Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 or 718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 12:02 AM
Dirtygrid
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 or 718 GT4?

If these two cars were similarly priced, which one would you pick for a raw weekend canyon carver and why?

Been looking at 718 GT4s for that very purpose but noticed that some 997.1 GT3s are selling for the same money ($130k-$145k) which got me thinking… which would you pick?

Any maintenance/reliability differences between the two?
Old 04-26-2023, 01:07 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 173 Posts

Comparing two sports cars made 10 years apart is tough. Both are great. One is nearly new, more refined with more features and easier on the street. The other is an expensive car with literally not a single bell or whistle but an incredible driving experience. Pick your poison. IMO 997 GT3 will likely hold its value far better but I doubt the GT4 will tank either.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:29 AM
Joe Cho
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 250 Posts

C'mon man, you came to the wrong place if you're looking for unbiased opinions
​​​​
I did briefly contemplate a 718 gt4 for the newness factor and it's a great car as well but I've always wanted a 911 and all the psychos love the gt3. You got good options OP.
The following users liked this post:
BluePhantom (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 02:53 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 379 Posts

I would never take a gt4 over a 997 gt3. The character of the 4 is very different and doesn't have the same "charm" imho. Also, I've said it before, you just can't beat that mezger reliability!
The following 4 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
996TS (04-26-2023), Robocop305 (04-26-2023), Steve Theodore (04-27-2023), SupraSaiyan (04-27-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 03:10 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

OP, are you coming from a mid-engine background, or rear-engine bias?

... I ask, because I drove quite a few 982 GT4's back in the 2017 timreframe (for long duration spirit drives),.. and for me coming from a 911 background since I was a kid,.. it was a no brainer. sure there was the newness + human-engineering features in the 4, & it was fast (but not quick),... and yet I was really after a NA car that would stir my soul & kick sidewayz if I wanted it to (I was coming from 17 yrs in a 964 Turbo widowmaker),.... so I asked myself,... if both sets of keys were hanging next to each other on the rack next to the garage door {yea, no one does THAT anymore eh?!, Lol},... there is no question which keys I would grab, and which car would get driven more often.

we need more of where you're coming from, and what you want out of the car,... to really help
Old 04-26-2023, 03:36 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

Both are fabulous cars but the only one i ever went back to again was the 997 GT's. It's more crude, more engaging; sounds better; more challenging to drive fast. Those are things for me that last longer than the initial love affair. Try to drive both and it should be apparent for you which speaks to you. Your mileage may DEFINITELY vary.
Robocop305 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:04 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 98 Posts

I have owned a 981 GT4, a 997.1 GT3 and currently have a 982 GT4 w/PDK.
I would agree with the above comments, 997.1 GT3 engine is spectacular.

The biggest difference between 997.1 and 982 GT4 is suspension compliance.
You can't mask the age difference if you drive on less than smooth roads.

For a weekend canyon car, the GT3 will be more fun.

If you get the GT3 be aware of the usual items that may need attention, they are not new cars anymore -
coolant pipes, clutch, engine mounts, water pump, crankshaft seals, etc.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:37 PM
Dirtygrid
Advanced

Originally Posted by bweSteve
OP, are you coming from a mid-engine background, or rear-engine bias?

... I ask, because I drove quite a few 982 GT4's back in the 2017 timreframe (for long duration spirit drives),.. and for me coming from a 911 background since I was a kid,.. it was a no brainer. sure there was the newness + human-engineering features in the 4, & it was fast (but not quick),... and yet I was really after a NA car that would stir my soul & kick sidewayz if I wanted it to (I was coming from 17 yrs in a 964 Turbo widowmaker),.... so I asked myself,... if both sets of keys were hanging next to each other on the rack next to the garage door {yea, no one does THAT anymore eh?!, Lol},... there is no question which keys I would grab, and which car would get driven more often.

we need more of where you're coming from, and what you want out of the car,... to really help
coming from a front-engined bronco lol… but yeah I have much more experience with rear engined cars having driven a bunch of 911s. Have only driven a C8 corvette briefly and a boxster at an auto x event so don’t have too much seat time in a mid engined car, but from what I hear the balance of the 718 is it’s main selling point
Old 04-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Dirtygrid
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jon H
I have owned a 981 GT4, a 997.1 GT3 and currently have a 982 GT4 w/PDK.
I would agree with the above comments, 997.1 GT3 engine is spectacular.

The biggest difference between 997.1 and 982 GT4 is suspension compliance.
You can't mask the age difference if you drive on less than smooth roads.

For a weekend canyon car, the GT3 will be more fun.

If you get the GT3 be aware of the usual items that may need attention, they are not new cars anymore -
coolant pipes, clutch, engine mounts, water pump, crankshaft seals, etc.
that’s the main thing holding me back, unexpected problems / maintenance items. The 997 GT3 would be at the higher end of my budget so would probably make more sense to go for a cheaper and more “reliable” (less maintenance to do) 718 GT4
Old 04-26-2023, 05:05 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

You said “raw”, so 997 GT3…but yes, upkeep may be a lot higher if things go wrong.

Last edited by cds4402; 04-26-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

You're asking a great question. Both are fantastic cars. I own a 997.1 GT3, but rode in a friends 997.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 prior to being able to drive my current 997.1 GT3 for an afternoon and realizing that was the car I wanted. I mention riding in these cars as my favorite cars to ride in have also later been my favorite cars to drive (even ranking them in the same order) when I got the opportunity to drive them.

1) I wouldn't consider the 7.1 GT3 maintenance heavy, but that depends how you use it and how "perfect" you want it to be. In my case I put 2k miles/yr on my car (I live where it snows so it gets stored during winter). They're all street miles. Thus, things are going to wear out slower than someone doing street and track use. While it isn't maintenance heavy, it is a 15+ year old car at this point. It's going to need stuff. The downside with the GT4 is there is slightly more tech built into the car, so I could see it being as maintenance heavy way down the road, but it's going to take a very long time. One of the things that did attract me to the 7.1 GT3 is that so many of the problems have been figured out since the car has been out for so long. There's solutions in place by companies to address the issues. I'd say to set aside $5k minimum, $10k max, for most cars to get them up to date on maintenance as well as pin the coolant lines. So the maintenance/reliability standpoint goes to the GT4 since it is newer.

2) I really appreciate the exhaust note on the GT3. GT4 is great, but just budget more (maybe $3-5k, haven't checked recently) for an exhaust. GT3 is good with a $1000 (used) center muffler bypass.

3) I personally appreciate the auto rev match feature in the modern cars. I haven't used it in a 718 GT4, but I did get to use it in a 991.2 GT3 and thought it was amazing. I rev-match downshift, but I cannot heel-toe, so the ability to go into a corner on the brakes and downshift at the same time is amazing.

4) Going back to my 15+ year old car comment, keep in mind that if you're as particular with condition as I am, finding a clean 997 GT3 is going to be hard. If you show me almost any 997 GT3, even one with 10k miles, I can show you wear that will bother me. For instance, rockers, slight corrosion on certain underbody pieces since the 997 GT cars contain less corrosion protection than other 997's etc. Most of these cars didn't get as much clear bra as they do now. For instance, back in 2007, people may have been doing a full front clear bra, or half hood, but not doing rockers and other misc. pieces that are common on the 718 GT4.

5) infotainment, if that is important to you, can now be brought up to 718 GT4 spec with the PCCM+ (Porsche nav upgrade). $1500 and you have CarPlay in a unit that looks like it came from the factory in 2007. This is great support from Porsche classic.

6) the clutch and shifter on a 997 GT3 is incredibly mechanical feeling. The 718 GT4 is a smoother feeling shifter.

I went back and forth over the past 6 months, even inquiring at my dealer to see what 718 Spyder/GT4 allocations looked like. But it was for one reason and that was to get a brand new car with 0 miles that I could spec and fully clear film to keep as close to perfect as possible. But, ultimately I didn't go that direction. The 997 GT3 driving experience (and community) continues to bring me back in, even four years later. However, I still would consider a newer GT product, again, simply for that new car experience. But I do fear that I would really miss the 997 GT3 driving experience even though the 718 GT4 has its own strengths. I think I would continually be comparing the GT4 to the GT3. Since I drive mine only 2k miles/yr, I really enjoy how analog and connected it feels, how loud it is, how the steering feels, how heavy the clutch is and the notchiness of the shifter when I do take it out. Prior to my 997 GT3 I had a PDK 997.2 C2S and for my purposes, it was way too easy to drive. I felt that I should be using it for every task in my life. The problem is I don't want my sports car to be that usable. I want to use it on occasion and for every time to be an experience.

For your decision, I think either would make a great car. I'd also strongly consider a 981 GT4. You can get a mint one for $110k or so. Even less for a good one with some miles. That would leave you with plenty of room for maintenance and maybe even some Dundon upgrades or a re-gear (shorter gearing).

I'll also add that I have a couple friends with 981/718 GT/Spyder's. One friend that is on Rennlist, has a 718 GT4 and couldn't be happier with it. He drives it a lot, has put some amazing mods (wheels) on it and I think it's an excellent car. His car was one of the cars that inspired me to pursue considering a 718 GT4/Spyder. I have another friend locally who has a 718 GT4 and drove a 991.2 GT3 and is/was considering trying to get into one of those next. I also have a friend with a 981 Spyder that wants to go in a completely different direction and get a 997 GT3. So it really comes down to what you want. The best thing you can do is at least talk with some people in the local PCA and see if you can get a ride. As mentioned, riding in a car gives you a good perspective of how each will feel, especially from a comparison point of view. If you have specific questions, put them here or always feel free to reach out.
brake dust (04-27-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 05:44 PM
Dirtygrid
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bxstr
You're asking a great question. Both are fantastic cars. I own a 997.1 GT3, but rode in a friends 997.1 GT3 and 981 GT4 prior to being able to drive my current 997.1 GT3 for an afternoon and realizing that was the car I wanted. I mention riding in these cars as my favorite cars to ride in have also later been my favorite cars to drive (even ranking them in the same order) when I got the opportunity to drive them.

1) I wouldn't consider the 7.1 GT3 maintenance heavy, but that depends how you use it and how "perfect" you want it to be. In my case I put 2k miles/yr on my car (I live where it snows so it gets stored during winter). They're all street miles. Thus, things are going to wear out slower than someone doing street and track use. While it isn't maintenance heavy, it is a 15+ year old car at this point. It's going to need stuff. The downside with the GT4 is there is slightly more tech built into the car, so I could see it being as maintenance heavy way down the road, but it's going to take a very long time. One of the things that did attract me to the 7.1 GT3 is that so many of the problems have been figured out since the car has been out for so long. There's solutions in place by companies to address the issues. I'd say to set aside $5k minimum, $10k max, for most cars to get them up to date on maintenance as well as pin the coolant lines. So the maintenance/reliability standpoint goes to the GT4 since it is newer.

2) I really appreciate the exhaust note on the GT3. GT4 is great, but just budget more (maybe $3-5k, haven't checked recently) for an exhaust. GT3 is good with a $1000 (used) center muffler bypass.

3) I personally appreciate the auto rev match feature in the modern cars. I haven't used it in a 718 GT4, but I did get to use it in a 991.2 GT3 and thought it was amazing. I rev-match downshift, but I cannot heel-toe, so the ability to go into a corner on the brakes and downshift at the same time is amazing.

4) Going back to my 15+ year old car comment, keep in mind that if you're as particular with condition as I am, finding a clean 997 GT3 is going to be hard. If you show me almost any 997 GT3, even one with 10k miles, I can show you wear that will bother me. For instance, rockers, slight corrosion on certain underbody pieces since the 997 GT cars contain less corrosion protection than other 997's etc. Most of these cars didn't get as much clear bra as they do now. For instance, back in 2007, people may have been doing a full front clear bra, or half hood, but not doing rockers and other misc. pieces that are common on the 718 GT4.

5) infotainment, if that is important to you, can now be brought up to 718 GT4 spec with the PCCM+ (Porsche nav upgrade). $1500 and you have CarPlay in a unit that looks like it came from the factory in 2007. This is great support from Porsche classic.

6) the clutch and shifter on a 997 GT3 is incredibly mechanical feeling. The 718 GT4 is a smoother feeling shifter.

I went back and forth over the past 6 months, even inquiring at my dealer to see what 718 Spyder/GT4 allocations looked like. But it was for one reason and that was to get a brand new car with 0 miles that I could spec and fully clear film to keep as close to perfect as possible. But, ultimately I didn't go that direction. The 997 GT3 driving experience (and community) continues to bring me back in, even four years later. However, I still would consider a newer GT product, again, simply for that new car experience. But I do fear that I would really miss the 997 GT3 driving experience even though the 718 GT4 has its own strengths. I think I would continually be comparing the GT4 to the GT3. Since I drive mine only 2k miles/yr, I really enjoy how analog and connected it feels, how loud it is, how the steering feels, how heavy the clutch is and the notchiness of the shifter when I do take it out. Prior to my 997 GT3 I had a PDK 997.2 C2S and for my purposes, it was way too easy to drive. I felt that I should be using it for every task in my life. The problem is I don't want my sports car to be that usable. I want to use it on occasion and for every time to be an experience.

For your decision, I think either would make a great car. I'd also strongly consider a 981 GT4. You can get a mint one for $110k or so. Even less for a good one with some miles. That would leave you with plenty of room for maintenance and maybe even some Dundon upgrades or a re-gear (shorter gearing).

I'll also add that I have a couple friends with 981/718 GT/Spyder's. One friend that is on Rennlist, has a 718 GT4 and couldn't be happier with it. He drives it a lot, has put some amazing mods (wheels) on it and I think it's an excellent car. His car was one of the cars that inspired me to pursue considering a 718 GT4/Spyder. I have another friend locally who has a 718 GT4 and drove a 991.2 GT3 and is/was considering trying to get into one of those next. I also have a friend with a 981 Spyder that wants to go in a completely different direction and get a 997 GT3. So it really comes down to what you want. The best thing you can do is at least talk with some people in the local PCA and see if you can get a ride. As mentioned, riding in a car gives you a good perspective of how each will feel, especially from a comparison point of view. If you have specific questions, put them here or always feel free to reach out.
thank you for the detailed breakdown. It does seem like the 997 would be a more mechanical and engaging car, whereas the 718 would have more updated features and maybe be a little more tame. There are a couple 997.1s on autotrader that fit my budget but the main one I’m looking at is the white one currently on BaT which does seem well maintained (to my untrained eye) and has the coolant lines pinned. It does however seem like the 718 would be a better car for me as I don’t really want to have to deal with upfront maintenance issues etc (not to mention it would be cheaper in general). You don’t happen to be in socal do you?
Old 04-26-2023, 06:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtygrid
thank you for the detailed breakdown. It does seem like the 997 would be a more mechanical and engaging car, whereas the 718 would have more updated features and maybe be a little more tame. There are a couple 997.1s on autotrader that fit my budget but the main one I’m looking at is the white one currently on BaT which does seem well maintained (to my untrained eye) and has the coolant lines pinned. It does however seem like the 718 would be a better car for me as I don’t really want to have to deal with upfront maintenance issues etc (not to mention it would be cheaper in general). You don’t happen to be in socal do you?
I am not in SoCal. But there seem to be quite a few 997 GT3 owners in that area, so finding someone to give you a ride should not be too challenging.
Dirtygrid (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:38 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

997.1 GT3 for me. The car has been rock solid and low maintenance.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:32 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 109 Posts

The suspension compliance and shifter have come a long way since 997 days, that's for sure. I can't wait to swap out the stock shocks on my 7.2RS, they feel like garbage compared to the new cars. Both are great cars.
Mezger def sounds and feels more special, as it makes power in a more exhilarating way. If you want a manual 718, I'd try to stay away from heavily tracked cars, the transmissions in the GT4 are much more budget oriented compared to the 997 and 991.2 GT3's.....pinion gear wear is common in track-rat cars, and you can't buy individual parts for the trans. Just something to be aware of. Need to run 75W140 in all 981 and 718 6-speed GT4's.....

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 or 718 GT4?