Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Daily driving a 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 10:27 PM
P_S
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Daily driving a 996 GT3?

I live in Connecticut, and there's a car tax of about 3% in my town that "goes away" when a car is 20 years old and is declared an antique. It's a bit of a loophole.

Now, I know you can all do math but that means that a 2005 car worth 100K will cost me 3K per year even if I never drive it. But next year, a 2004 996 GT3 will be 20 years old and therefore it will cost approximately nothing in taxes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a GT3 cost me $3k/year in maintenance and repairs. I guess that wouldn't surprise me at all. But my question is "is it worth it to study these cars for a year with an eye on picking one up to drive every day to the office?"
Old 07-23-2023, 10:40 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

It’s such a subjective thing.
Some would hate it. I daily drove mine when I had it and loved it.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:01 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

No underbody protection on a GT3 so not a good idea to drive it when there's salt on the roads. I suggest a Turbo instead.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:39 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

you might get more info on the 996gt3 section of rennlist
Old 07-24-2023, 10:12 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

I’d be more inclined to pick up an E39 M5. I don’t have 996 GT3 experience, but I do have E39 M5 and 997 GT3 experience and I’d much rather own the M5 as a daily driver. Also as mentioned, 996 and 997 GT products have less underbody coating and do tend to corrode quicker.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:25 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

I think it kind of depends on the roads and traffic where you live. If reasonably good roads, and not too much traffic, then I say absolutely. Car is certainly sufficiently reliable and comfortable with the caveat that they suck in heavy traffic (heavy clutch, no fun crawling at parking lot speeds), and aren't great if you are trying to dodge potholes or are constantly trying to avoid ripping off the front spoiler lip). AC works perfect too. If I lived in a place with good weather, reasonably good roads, and not too much traffic, I'd just ditch the buckets for daily use and wouldn't hesitate to daily my 996 gt3.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 555 Posts

What do you want to know?

I’ve put 145,000 miles on my 6GT3-so far.

We drive it everywhere. Been around town, been up your way for a 10-day vacation, used it for our wedding, autocrosses, rallies, work, whatever. Used it to drive my German Shepherd Dog when she was alive.

That said, I would not drive it in the snow or even salty roads, but I have no issues as a daily driver-here. Oh, traffic sucks, but that’s the problem with a manual and other drivers do nothing to make that any easier.

If your definition of a real sports car is minimal amenities and a rooted connection with the road, it’s the quintessential version of the beast with AC and power windows thrown in for good measure. Oh, forget the sound system or even using a cell phone. Both useless like you know what on a bull.
The following 5 users liked this post by Marv:
flat6fan18 (07-28-2023), frederik (07-28-2023), LCCHOU (08-08-2023), SupraSaiyan (08-08-2023), Wilder (08-11-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:38 PM
SiNzz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Piggybacking off of this thread - I'm considering moving into a 996.2 GT3. I currently own a heavily modified 1987 930 and one reason I'm considering making the move is the very high cost of maintenance on the 930. Can someone speak to their rough annual maintenance cost for a 6.2GT3? How big are the bills assuming used mostly as a weekend backroad with occaisional DE events?
Old 08-08-2023, 02:49 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNzz
Piggybacking off of this thread - I'm considering moving into a 996.2 GT3. I currently own a heavily modified 1987 930 and one reason I'm considering making the move is the very high cost of maintenance on the 930. Can someone speak to their rough annual maintenance cost for a 6.2GT3? How big are the bills assuming used mostly as a weekend backroad with occaisional DE events?
Just normal fluid stuff for me. When I get a car I spend alot of time and money going through it initially and overdoing stuff that probably does not need to be done (new battery, coil packs, plugs, o2's, maf sensors, all fluids, etc....). But then my mezger cars have been very, very very trouble free. Especially true with the "simple" 996 gt3 mezger motor (no turbo boost leaks, no variocam plus, etc...). Just a very, very reliable platform if you stay up on the normal maintenance stuff!
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
DD GT3 RD (08-08-2023), Robocop305 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I'd consider an NSX. That car is so refreshing to drive and just a flat-out joy. Back in 1997 I almost bought one and had I simply kept it and avoided some of the silliness and excess I got into, I would have another $1m in the bank...really a bit more than that.

And if not that maybe a BMW E46 M3. I have such fond memories of that car.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:35 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Just normal fluid stuff for me. When I get a car I spend alot of time and money going through it initially and overdoing stuff that probably does not need to be done (new battery, coil packs, plugs, o2's, maf sensors, all fluids, etc....). But then my mezger cars have been very, very very trouble free. Especially true with the "simple" 996 gt3 mezger motor (no turbo boost leaks, no variocam plus, etc...). Just a very, very reliable platform if you stay up on the normal maintenance stuff!
Same. I do about 5-6k miles a year driving it several times a week and back roads every weekend, and maintenance has mainly been just fluids. I did replace the fuel pump recently because the check valve failed and it still had the rubber hose so I upgraded to the newer part. I’m about to hit 85k miles and my car has had a long life as a DE car with people who kept up on maintenance and addressed weak spots.

I’ve spent more money addressing worn interior parts or upgrading suspension and exhaust, but none of those were required.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 12:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I think it kind of depends on the roads and traffic where you live. If reasonably good roads, and not too much traffic, then I say absolutely. Car is certainly sufficiently reliable and comfortable with the caveat that they suck in heavy traffic (heavy clutch, no fun crawling at parking lot speeds), and aren't great if you are trying to dodge potholes or are constantly trying to avoid ripping off the front spoiler lip). AC works perfect too. If I lived in a place with good weather, reasonably good roads, and not too much traffic, I'd just ditch the buckets for daily use and wouldn't hesitate to daily my 996 gt3.
I want to highlight this. Manual in a daily can get old quick. Add the lower and stiffer suspension and you really need to consider your situation and environment. My car resides in a city with terrible roads full of speed bumps, potholes, and ondulations, terrible bumper to bumper traffic, and aggressive drivers that tailgate, come within inches at roundabouts, and constantly want to race you. I love this car at the track but I absolutely hate driving to and from the track. It does what no other car has ever done to me: it stresses me out. My situation is extreme and on the flip side there are people like @Marv. so it can work but first consider where you live because it will make or break your experience.
The following users liked this post:
philrob1 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 01:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
I want to highlight this. Manual in a daily can get old quick. Add the lower and stiffer suspension and you really need to consider your situation and environment. My car resides in a city with terrible roads full of speed bumps, potholes, and ondulations, terrible bumper to bumper traffic, and aggressive drivers that tailgate, come within inches at roundabouts, and constantly want to race you. I love this car at the track but I absolutely hate driving to and from the track. It does what no other car has ever done to me: it stresses me out. My situation is extreme and on the flip side there are people like @Marv. so it can work but first consider where you live because it will make or break your experience.
My sentiments exactly. Hate driving it in the city and just won't do it any longer.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:32 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My sentiments exactly. Hate driving it in the city and just won't do it any longer.
haha I daily drive mine and love it.
every once in a while a **** patch of road will get me but besides that I love it on street and track.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
haha I daily drive mine and love it.
every once in a while a **** patch of road will get me but besides that I love it on street and track.
It's your age. I've got a handful of years on ya 👨🏽‍🦳. Plus I've been daily driving a Cayenne Turbo for the last 7 years and just hopped into an Etron so it makes it that much harder to drive the GT3.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 08-11-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Daily driving a 996 GT3?