Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Harmonic Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 01:25 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
With regards to street/highway driving and low RPM vibration, it's certainly something that is always in the back of my mind. I purposely drive in a lower gear or two all the time just keep revs up, even when cruising on the x-way around town when I take the car out.

Sure, it's not 6-8K, but if I keep revs at 4-5k instead of 2-3K, I figure it can't hurt!
I think about this constantly and don't know how to feel about it. It seems 6th gear on the freeway is always around 3k rpm, which i try to avoid by going a few mph faster. Cruising at 4k rpm seems like the car is screaming, is this really the beneficial route to go?

Also, when BBI did my clutch they had the whole clutch and flywheel assemble balanced. Does this mitigate any concerns?
Old 03-16-2023, 01:31 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
I think about this constantly and don't know how to feel about it. It seems 6th gear on the freeway is always around 3k rpm, which i try to avoid by going a few mph faster. Cruising at 4k rpm seems like the car is screaming, is this really the beneficial route to go?

Also, when BBI did my clutch they had the whole clutch and flywheel assemble balanced. Does this mitigate any concerns?
Interestingly, I just recently had a brand new 4.0 clutch / LWFW assembly installed. The engine feels substatially smoother, borderline flawless, especially in the mid rpm range. Previously my rearview mirror would shake a little when cruising in the 3K range. I don't feel that now. I'm almost wondering if the weird harmonic issues may also stem from an out of balance clutch assembly.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:43 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788

I know the gearing is different in your RS, but I am constantly looking at this same thing.
I will say when I went to a less aggressive exhaust it was much easier to level with. My car is pretty much in 5th unless I'm going 80+.
With all of the road trips Ive done in this car, I have calculated myself a very noticeable difference in MPG when swapping to this method about a year ago.
The car is much more efficient in 5th for almost all highway driving. If we had something like the Autobahn here Im sure 6th would be great.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Interestingly, I just recently had a brand new 4.0 clutch / LWFW assembly installed. The engine feels substatially smoother, borderline flawless, especially in the mid rpm range. Previously my rearview mirror would shake a little when cruising in the 3K range. I don't feel that now. I'm almost wondering if the weird harmonic issues may also stem from an out of balance clutch assembly.
Absolutely same experience here. It had the 3.8 RS stuff when I first got it, when I replaced everything with the 4.0 setup it was pretty eye opening.
Less low RPM vibrations and rattles, smoother through any part of the rev range, better pedal feel and we all know the performance enhancements.

If it's any consolation I have had the 4.0 clutch/ LWFW with SharkWerks' "fix", and no damper, on my .2 for 22,000 miles without a single issue.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Dampers