Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Vocan's New .1 Toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 07:23 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Tint removal is definitely on the list, will mull over the remaining graphics.

Still need to decide if I want to keep the black mirrors and wing top. Not sure what to do with the wheels but I think I’d like to go back to oem silver. Not sure if I should try to trade wheels with someone or if they can easily be stripped and repainted.
Repaint your wheels. Trading may be challenging and you're dealing with paying for shipping. Buying new is cost prohibitive at $8k for a set through the discount parts dealers online.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:28 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Repaint your wheels. Trading may be challenging and you're dealing with paying for shipping. Buying new is cost prohibitive at $8k for a set through the discount parts dealers online.
Thanks for the suggestion and good point on the shipping. Wasn’t sure if going from black to silver would be problematic but I guess they can either use multiple coats or perhaps sandblast first.

Looks like the factory paint coat for the wheels is 9A1. Is there a clearcoat on these from the factory and if so is it glossy or satin? It appears to be glossy but it's a little hard to tell for sure from pictures of factory wheels.

Last edited by Vocan; 04-16-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:22 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. Best car to drive! Looking very good and refreshed. I will take the Recaro bolsters protector if you still have it. Thanks.

Last edited by Robocop305; 04-16-2023 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vocan (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:21 PM
EMpunker
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats, I love what you've done with it so far.
Vocan (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Also make sure you find a shop that is going to paint the wheels and not powdercoat them.
The following 3 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
f50nut (04-21-2023), jonwb (04-19-2023), Vocan (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:56 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion and good point on the shipping. Wasn’t sure if going from black to silver would be problematic but I guess they can either use multiple coats or perhaps sandblast first.

Looks like the factory paint coat for the wheels is 9A1. Is there a clearcoat on these from the factory and if so is it glossy or satin? It appears to be glossy but it's a little hard to tell for sure from pictures of factory wheels.
Correct, color code is 9A1. Gloss clear coat.
Vocan (04-19-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 06:36 AM
pputkowski
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Also make sure you find a shop that is going to paint the wheels and not powdercoat them.
Curious why? Just for the correct color? Powdercoat is superior in pretty much every other way.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:03 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pputkowski
Curious why? Just for the correct color? Powdercoat is superior in pretty much every other way.
Our wheels are cast, not forged, but from my understanding on a forged wheel, high temp powdercoating can affect the structure of the wheel. Low temp, no issue. Some also prefer the look of paint compared to powder. I’ve had both. The powdercoated wheel does hold up better to road debris. But I think paint looks slightly better and gives you that original looking finish. No wrong answer just depends what you’re after. HRE and Forgeline use Powdercoat on many of their wheels. BBS uses paint. Porsche OEM wheels are painted.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:23 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Exactly Bxstr, I'll add a little to that in that HRE doesn't do a normal powder coating process. They use a low heat, low time duration process that doesn't alter the metallurgy of the wheel. HRE will not warranty any of their wheels if they've been refinished by anyone but them, I called them to get my P40's refinished in another color.

Other issues you have to think of when powder coating is that the coating can hide developing cracks in the wheels. Harder to remove when you want to refinish. Difficult to lay down thin coats of the stuff, compared to paint as it' usually one coat and it ain't thin. So many of these coaters cover mating surfaces, bolt holes, hub mating surfaces, etc....

Find the best wheel painter you can and get the very best job. You deserve it!
Old 05-13-2023, 03:59 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

A few changes since my last post. Tint and remaining stickers now removed and I had the wing top and side mirrors put back to the factory silver color. My next step is to get the old ppf removed and fresh stuff applied. With the tint removed the red belts are starting to bother me and I’ll likely take some of the suggestions here and switch them to yellow.

Looks like a completely different car from when I first got it. Not normally a black wheel guy but I like how they look with silver for some reason.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
The following 5 users liked this post by Vocan:
911Vintage (08-21-2023), moe01325 (05-29-2023), Robocop305 (05-14-2023), seis-speed (05-13-2023), Wilder (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

On behalf of myself and many a GT3 owner from around the world, thank you for rescuing this GT3 and tastefully putting it back together. Your car would look great with yellow belts. If you want to do something different with the wheels, to my eye silver cars look great with satin dark silver.

The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
cavlino (01-11-2024), luv2race (01-09-2024), Vocan (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 10:57 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
On behalf of myself and many a GT3 owner from around the world, thank you for rescuing this GT3 and tastefully putting it back together. Your car would look great with yellow belts. If you want to do something different with the wheels, to my eye silver cars look great with satin dark silver.

Thank you! It's genuinely been a fun project so far and I'm thrilled with how it's shaping up. If you had told me a few months ago that I'd be repeatedly tearing apart a car this expensive I'd have said you were nuts. I'm far from Mr. DIY and most of what I've done so far was my first time attempting it so it's been a great learning experience to boot. My experience so far has been that these cars are not only stout but very DIY friendly, especially compared to newer generations of Porsches. As always, the key is just buying a car with good bones. They've reached the age where most of them are no longer perfect but a little bit of work goes a long way cosmetically.

Great suggestion on the satin platinum or similar shade on the wheels. I had that shade on my 991 and always thought it looked great. If I do repaint the wheels that's where I'm currently leaning. Stumbled upon this picture of the stock wheels in what appears to be satin platinum and think it would look fantastic:

Robocop305 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 11:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Thank you! It's genuinely been a fun project so far and I'm thrilled with how it's shaping up. If you had told me a few months ago that I'd be repeatedly tearing apart a car this expensive I'd have said you were nuts. I'm far from Mr. DIY and most of what I've done so far was my first time attempting it so it's been a great learning experience to boot. My experience so far has been that these cars are not only stout but very DIY friendly, especially compared to newer generations of Porsches. As always, the key is just buying a car with good bones. They've reached the age where most of them are no longer perfect but a little bit of work goes a long way cosmetically.

Great suggestion on the satin platinum or similar shade on the wheels. I had that shade on my 991 and always thought it looked great. If I do repaint the wheels that's where I'm currently leaning. Stumbled upon this picture of the stock wheels in what appears to be satin platinum and think it would look fantastic:
That's great that you're doing all this work for the first time. It's so much fun. I bought my car six months ago but unfortunately it doesn't live with me so I have to rely on shops to do the work. The wheels on that picture you found look fantastic and I think they'll look just as great on silver. You've successfully managed to turn a car that was trying too hard into a very classy build. Both interior and exterior are transformed now. Kudos!
Vocan (05-13-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 04:18 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 205 Posts

Looks much better without the graphics and de-tint! Love the inserts as well. Great contrast.

Really a testament to the “less is more” philosophy (which I certainly align with).

I do agree that the yellow belts would work well with the calipers.

Also- if you do decide to change the wheel color to silver, paint them. The current black finish won’t affect that because they will be stripped prior to refinishing anyways.
No matter what anyone says about powder coating vs paint you will never get a finish a good as with paint. Especially with silver.

The following 2 users liked this post by ljmartyre:
Vocan (05-14-2023), Wilder (05-14-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:38 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

DSC Controller finally arrived and getting installed this weekend. Will report back with my thoughts after some seat time.

My random musings on wheel color...for the time being I think I'm going to stay with black. I've been mulling over my end game look for the car and I think I've decided to eventually add a .1 RS wing, which should tie in fairly well with the black wheels.

With that being said, if anyone knows of a .2 GT3 or .1 RS OEM decklid for sale I'm definitely in the market. I've been scouring the usual places and so far I've turned up empty handed.

Quick Reply: Vocan's New .1 Toy