Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 11:09 PM
rafter75
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Alignment specs

Evening! I just installed a set of BBS E07s and Michelin Cup 2s on my 997.2 GT3, specs below. 19x9 ET48 245/35/19 Cup 2 N0 Spec

19x12 ET61 325/30/19 Cup 2 N0 Spec

The fitment looks great and it rides great other than when I hit some random dips and the tires will rub the inside of the fenders. I was wonder if someone with a similar setup would share their alignment specs? Thanks
Old 08-16-2023, 01:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

rubbing front or rear?

your front offset is 5mm more aggressive but should be ok with a stock alignment. I'm running a et50 (997.1rs) with 245 section but I also have cup lower control arms that push out the bottom 5 or 10mm

the rears though, the stock size is a 305 and an ET 68. so you are 7mm closer to the fender with your wheels, and with the winder tires (305 to 325) 10 mm on each side wider at the tire edge. So your outside tire in the rear is 17mm closer to the fender.

you have 3 choices if that is the case: 1. more aggressive camber and alignment, but if too much you sacrifice handling. 2. narrower rear tire 3. different wheel offset.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:32 PM
rafter75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
rubbing front or rear?

your front offset is 5mm more aggressive but should be ok with a stock alignment. I'm running a et50 (997.1rs) with 245 section but I also have cup lower control arms that push out the bottom 5 or 10mm

the rears though, the stock size is a 305 and an ET 68. so you are 7mm closer to the fender with your wheels, and with the winder tires (305 to 325) 10 mm on each side wider at the tire edge. So your outside tire in the rear is 17mm closer to the fender.

you have 3 choices if that is the case: 1. more aggressive camber and alignment, but if too much you sacrifice handling. 2. narrower rear tire 3. different wheel offset.

It is rubbing slightly front and rear on some dips in the road. I'll have to get an alignment and see what happens. Thanks for your recommendations. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:44 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Can I add in that on a 997.1 NB car and even on the 997.1WB cars, Porsche uses a 5mm spacer in the rear which will bring the effective offset down to 63mm. You are now 2 mm closer to the fender with the E07 and then add in for that fat rear tire. Spyrex is correct in the solutions and if at all possibly try to go with #1 unless you can swap out the tires for a different size.

I think the fronts are an easy fix with some camber but I think you can only dial out to a -1.5. If you need more then it's shimming or top mount turning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just an armchair alignment tech.

The rears, well that's a 12mm push to the outside. I don't know what that will take but ittsa gonna be a titaa fet.

I went down this route several times thinking I want more meat under the car but at the end of the day, for me, I don't need it and all the trouble that comes along with it. I opted for stock tire sizes, a performance alignment and corner balance from a reputable tech and my car is responsive, well balanced and sticks like glue. I can toss that car any which way and it's amazingly sure footed. Also see in mind that the driving characteristics will also change with those larger tires.

Now toss up a picture as I'm sure it's pretty insane looking.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:45 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rafter75
It is rubbing slightly front and rear on some dips in the road. I'll have to get an alignment and see what happens. Thanks for your recommendations. Fingers crossed.
If It's touching on the dips on the streets, wait till you start pressing it in the turns.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:05 PM
rafter75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Can I add in that on a 997.1 NB car and even on the 997.1WB cars, Porsche uses a 5mm spacer in the rear which will bring the effective offset down to 63mm. You are now 2 mm closer to the fender with the E07 and then add in for that fat rear tire. Spyrex is correct in the solutions and if at all possibly try to go with #1 unless you can swap out the tires for a different size.

I think the fronts are an easy fix with some camber but I think you can only dial out to a -1.5. If you need more then it's shimming or top mount turning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just an armchair alignment tech.

The rears, well that's a 12mm push to the outside. I don't know what that will take but ittsa gonna be a titaa fet.

I went down this route several times thinking I want more meat under the car but at the end of the day, for me, I don't need it and all the trouble that comes along with it. I opted for stock tire sizes, a performance alignment and corner balance from a reputable tech and my car is responsive, well balanced and sticks like glue. I can toss that car any which way and it's amazingly sure footed. Also see in mind that the driving characteristics will also change with those larger tires.

Now toss up a picture as I'm sure it's pretty insane looking.

Love the meaty look, hopefully an alignment will fix the rubbing. If not back to the drawing board.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:15 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts

This is correct as to offset. Since OP has a .2 NB, the rears are ET63 from the factory instead of the ET68 mentioned above (+ a 5mm spacer).
Old 08-16-2023, 06:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

hard to tell in a picture but it looks ok, its just tuning, the visuals don't look "off"

I think you can get there with the fronts. It might mean removing lower a-arm spacers and rotating the top hats to pull it in a bit, or just a bit more camber.
Rear, depending where it's rubbing maybe a little hammering on the lip will get it -do you see any marks on the tires of where exactly it is rubbing? If you had the RSR compression / caster pucks and links you get some more options for clearancing too.

If you're in SoCal I can recommend a couple shops that can probably make this work.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:33 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vocan
This is correct as to offset. Since OP has a .2 NB, the rears are ET63 from the factory instead of the ET68 mentioned above (+ a 5mm spacer).

Oops, my bad. Crawling back into my hole.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:45 PM
rafter75
Rennlist Member

hard to tell in a picture but it looks ok, its just tuning, the visuals don't look "off"

I think you can get there with the fronts. It might mean removing lower a-arm spacers and rotating the top hats to pull it in a bit, or just a bit more camber.
Rear, depending where it's rubbing maybe a little hammering on the lip will get it -do you see any marks on the tires of where exactly it is rubbing? If you had the RSR compression / caster pucks and links you get some more options for clearancing too.

If you're in SoCal I can recommend a couple shops that can probably make this work.

The fronts and rears seem to be just rubbing on the top portions of the fender and quarter panel. I felt under there and seems like there is some room to do a little "massaging". I'm in the DFW metroplex and going to take it by a local shop that works on race/street cars.

What's the max negative camber you can go front and rear, without adversely effecting the driving characteristics for a car mainly driven on the street?

Hopefully between a little hammering and some camber I can get them to fit.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:50 AM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't see any reason why you couldn't make this fitment work with a proper alignment that's better suited to the more aggressive tire setup.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

325 just seems too large for the rear. Reduce it and then you got too much front tire. Too bad they didn't make a 315.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:33 PM
rafter75
Rennlist Member

325 just seems too large for the rear. Reduce it and then you got too much front tire. Too bad they didn't make a 315.
Ive asked around in some other groups, and apparently they can fit with an alignment. I have one scheduled at a local shop next week. Fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (08-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Alignment specs