Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Quick tire depth question w/Guards

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 02:49 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts
Default Quick tire depth question w/Guards

I'm currently sitting on 4.5mm of depth on the 305's at the rear of the car. One tire suffered a nail and I rolled on a flat tire for about a block, even goosing the gas once and that's what got me to realize that I was flat on that tire. Had the nail hole fixed but there is a little abrasion on the inside of the tire, not to mention the outside. Keep in mind that the budget is a factor at this time.

Question is, would like to replace that tire.

1. Live with the tire and drive sanely for the next year or so.

1. Replace the tire and live with the different tread depth? How hard on the diff will this difference be?

2. Replace the tire and have it shaved to more closely match the other tire. Current is 4.5mm, new is 5.7 = 1.2mm difference. Tire Rack only shaves in 1mm increments so I'll get a tire that's 5.mm.

3. Just get a new set of tires. Don't really want to do this because the current tires will probably go to crap if I store them.

Thanks

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 05-10-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:30 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd get a new set of tires. Replace in front/rear pairs at a time, at minimum.

I tried replacing one rear Cup 2, and the car went sideways on hard acceleration.

The problem went away with a new set of tires, with no changes to height or alignment.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I'm currently sitting on 4.5mm of depth on the 305's at the rear of the car. One tire suffered a nail and I rolled on a flat tire for about a block, even goosing the gas once and that's what got me to realize that I was flat on that tire. Had the nail hole fixed but there is a little abrasion on the inside of the tire, not to mention the outside. Keep in mind that the budget is a factor at this time.

Question is, would like to replace that tire.

1. Live with the tire and drive sanely for the next year or so.

1. Replace the tire and live with the different tread depth? How hard on the diff will this difference be?

2. Replace the tire and have it shaved to more closely match the other tire. Current is 4.5mm, new is 5.7 = 1.2mm difference. Tire Rack only shaves in 1mm increments so I'll get a tire that's 5.mm.

3. Just get a new set of tires. Don't really want to do this because the current tires will probably go to crap if I store them.

Thanks
Prob depends on what your doing… that tire is rated to like 250mph, so I assume anything your doing outside of the track is fine. If you were to hit the track… I like to have every excuse to not die so I’d fix it.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by f50nut
I'd get a new set of tires. Replace in front/rear pairs at a time, at minimum.

I tried replacing one rear Cup 2, and the car went sideways on hard acceleration.

The problem went away with a new set of tires, with no changes to height or alignment.
Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Prob depends on what your doing… that tire is rated to like 250mph, so I assume anything your doing outside of the track is fine. If you were to hit the track… I like to have every excuse to not die so I’d fix it.
I run thru the canyons early mornings. It's can be dangerous too and last thing I want is a blowout. More importantly, I was wondering if I could get away with on tire but as F50nut explained, that sideways twitch is something I don't want at all. The car is so perfect now I don't want to change anything. Looks like I'll spring for 2 tires and hold the good one on the car for a spare, unless someone needs a tire with 4.5mm.

Thanks for chiming in.
The following users liked this post:
996TS (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:14 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Absolutely replace both rear tires. Once you see the sidewall damage like that following being driven-on with little to zero pressure - it's gotta be replaced. That line is from excessive heat and deformation from the sidewall being overloaded. Sidewall has been structurally compromised.