Help a brother out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 11:32 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
Very good thank you for your advice!

It's just hard to know what price is the right price.
That is going to be different for everyone. I have friends that think 997 GT3’s should be worth $40-60k. Other guys I know think they’re priced fairly where they’re at around $140k. If you find a high quality car with records, you’re going to pay a premium for it. If you find a stories car, you’ll probably get it for less. I’d inspect first and then figure out price later on. If the price is within $10k of your ideal price, I’d likely start making moves on it and get it through an inspection process. Then, if you get some negotiation room out of the seller that’s great, otherwise, you can pay a bit more and know the car should be solid for many years to come. That’s a long way of saying there isn’t really a right price. It’s what you’re comfortable paying along with the quality of the car.
The following users liked this post:
othertbone (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:57 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
That is going to be different for everyone. I have friends that think 997 GT3’s should be worth $40-60k. Other guys I know think they’re priced fairly where they’re at around $140k. If you find a high quality car with records, you’re going to pay a premium for it. If you find a stories car, you’ll probably get it for less. I’d inspect first and then figure out price later on. If the price is within $10k of your ideal price, I’d likely start making moves on it and get it through an inspection process. Then, if you get some negotiation room out of the seller that’s great, otherwise, you can pay a bit more and know the car should be solid for many years to come. That’s a long way of saying there isn’t really a right price. It’s what you’re comfortable paying along with the quality of the car.

You've been great thank you so much
Old 07-26-2023, 03:35 PM
othertbone
Pro

Best thing you can do is search the VIN, reach out to members individually here that already have a car and aren’t going to try and steal the example (if it’s an off market car). Look at service records. When serious, get a PPI. But even a PPI is not going to reveal all possible issues. My advice is to buy the seller. You can reach out to people like Switchcars, Merit Partners, Columbia Valley Luxury cars and they’ll likely be able to find you off market cars that they know the owners or history of. Expensive purchase already and I’d rather spend $5k more to get a known car than save some money and get a car with unknown history. My philosophy is that I can’t afford not to spend the extra $5k for the better car. What I mean is if I had unlimited funds, if I get a bad car, no big deal. But I’m trying to do this once and do it right, I’ll spend the extra $5k knowing I’ll get a no issue car.
I'm going to look into those three brokers thank you @Bxstr . Do these guys arrange the PPI and shipment or should I still be sourcing that?

Thank you again
Old 07-26-2023, 04:56 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I'm going to look into those three brokers thank you @Bxstr . Do these guys arrange the PPI and shipment or should I still be sourcing that?

Thank you again
Brokers should be able to handle everything for you.
othertbone (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 05:14 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 204 Posts

If these cars were $40k, I would literally buy three of them, so I could keep them "in stock" and not be afraid to track it. I would be willing to bet quite a bit that those numbers never happen, unless there is some major financial or societal melt down, and things get real weird.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:46 AM
othertbone
Pro

Brokers should be able to handle everything for you.

Ok thanks. There are several manuals out there listed for around 150k, and those are the lowest I've seen. Doesn't match actual recent sales on classic.com interestingly.

Is that where the manual market is right now, 150k?
Old 07-27-2023, 04:34 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok thanks. There are several manuals out there listed for around 150k, and those are the lowest I've seen. Doesn't match actual recent sales on classic.com interestingly.

Keep in mind they're all manuals in this generation. $150k is probably about right for a really nice, lower mile .1 so it just depends on the example. The problem is there just weren't a ton of 997 GT3s/RS made so you're generally not going to find very many of them for sale at any given time.

Really just going to depend on miles, color, equipment and general condition. Also keep in mind that just because a seller is asking for a given price doesn't mean they'll get it.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Manual only. No autos for 997 GT3.

I'd recommend reaching out to the sources above and seeing if they know of off market cars available for less. I think some of the cars listed at $150k+ may be either 1) perfect examples or 2) people still living in the prior years. You may be able to get one for a bit less. At a minimum they may be able to help you get an idea of the market and what you should expect to spend as they're seeing these cars transact more often and they know the actual transaction price not the asking price. They also know what people are wanting for their examples when they want to sell.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:56 PM
othertbone
Pro

Originally Posted by Vocan
Keep in mind they're all manuals in this generation. $150k is probably about right for a really nice, lower mile .1 so it just depends on the example. The problem is there just weren't a ton of 997 GT3s/RS made so you're generally not going to find very many of them for sale at any given time.

Really just going to depend on miles, color, equipment and general condition. Also keep in mind that just because a seller is asking for a given price doesn't mean they'll get it.
Manual only. No autos for 997 GT3.

I'd recommend reaching out to the sources above and seeing if they know of off market cars available for less. I think some of the cars listed at $150k+ may be either 1) perfect examples or 2) people still living in the prior years. You may be able to get one for a bit less. At a minimum they may be able to help you get an idea of the market and what you should expect to spend as they're seeing these cars transact more often and they know the actual transaction price not the asking price. They also know what people are wanting for their examples when they want to sell.

Thank you both will do
Old 08-09-2023, 04:46 PM
othertbone
Pro

Well guys thank you all for your help and advice, it really meant a lot!

I am the new owner of a .1 GT3 now, and I am loving it! What an amazing car, so much fun to drive. Everything just worked out perfectly for me.

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in, and to the forum in general for so much great information!

The following 7 users liked this post by othertbone:
DD GT3 RD (08-10-2023), EvilllEmpirE (08-10-2023), FLT6SPD (08-10-2023), Joe Cho (08-10-2023), Ob917 (08-10-2023), Robocop305 (08-09-2023), Wilder (08-10-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2023, 05:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 205 Posts

Welcome to the club. We are a cool group. If I do say so myself.

My wife calls it "dork".
othertbone (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 05:48 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Well guys thank you all for your help and advice, it really meant a lot!

I am the new owner of a .1 GT3 now, and I am loving it! What an amazing car, so much fun to drive. Everything just worked out perfectly for me.

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in, and to the forum in general for so much great information!

Damn, No moss under your feet!!
othertbone (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 06:32 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Oh congrats!

Beautiful!

Last edited by mchrono; 08-09-2023 at 06:34 PM.
othertbone (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 08:55 PM
EMpunker
Pro

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Can't go wrong with a 997 GT3! Congrats.
The following 2 users liked this post by EMpunker:
othertbone (08-09-2023), Robocop305 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 09:02 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Awesome, congrats on getting a beast of a car in the fast color.
othertbone (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Help a brother out?