Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Front wheel well corrosion near tub

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 05:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts
Default Front wheel well corrosion near tub

Can anyone take a look at the bottom of both their front driver side and passenger side wheel well, near the front tub and tell me if you notice any chipping or corrosion? You would want to position yourself directly behind the front wheel in order to see this. Curious how widespread this is.

Details:
In May of 2021, there was a BAT auction on a car that Doug at Switchcars had. Someone had pointed out some corrosion near the battery drain area on the passenger side wheel well. Doug later had made a mention on GT Vault, below, showing this corrosion. Mine appears to be limited to chipping of the paint, but I'll assume that it'll turn into rust soon enough so I'm planning to have this addressed before my car goes into winter storage. The shop doing the work has done this work on GT cars in the past. I've personally witnessed this issue on a 996 GT3 on the driver side and also on various pics from 997 GT auctions. Unfortunately, 996/997 GT cars came with less corrosion resistance from factory which likely plays into this. For instance, if you look at a 997 Turbo and a 997 GT3 front wheel well, the texture of the front wheel well area will be different. In the case of my car, there is no other underbody corrosion and all of the cosmoline is in place. The car, from what I know and previous owners I've talked with, saw little to no winter weather driving. Posting this now to hopefully avoid having to zoom in on any more BAT auctions to try and find out the number of cars affected by this. Yes, I'm a bit OCD.

GT Vault post:
View this post on Instagram

BAT Auction where originally noticed:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt3-rs-14/

My car:

Old 07-28-2022, 05:52 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

hmmm, the chipping of the paint you reference seems to be further back from the battery tube, so my guess would be that it was just weak paint at that seam. And then debris from driving has kicked up & helped chip the paint off. So I'm thinking that once you get the paint part fixed along that seam, you'll be fine. Your battery tube seems to be hanging down below that corner by 1/4" or so,... which is better than mine. My tube comes down & stops exactly at the edge of the metal body seam. So I am starting to see some discoloration in that exact corner. I remember reading Doug's comments, and thinking to myself, I need to go buy a full length of same tubing, but that is 1" or so longer.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Last edited by bweSteve; 07-28-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:57 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Also appreciate the reminder! Mine looks good right now, but will definitely get on extending the tube.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:43 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess another benefit of lithium battery for these cars is not having to worry about this tube being too short.
The following users liked this post:
zdet (07-28-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:57 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Can add another one to the list. This time on a RS4.0 with 4500 miles.

The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Front wheel well corrosion near tub