Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 RS as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:37 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mezgermischief
997 GT3 on the road is honestly really boring!!??!! I must have low standards then ha... I though it was the greatest road car experience out there.
It is boring on the road and totaled if it ever saw a track day. In conclusion...
Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 PM
mezgermischief
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bobodrink
I see where he is coming from. Compared to other supercars like Ferrari and Lambo at the time, the GT3RS is still a usable 911 cruising around town. For some drivers it may seem boring because it is so civilized when you want it. The dual personality isn't for everyone as some drivers want an exotic feel even at low speeds.
I think the first notion that comes to my mind is the dichotomization of "car people". Some love the engagement, others the attention, and I purchased my 3RS because of the former. I took off the red accents, and have tried to subdue it in every way possible. That isn't to say it's yawn inspiring, but rather, every time I get in it, im driving the car for myself, and only myself. I think looking at others' of the period, say a 430 scud or lp570, it is a fair assumption to note that the 3RS is both more challenging to drive, and thus engaging. They are somewhat mutually exclusive, where the engagement provides challenge and the challenge provides engagement. With that being said, and granted I've not driven a stock 997.2 (cup clutch, guards diff, suspension kinematics etc), my car is inconceivably more difficult driving at 3/10ths than it is 10/10ths. I find it very enjoyable trying to drive as smoothly and flawlessly as possible when say grabbing errands etc.
While the excitement of say a slow car driving fast is not present, nor is maybe the attention aspect of the experience, I find I learn and engage with the car so much, regardless of driving tempo. I could see how this is not for everyone, I mean for a while after purchasing the car, I'd be physically and mentally exhausted from just taking a trip to town and back. And I know allot of people want to spend money on a car that is solely enjoyable, without the stress, strength or rhythm that the 3RS somewhat mandates, but I am a true believer that if you can enjoy the car on track, there is no reason why that cant be boiled down at lower speeds on daily drives.
Look, turn TC and ABS off and you can lock your brakes up going as slow as you'd like. I think there is always something engaging and thus exciting to be had with the car, but then again, I am young and I am dumb....
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (04-05-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 02:37 AM
HairyAsHell
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hairy,
I'm a bit confused. Your initial statement is that the 991 & 992 RS's "only come in PDK" (with negative intonation) & thus we make the assumption that the REASON you want a 7 GT3RS is because it is manual. Yet your second post says you might even consider a GT4 RS which is also only PDK.

Seems to me you'll need to settle first on whether you prefer to have the manual or not. If manual is the only transmission you'll accept, and you want compliancy on the streets as a infrequent Daily Driver,... then you really SHOULD consider a 991.2 GT3 in manual. It will have all the electronic conveniences inside (Nav, CarPlay, nice sound system, well appointed interiors, etc).

Bottom line is that if you MUST have manual, and you MUST have a RS,... then you really only have one choice, yes?
Based on all the feedback here and more research, I am considering the 991.2 GT3 like you suggested. It seems more useable and yet still provide the excitement as an infrequent DD. Although I noticed the gearing ratio for the 991.2 GT3 seems longer than that of the 997.2 GT3 RS. So I would have atleast have 3 gears to play with instead of 2 before hitting the speed limit.

Last edited by HairyAsHell; 04-16-2023 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:41 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

While I rate a 997 over 991 for pure fun as a combined street and track toy, a 991.2 manual (wing or sans wing) is a much more quasi-dd candidate imo.

Additionally, imo, the gear ratio thing is overblown (on street) in all these gt's and when judged purely in isolation, gear ratios dont tell the full story. On track the longer gears can leave you in wrong rpm and power band. On street I don't drive to red line every shift. I drive to RL for a short burst of acceleration and to hear it scream. I also short shift. And sometimes a longer crescendo to RL one time is more exciting than two that get there bang bang. So the gearing thing, on street, imo is totally subjective. On track it's real. I think rush to redline in a 3.6 rs in 1st or 2nd with tall gearing bests a 4.0 in the 4.0 u get there BANG fast. In the 3.6 it draws out that rush. On track the 4.0 is amazing because you are always in the right gear; the 3.6 can leave in too tall of a gear with no torque too often and you have to down shift more due to combination of lack of torque and taller gears. Tomato tomato when it comes to which is more fun due to shifting and redline.

991.2: 1st gear is a usable downshift gear as well. So there's that. I still put 997 over 991 for pure fun but I rate the transmission experience of a 991.2 manual over a 997 3/rs/etc, especially on street. On track it's a longer explanation but I'll give nod to 997 transmission for fun and 991 for lap time due to auto blip and no-lift-shift if you feel lazy and want 100% concentration on lines and braking.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 04-16-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:27 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I used my 997.1RS as a DD for three years, and 25-30k miles. It was a joy to drive every single time.
The following users liked this post:
flat6fan18 (04-16-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 04:35 AM
HairyAsHell
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
While I rate a 997 over 991 for pure fun as a combined street and track toy, a 991.2 manual (wing or sans wing) is a much more quasi-dd candidate imo.

Additionally, imo, the gear ratio thing is overblown (on street) in all these gt's and when judged purely in isolation, gear ratios dont tell the full story. On track the longer gears can leave you in wrong rpm and power band. On street I don't drive to red line every shift. I drive to RL for a short burst of acceleration and to hear it scream. I also short shift. And sometimes a longer crescendo to RL one time is more exciting than two that get there bang bang. So the gearing thing, on street, imo is totally subjective. On track it's real. I think rush to redline in a 3.6 rs in 1st or 2nd with tall gearing bests a 4.0 in the 4.0 u get there BANG fast. In the 3.6 it draws out that rush. On track the 4.0 is amazing because you are always in the right gear; the 3.6 can leave in too tall of a gear with no torque too often and you have to down shift more due to combination of lack of torque and taller gears. Tomato tomato when it comes to which is more fun due to shifting and redline.

991.2: 1st gear is a usable downshift gear as well. So there's that. I still put 997 over 991 for pure fun but I rate the transmission experience of a 991.2 manual over a 997 3/rs/etc, especially on street. On track it's a longer explanation but I'll give nod to 997 transmission for fun and 991 for lap time due to auto blip and no-lift-shift if you feel lazy and want 100% concentration on lines and braking.
Excellent points. Really torn right now between the 997.2 3RS and 991.2 3 . I have a 458 on my radar but that doesn't fulfill my craving for the manual. Although the wife prefers an automatic and the looks of the ferrari.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by HairyAsHell
Excellent points. Really torn right now between the 997.2 3RS and 991.2 3 . I have a 458 on my radar but that doesn't fulfill my craving for the manual. Although the wife prefers an automatic and the looks of the ferrari.
it was easy for me because I always default to unique experiences in life vs the “best” the current moment in time offers. That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy driving my friends cars

I feel like everything you described you like about the 991.2 exists in so many new cars like the M4 GTS and most definitely in the 718 GT4 and it’s faster than the 458.

but as far as daily driver, nah I wouldn’t take my RS to work often… carerra GTS, 992.1 Touring, R8 V10 plus, I like all those better if I was just someone that likes twisties and goes to the track to “tinker”

I’ll say one thing, the reason it’s so hard to get rid of a 7. 2 3RS is that it’s a hard car to be fast in compared to others, backend tries to scoot out on looking over cliff edges etc etc. So once you realize your GOOD with this car you enter a ‘club’ of sorts of guys that chose form over function (I prob can’t claim this title yet but I’m trying)

I’ll shake both owners hands after a track day, but the guy pulling up in a 997 gets my respect

Last edited by Wonderdan; 06-07-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:27 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by HairyAsHell
458 is a great car, I really enjoyed mine.

If you want to work for your speed, get the 997.2 RS. Otherwise I'd go with the 458 over the 991.2 GT3.

Also if this will be your daily driver, then I'd stick with the 991.2 GT3 since it will be the easiest of them to live with day in and day out.

Last edited by EMpunker; 06-07-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 RS as a daily?