unusual brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 08:52 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts
Default unusual brake pad wear

08 GT3
In looking through my wheels on the car (I have not had a chance to remove them and inspect more closely) it appears that my rear pads are gone but my front pads don't seem to have much wear at all. Judging by the brake dust buildup this seems completely backward. The setup has been on my car for almost 2 years and 6500 miles including 2 track weekends at Mid-Ohio. Looking at my receipt I installed Girodiscs with Ferodo FRP 3143g and FRP 3075GB, DS3.12 pads. Is this normal or the sign of some type of issue.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:51 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Are you running it with PASM and traction on?
Old 08-16-2022, 03:40 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Are you running it with PASM and traction on?
yes
Old 08-16-2022, 03:52 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 651 Likes on 365 Posts

If any driver aids are left engaged, it's very common for the rear pads to wear out very quickly. The car uses stability control to try and correct yaw (stop the rear end from coming around). It does so by engaging the brakes on the inside rear wheel to stop the car from rotating. Even if you think the car isn't actively braking, it many times actually is in a subtle manner. We see this on Porsches, Corvettes, BMW...all modern cars. It is completely normal. Turning off all driver aids will typically provide more even brake pad wear on the rear.

With the above said, 911s tend to have far more even front / rear pad wear than we see on other types of cars. That is because of the drivetrain layout. On something like a Honda Civic Type R, you have the engine and driven wheels (a huge amount of weight) at the front of the vehicle. As such, the front brakes take the vast majority of the abuse under braking. On a rear engine 911, the load on the rear brakes is relatively greater, and we typically see more balanced front and rear brake wear.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 04:01 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
If any driver aids are left engaged, it's very common for the rear pads to wear out very quickly. The car uses stability control to try and correct yaw (stop the rear end from coming around). It does so by engaging the brakes on the inside rear wheel to stop the car from rotating. Even if you think the car isn't actively braking, it many times actually is in a subtle manner. We see this on Porsches, Corvettes, BMW...all modern cars. It is completely normal. Turning off all driver aids will typically provide more even brake pad wear on the rear.

With the above said, 911s tend to have far more even front / rear pad wear than we see on other types of cars. That is because of the drivetrain layout. On something like a Honda Civic Type R, you have the engine and driven wheels (a huge amount of weight) at the front of the vehicle. As such, the front brakes take the vast majority of the abuse under braking. On a rear engine 911, the load on the rear brakes is relatively greater, and we typically see more balanced front and rear brake wear.
Good to know. I am just fast enough to be hard on everything but not skilled enough to turn off the nannies. I will gladly buy rear pads prematurely!!.
JRitt@essex (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 04:04 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by my first 911
Good to know. I am just fast enough to be hard on everything but not skilled enough to turn off the nannies. I will gladly buy rear pads prematurely!!.
Understood. Nothing wrong with that. By all means, safety first!

If you get a chance to drive something like a miata on street tires on track with no nannies, you should do so. Easy to handle and things happen very slowly!
Old 08-16-2022, 09:44 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

False alarm.....I took the wheels off this evening and the pad wear is very similar front to back (about 11 mm in the front and about 10 mm in the rear). I have no idea why they appeared so different through the wheels. Thanks for all the input.
JRitt@essex (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:29 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sometimes it's just an optical illusion due to the overall pad size, etc. It's tough to get a good read by just looking through the wheels.

Here's an article on racing and track pads that you may find useful as well. It examines pad taper, crumbling, checking pad thickness, etc.

Track and racing brake pad owner's guide

Quick Reply: unusual brake pad wear