Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 RS as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 PM
Gesler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Will be difficult to drive daily (>5 days a week) but once or twice a week is doable and thoroughly enjoyable. The sound in the cabin will get to you unless it's a short commute. Drove to Willow Springs for a track day on a Thursday. The long drive home in busy traffic was interminable.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by HairyAsHell
Ok I probably used the term "daily" too loosely. I should clarify... I dont intend to drive daily as I work from home, so it would be mainly for errands to go to town and weekend drives. I was considering this for the manual Porsche experience or a GT4 RS.
I’m in a similar situation and this is what I do with my GT3 and 964. The only time I drive my daily is if there will be traffic or bad weather. Now that they installed express lanes near me and I can skip almost all traffic, it’s really just bad weather. The GT3 is on 500/700 lb springs, so it’s not soft, but so worth it.

it’s getting to the point where my daily only moves so I can get one of the other cars out..
Old 03-11-2023, 07:11 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Hairy,
I'm a bit confused. Your initial statement is that the 991 & 992 RS's "only come in PDK" (with negative intonation) & thus we make the assumption that the REASON you want a 7 GT3RS is because it is manual. Yet your second post says you might even consider a GT4 RS which is also only PDK.

Seems to me you'll need to settle first on whether you prefer to have the manual or not. If manual is the only transmission you'll accept, and you want compliancy on the streets as a infrequent Daily Driver,... then you really SHOULD consider a 991.2 GT3 in manual. It will have all the electronic conveniences inside (Nav, CarPlay, nice sound system, well appointed interiors, etc).

Bottom line is that if you MUST have manual, and you MUST have a RS,... then you really only have one choice, yes?

Old 03-12-2023, 03:56 AM
HairyAsHell
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hairy,
I'm a bit confused. Your initial statement is that the 991 & 992 RS's "only come in PDK" (with negative intonation) & thus we make the assumption that the REASON you want a 7 GT3RS is because it is manual. Yet your second post says you might even consider a GT4 RS which is also only PDK.

Seems to me you'll need to settle first on whether you prefer to have the manual or not. If manual is the only transmission you'll accept, and you want compliancy on the streets as a infrequent Daily Driver,... then you really SHOULD consider a 991.2 GT3 in manual. It will have all the electronic conveniences inside (Nav, CarPlay, nice sound system, well appointed interiors, etc).

Bottom line is that if you MUST have manual, and you MUST have a RS,... then you really only have one choice, yes?
I do want the manual experience and it does not necessarily have to be an RS. I'm open to a standard GT3 but based on my research it seems the 997.2 RS is peak Porsche (minus the 4.0 which is out of my budget) with potential to be a infrequent DD. But the only exception I'd make to forego a manual would be for a GT4 RS (which I'm on a waitlist for). The reason GT4 RS is in my shortlist is because the wife prefers PDK and that GT3 engine in a smaller Cayman body just sounds delicious. If I do choose the GT4 RS then I definitely will add a manual in my collection down the line as I need that itch scratched one way or the other. I've also considered an manual F430 at one point but I'm more leaning towards a P car than the other brands.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:33 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

DD'd a 7.2 GT3 in early 30s w/ LWB and SW cat back exhaust. Loved it always with a Lexus ISF for daily duties.

Fast forward to early 40s and experiencing all 991 and 992, went back for 7.2 GT3 RS w/LWB and enjoy it a lot. Far more deliberate and sporty than 991.2 GT3 manual, lot less creature comforts. I love the 7.2 GT3 RS, but tougher to DD mostly because of LWFW chatter at stop lights.

Yes, totally different, but enjoying the 997 GT2 for DD duties lately. Sofa seats and a real "sport classic"!

OP - can't go wrong and all subjective. 7.2 3RS is special because it is sportier and rawer than anything made after 2011.

The following 8 users liked this post by SSTHO:
DD GT3 RD (03-13-2023), GTTommy (03-13-2023), HairyAsHell (03-14-2023), Hdizzle (03-23-2023), jreifler (03-16-2023), nle (03-13-2023), Spyderativ (03-24-2023), SupraSaiyan (03-12-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-2023, 10:06 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

As others have said, it depends on your own personal temperament for a car that is less compliant than other models and where you live/drive.

That being said, I live in Florida and daily drive my 6GT3 with Ohlins R&T. Still doing it after 17 years and 144,000 miles. Your situation may vary, but you wouldn't be the first or the last.

I've driven mine everywhere, including long out-of-state vacations. We even put it on the Autotrain so we could spend 10 days driving through the North East and some of my old stomping grounds. Amazing how much luggage you can pack into that car for two.

Can't do that in an F430.

Last edited by Marv; 03-12-2023 at 10:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marv:
flat6fan18 (03-12-2023), HairyAsHell (03-14-2023), Wilder (03-13-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 12:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

I do want the manual experience and it does not necessarily have to be an RS. I'm open to a standard GT3 but based on my research it seems the 997.2 RS is peak Porsche (minus the 4.0 which is out of my budget) with potential to be a infrequent DD. But the only exception I'd make to forego a manual would be for a GT4 RS (which I'm on a waitlist for). The reason GT4 RS is in my shortlist is because the wife prefers PDK and that GT3 engine in a smaller Cayman body just sounds delicious. If I do choose the GT4 RS then I definitely will add a manual in my collection down the line as I need that itch scratched one way or the other. I've also considered an manual F430 at one point but I'm more leaning towards a P car than the other brands.
Does it have to be a GT car? If just daily driven I would test drive a 997.2 GTS.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:44 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

The F430 is very wearing to drive in traffic. I think that if you want good advice you need to explain what daily driving means to you. Like where you live and where you get to for work.

Raudi Driver suggested a 997.2 GTS,and I owned both that car and a 997.2 GT3 at the same time. The ride quality was similar though you feel like you are part of the car in a GT3. The wail of the engine is fab. Downside is a stiff clutch.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:16 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm sure plenty of people have had good experiences with 430's but mine wasn't good. Bought a 2008 back in 2012 with 2k miles on it. Over 2 years it was in the shop 5 times. Seemed like every other time I drove it something would break. Car has tons of body flex. As a car guy I had to scratch the Ferrari itch, but that thing was a piece a junk.

Old 03-13-2023, 03:21 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

I love my RS but wouldn't use it as a DD. Just too harsh IMO. That's why I have a 718. But there are some guys out there that do it.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:40 AM
HairyAsHell
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Finlander
I'm sure plenty of people have had good experiences with 430's but mine wasn't good. Bought a 2008 back in 2012 with 2k miles on it. Over 2 years it was in the shop 5 times. Seemed like every other time I drove it something would break. Car has tons of body flex. As a car guy I had to scratch the Ferrari itch, but that thing was a piece a junk.
Was it a manual?
Old 03-14-2023, 03:41 AM
HairyAsHell
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
The F430 is very wearing to drive in traffic. I think that if you want good advice you need to explain what daily driving means to you. Like where you live and where you get to for work.

Raudi Driver suggested a 997.2 GTS,and I owned both that car and a 997.2 GT3 at the same time. The ride quality was similar though you feel like you are part of the car in a GT3. The wail of the engine is fab. Downside is a stiff clutch.
I mentioned earlier that it's not exactly for DD but more for infrequent DD as it would be mainly for errands to town and weekend drives. I mainly work from home these days.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:13 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 143 Posts

Was it a manual?
no
Old 03-16-2023, 05:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Ok I probably used the term "daily" too loosely. I should clarify... I dont intend to drive daily as I work from home, so it would be mainly for errands to go to town and weekend drives. I was considering this for the manual Porsche experience or a GT4 RS.
I'd say go for it. I too rarely go into the office these days and work from home. I don't go out much so when i do, I want it to be eventful. Just drive one first if you can to make sure you can live with the clutch in your environment. I don't know about the 4RS but know the 918 GT4 has an equally heavy clutch.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:24 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
I'd say go for it. I too rarely go into the office these days and work from home. I don't go out much so when i do, I want it to be eventful. Just drive one first if you can to make sure you can live with the clutch in your environment. I don't know about the 4RS but know the 918 GT4 has an equally heavy clutch.
Agree with this, except the 981 GT4 clutch is dramatically softer than a 997 GT3 clutch. Like driving a Civic by comparison. And of course the 4RS only has 2 pedals . . .

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 RS as a daily?