgrade, which is much cheaper than a new OEM shifter and replaces more of the plastic.

You could always try the numeric and if you don’t like it just sell it, I think they’re pretty easy to move. It’s a pretty significant material and feel upgrade and it was much less extreme than I expected it to be based on the forum feedback.
Thanks! Since I'm having someone do the install for me, I'm trying to find the best solution out of the box to avoid paying for labor 2x. Glad you like the .2 cables.

Definitely would consider the Function First upgrade too. All really good suggestions. Appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2024 | 01:49 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks! Since I'm having someone do the install for me, I'm trying to find the best solution out of the box to avoid paying for labor 2x. Glad you like the .2 cables.

Definitely would consider the Function First upgrade too. All really good suggestions. Appreciate it.
Got it. I will say that since you mentioned you usually do your own interior work, the shifter is a very easy swap to DIY. Basically just pull the center console, pull the springs forward on the shifter to release the cables and undo 4 nuts. Easier than the PCCM swap you already did, in my opinion. The cables are a more finicky task and I could see paying someone to handle those to avoid the hassle (I did).
Old 02-02-2024 | 02:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Had Numeric in my .2, and had it with cables in my GT4. Now that I've had some time in the RS with OE shifter, I don't think I'll go back to the Numeric. It is indeed much tighter than OE, and truly feels like a bolt-action rifle, but it's REALLY notchy. Personally felt it occasionally too rigid for 3rd upshifts, which is where you're most likely to miss under heavy acceleration / aggressive shifts.

I think if you're looking to firm things up a little and feel a bit more of the mechanical connection, the cables alone would be a good upgrade.
Nice to hear. I have no issues with shifting my car and don't feel the need for an upgrade so nice to hear the opinion that stock is good too.
Old 02-02-2024 | 02:09 PM
sirringo
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Got it. I will say that since you mentioned you usually do your own interior work, the shifter is a very easy swap to DIY. Basically just pull the center console, pull the springs forward on the shifter to release the cables and undo 4 nuts. Easier than the PCCM swap you already did, in my opinion. The cables are a more finicky task and I could see paying someone to handle those to avoid the hassle (I did).
Cables are MUCH easier if you have a lift or even Quickjacks FWIW. Shifter is indeed easy.

Quick Reply: GT3RS going in full service + upgrades