GT2 Carbon Folding Seats Bolster Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 02:06 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts
Default GT2 Carbon Folding Seats Bolster Replacement

Hey Guys,

I figured I'd try and tackle this and let you know how hard or easy it was. I'm not a video guy like OG so I'll see if I can help you guys with some photos and any questions you may have. One could argue that this job is for a pro, but I would argue that imo there are probably very few pros that work with the care a $10k seat needs.

Prep: Buy a replacement GT2 bolster on Suncoast parts, then remove your car seat by unplugging the battery first then unplugging the airbag.

This first pic is just me turning on max annoy at the house for this project.

First I removed the alcantara inserts velcroed into the seats, easy.

Remove the plastic panel with 3 hex T25 screws on the driver bolster side

Peal back the leader from the inside of the hole, it will be attached by a white velcro as seen in this pic

From the backside of the seat peal back the velcro attached to the bolster, you will notice a foam pad that the bolster is wrapped around. This foam does not come out, the bolster is simply wrapped around it and velcroed to the hard back of the seat.

You can now pull the rest of the velcro on the bolster up working from the rear to the front, once you are over the panic you just ruined your bolster you'll see that its just connected now by the outside ridge/rim of the seat. It almost looks like its possibly secured there with some magic, like you may need to take the seat apart... but no

Starting from the bottom front under the seat you will see a little tab

Using a screw driver or something with the ability to pry, pull the tab down slightly to help release the plastic insert that runs the length of the bolster

You'll see from the replacement bolster how this looks, after pealing the old bolster inside out and over start to work the plastic ribbed piece out from the channel on the seat

you'll notice little metal tabs attached, these need to be saved... also be careful when pulling them out because they can scratch the clearcoat, you'll see later I ended up putting painters tape on to protect it, you might do this before this step by placing painters tape as close to the underside of the bolster rim next to the carbon fiber

You'll see here i'm pulling it out slowly, however it would have been faster if I just pealed the entire bolster over, you'll see what I mean on the install

Should come off easy after that, dont take the foam with it... it stays

Save the metal claps that help secure it and transfer them over to the new bolster in 'similar' positions

Next step i decided to address the weak spot in this seat design seen in the other side of the car

youll see below that there is a sharp metal piece that is causing a lot of the wear and damage on these old seats.

So what I decided to do was a few different things, this is a total do what you think is best section... I came up with a very thin solution so it added very little bulk

1) address the sharp edge with something more rubber like (I used gasket maker for both color and hard silicon to - take the edge off)

2) add a layer of extra protection in this spot for future wear (I used a thing rubber mat material like you'd see in a toolbox and superglue)... dont judge the kid bracelet lol

Sooo now putting the new one on... leave the new bolster over the heater or something warm as it helps to stretch and place the plastic back in the channel.

I taped up my carbon so i wouldnt scratch it because i saw nicks from when i removed the metal pieces

This section I needed more photos for you guys but I started putting the new bolster in by

- lining up the end of the plastic part to the rear of the bolster lip(channel), the one you stick the plastic in. Once you start pushing it back under the lip you'll need to verify that you have enough clearance (but not too much) to put the plastic cover piece back on. So I then seated the bolster 3-4 inches in just past the first metal clip and tested the fitment against the plastic cover make sure its snug. I realized later that this plastic piece can actually help to keep the bolster from working its way out of the channel in the future fitting phase.

with the fabric draped over and facing me I then took a blunt edge from my screw driver and helped push it back up into the channel

Once you have pushed it all the way back down the channel you'll notice you can now connect the rubber end back into that clip. After this I temporarily re-attached the plastic piece with the three screws to help hold the plastic in the channel while i stretch it over.

Now comes the hardish part, everything went in great... well now you have to flip the fabric back over the bolster starting from the front of the seat. It will not be easy the plastic seated in the channel makes it difficult to do this, I had to very carefully unroll it (kinda like unrolling a rug) while I kept it tight. The first time i tried this is when I figured out that the three screw plastic piece can be helpful to - hold it in place.

Its going to take a little magic here but it all works out, took me a few times. However once it was nicely wrapped over I pulled it tight and pushed the velcro down from the front to the back, remembering to wrap the entire back of the bolster around the foam piece and attach it to the velcro on the back of the seat

Once i had the leather looking good enough for me (I prob could have tried stretching more time to make it perfect), then I removed the plastic 3 hole piece and pulled the leather through and attached it the white velcro. This part was easy and I just re-attached the plastic bit after to the side

I prob left out a step or two but it turned out pretty good.

Cleaned up the old part of the seat bolster because you can tell the difference in age between the bolster and the back rest (looks darker). Final product looks awesome, you can see a few of the creases in the new leather from when I had it stored, but those will prob release with some summer heat or time.

Interesting side effect... the old bolster actually doesn't fit that bad as a bolster cover lol, maybe i'll modify it a bit

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-28-2023 at 12:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
f50nut (11-28-2023), RAudi Driver (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 03:59 AM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Good info to have in case I find a set of seats that need love. Didn’t realize the bolsters were serviceable at home. Also caught you’re local (shocking to see in this neck of the woods)

Last edited by SR20Fastback; 11-28-2023 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:39 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Thanks for sharing Dan. Great work.
The following users liked this post:
Wonderdan (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:11 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Good info to have in case I find a set of seats that need love. Didn’t realize the bolsters were serviceable at home. Also caught you’re local (shocking to see in this neck of the woods)
Yea it’s one of this things no one on here had ever done so I figured if I had to take it into a pro I would, but turns out it’s not bad. Maybe an hour and a half of work.

given that the replacement bolster is 600 and the bolster cover is just as much I think it’s a pretty good mod. Now replacing the seat back… that is another animal, also very expensive. Also since the seats are EOL I think the bolsters might follow eventually.

I didn’t realize you were in Boise also that’s super cool to see another .2 come to town, esp someone who frequents the forum.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-28-2023 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SR20Fastback (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:29 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for posting.

quick question- is the black steering wheel trim original or has it been replaced?

My car has this too and i was wondering if that was a 2011 thing or someone replaced or refinished it in black at some point. I know some non-GT 997.2s came with black trim from the factory but have only seen a few 997 gt3/rs with it.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:13 AM
MV911T
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Super write up! Love these types of threads. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-28-2023, 11:17 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawrence1

quick question- is the black steering wheel trim original or has it been replaced?

My car has this too and i was wondering if that was a 2011 thing or someone replaced or refinished it in black at some point. I know some non-GT 997.2s came with black trim from the factory but have only seen a few 997 gt3/rs with it.
Do you mean the black center of the steering wheel? That is an OEM option 841 / CLA to demonstrate both wheel in leather and xtra thick, sometimes you can find them for sale but they are extremely difficult to buy new (dealers cant do it, you have to order from Germany). I bet your build sheet has that.

I have a post somewhere with the part number when I redid my alcantara.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-28-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:39 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Excellent work Dan!
What is the part number of the GT2 seat driver's side lower bolster?
Thank you
Doug N
Old 11-28-2023, 02:01 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Excellent work Dan!
What is the part number of the GT2 seat driver's side lower bolster?
Thank you
Doug N
I can look to see if the old one has a part number when i get home, but the Suncoast SKU is SKU997GT2OB

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-29-2023 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:07 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

I have the silver one, but have contemplated the black one (just looks less dated in my mind). Dealer I bought my car from replaced the wheel just before I bought it, otherwise I think my 12321455th suncoast order of the last 3 weeks would be this:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/2011ALCAN.html
Old 11-28-2023, 02:19 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

I have the silver one, but have contemplated the black one (just looks less dated in my mind). Dealer I bought my car from replaced the wheel just before I bought it, otherwise I think my 12321455th suncoast order of the last 3 weeks would be this:

Cool that looks the same without the thick option or RS stripe, also I think there was one on eBay a few months ago I ran across you might check it out.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:23 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Cool that looks the same without the thick option or RS stripe, also I think there was one on eBay a few months ago I ran across you might check it out.

I'm not opposed to having one made either. The one I had in my 964 always bugged me that it was a yellow stripe rather than a red one (was happy when they released the classic steering wheel in leather with red stripe for this reason). Definitely not upset by a slightly thicker version too, but I'll check fleabay on your suggestion.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:40 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Yes- this is what i have. No thicker wheel option on my car and the steering wheel is alcantara.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:42 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Do you mean the black center of the steering wheel? That is an OEM option 841 / CLA to demonstrate both wheel in leather and xtra thick, sometimes you can find them for sale but they are extremely difficult to buy new (dealers cant do it, you have to order from Germany). I bet your build sheet has that.

I have a post somewhere with the part number when I redid my alcantara.
yup - the trim on the steering wheel. Most cars have the silver trim, mine has black like yours and the one pictured in the suncoast link above.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:09 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Yes- this is what i have. No thicker wheel option on my car and the steering wheel is alcantara.
interesting, nothing on your build sheet related to the wheel? Yours might have been an owner purchased item then?

Quick Reply: GT2 Carbon Folding Seats Bolster Replacement