Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Should I buy now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022 | 04:32 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
Nice! Can you not get the permit and get your car shipped from the border? That's my plan in reverse. I get one year in the US. US and Canada cars get 6 mos in Mexico. I haven't taken a tour of MDR but I'm in touch with them. Their sales team is obnoxious.
I'm sure its possible... but there are lots of factors, like will Hagerty insure outside the US on track... the cost to get it there and back is probably $8k and the fact that my wife will only let me go when I have to go for work, so short trips. I know they plan to have 992's and AMG Black's etc for tourism, but I doubt they will have any 997.2's... just doesn't make sense for lots of reasons.
Old 11-18-2022 | 04:42 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,297 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
I almost assumed bringing a Euro car into Mexico would be a non-issue but maybe not. Nonetheless, $125K for the car you're looking at based on US market pricing is a good deal. The buckets are worth $10K+ alone so again, not a bad buy. Not sure what they were selling for prior to COVID, so hard to say how inflated that number is in comparison. The more glaring issue is that you seem to not love the color, and you really want an RS, so you have to weigh all of that against the limitations you're working with - i.e. probably not a lot of cars to chose from in your market at any given time, and probably much less so on an RS, particularly if you're not shopping with a blank check approach.
I just got off the phone with the dealer that I've got orders with for other p-cars. After speaking with him, it seems like an opportunity. To find that car again will likely take a year here and it seems more and more people are starting to understand what a Mezger is and the desirability of these cars, all of which makes me feel better about the purchase.

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I'm sure its possible... but there are lots of factors, like will Hagerty insure outside the US on track... the cost to get it there and back is probably $8k and the fact that my wife will only let me go when I have to go for work, so short trips. I know they plan to have 992's and AMG Black's etc for tourism, but I doubt they will have any 997.2's... just doesn't make sense for lots of reasons.
I get it. Variety is the reason I'd like to take whatever car I end up buying to the US. My 97 y/o grandma lives in Sonoma and she's getting more tired by the day. I might take the car, move in with her for a while and play in one of the several tracks in the area.
Old 11-18-2022 | 10:22 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 183 Posts

If you're going to keep it long term, buy now and enjoy your life. You say it's a forever car, so what is 10k over the course of your lifetime? I live in CA where everyone is rich and GT3s are plentiful and yet finding a nice 997 is still difficult. If there are only 50 down there i say go for it! If it makes you feel any better, there would be actual riots over a GR .2 for $125 in the states, haha!

If i were a flipper or investor i would wait a few months and pick up some panic sales but I don't know if these cars will ever return to 2019 pricing.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 12:40 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vma1788
If i were a flipper or investor i would wait a few months and pick up some panic sales but I don't know if these cars will ever return to 2019 pricing.
I personally also think they will hold because I’m seeing my friends have more interest in pre-running a Porsche Dakar esq or open-wheel F4 than getting a 992 3RS space ship. While the new GT is an engineering marvel so is the new Z06, as will be every model after.

Once you have cheat codes to a game…

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-19-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Wilder (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 11:45 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 550 Posts

If keeping for an indefinite time period and considering it more as an "entry price" to allow access to an experience you want in life, go for it.

If you are trying to understand if it is a better or worse point in time based on a finite period of ownership and/or you will mtm yourself on the decision, I'd consult a magic 8 ball at this point. Overall prices are probably nearer a near-term high than a near-term low. While off the highs prices have run hard. If taking a big "mtm" hit is going to reduce your enjoyment materially, wait and buy when we see some distress again; it will happen. If not go for it.

Anyones forecast is just an opinion and we all know that those are like.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 11-19-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Wilder (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 01:10 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for your helpful thoughts. I'm getting it PPI'd on Tuesday.

Originally Posted by vma1788
If you're going to keep it long term, buy now and enjoy your life. You say it's a forever car, so what is 10k over the course of your lifetime? I live in CA where everyone is rich and GT3s are plentiful and yet finding a nice 997 is still difficult. If there are only 50 down there i say go for it! If it makes you feel any better, there would be actual riots over a GR .2 for $125 in the states, haha!

The conclusion I came to yesterday. These cars are not easy to come by and I'm not going to split hairs over it. In the bigger scheme of things, I'm getting a deal.

I personally also think they will hold because I’m seeing my friends have more interest in pre-running a Porsche Dakar esq or open-wheel F4 than getting a 992 3RS space ship. While the new GT is an engineering marvel so is the new Z06, as will be every model after.

Once you have cheat codes to a game…
I have a deposit on a 992 and I couldn't be more ambivalent about it. I only put a deposit down because finding the 991.2 I want is needle-in-a-haystack level.

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
If keeping for an indefinite time period and considering it more as an "entry price" to allow access to an experience you want in life, go for it.

If you are trying to understand if it is a better or worse point in time based on a finite period of ownership and/or you will mtm yourself on the decision, I'd consult a magic 8 ball at this point. Overall prices are probably nearer a near-term high than a near-term low. While off the highs prices have run hard. If taking a big "mtm" hit is going to reduce your enjoyment materially, wait and buy when we see some distress again; it will happen. If not go for it.

Anyones forecast is just an opinion and we all know that those are like.
This is a car I'd likely keep for a long time and given their relative scarcity, I'll skip trying to time the market.

Thank you everybody!

Last edited by Wilder; 11-22-2022 at 12:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
cavlino (11-22-2022), GTTommy (11-22-2022), Steve Theodore (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022 | 03:13 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to come back and say thank you @Bxstr @FLT6 @ljmartyre @lawrence1 @Wonderdan @flat6fan18 @vma1788 @Jrtaylor9 for chiming in and helping me land on pulling the trigger.
Old 11-28-2022 | 05:47 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avid
Just wanted to come back and say thank you @Bxstr @FLT6 @ljmartyre @lawrence1 @Wonderdan @flat6fan18 @vma1788 @Jrtaylor9 for chiming in and helping me land on pulling the trigger.
Why do i feel like I just became culpable in some future liability
Old 11-28-2022 | 06:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Why do i feel like I just became culpable in some future liability
Just crossing my T's and dotting my I's.

Nah, just had to make a quick decision on a relatively unplanned purchase and this thread was helpful.

Quick Reply: Should I buy now?