Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Full Car PPF. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022 | 10:43 PM
EvilllEmpirE
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
just curious - what did it run you to do the full wrap on the X3? lease or purchase? how long do you plan to keep it for?
Full Wrap was about $5k iirc…..and that was a bro deal from one of my buddies who’s a very well known Detailers and Appel film Dealer in North NJ. We Purchased the X3MC…..ordered it in Jan of 20’ and arrived in April as a COVID was in full swing. We picked up in May….and there were Great Incentives at that Time, not to mention Insane discounts off MSRP. We Plan to keep it for awhile….my Wife loves it and so do I.
Old 08-08-2022 | 10:55 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,013 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
What’s the reason behind a X-Pel for DD and Suntek for not? I did full X Pel on the family X3M Comp…..wondering why you would go for one over the other for certain applications…? Tia

Originally Posted by vma1788
Yeah the edges could be super annoying. My first .1 had full PPF with wrapped edges and it was nice. This car definitely has a template kit since there are edges on the fenders, which I don't love.

Im not worried about removing paint on the body panels as much as I am being in the position that you found yourself in with having to do extensive detail work when the time comes to remove it.

RAudi- what makes you say that about xpel vs Suntech, just thickness? I believe they are the same parent company.
Both films have a 8mil stack and I from what I've been hearing throughout the years, Xpel's seem to feel a little thicker and thereby thoughts are that it protects the car better. Maybe it's something in the Poly manufacturing between the two whereas one is a bit tougher than that other, albeit with clarity being a little tradeoff. However looking at Suntek's site they appear to have another level that's a bit thicker. If one wanted to stay with one brand, may go with Suntek ultra defense for the front bumper, hood and in front of the rear wheel wells and Suntek Ultra for the rest of the car. Now seeing this, I may go this route for my Pumpkin.

Both are great films and you can't go wrong with either. You can only go wrong with the incorrect installer.

Old 08-09-2022 | 10:01 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 109 Posts

The previous owner of my white .1 GT3 did a full car wrap in March of '19. I bought the car in January '20. I'm not sure of the brand he used but the film itself has held up very well. No noticeable dings or lifting. But..... it is a precut template and around the bumper vents, sunroof, and license plate you can see some dirt build up along the edges. Since the car is white it obviously shows more than a darker color and it kind of drives me nuts. I do what I can to keep it clean but those edges are difficult. At this point since it's still fairly new and hasn't seen a ton of miles and no track time so I'm not going to do anything about it. In the future when it needs to be redone I probably won't do the entire car. But definitely the whole front and rockers.
Old 08-11-2022 | 04:26 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 83 Posts

If you plan to drive the car, I'd recommend full PPF and live with the inevitable removal and replacement process in a few years. PPF has saved me from painting panels more times than I can count at this point. I live in NY and it's not uncommon for a rock or piece of metal to get kicked up by a car in front and hit a panel. PPF turns that event into a $150 paintless dent repair versus out of pocket repaints or carfax events that ultimately hurt value.
Old 08-11-2022 | 08:39 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm also in Long Beach, can't wait to see your RS cruising around town.

For me I go with full PPF on all my vehicles. Converted my garage to a gym during covid so prefer the added coverage of PPF & ceramic.
Old 08-17-2022 | 11:46 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by armanslr
I'm also in Long Beach, can't wait to see your RS cruising around town.

For me I go with full PPF on all my vehicles. Converted my garage to a gym during covid so prefer the added coverage of PPF & ceramic.
i remembered this thread when I got off the track today… if you do partial PPF make sure you get behind the rear wheels

Quick Reply: Full Car PPF. Thoughts?