Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 carbon

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 04:42 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997 GT2 carbon

Hi All, I have 08 GT2. A few of the interior carbon pieces are cracking. Has anyone replaced these with aftermarket? I'm having trouble locating OeM.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:51 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

No first hand experience, but I've heard good feedback on MACarbon: https://www.macarbon.com/porsche-299...interior-parts
Old 07-27-2022, 04:53 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Perfect. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2022, 05:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

I have DB Carbon. Great product. Great customer service.

MA Carbon is great too. They also will do some things such as including the cupholder logo on the trim which DB Carbon doesn't do.

DB was like half the cost of MA Carbon for the center console when I was buying. Not sure if that is still the case.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Had a few DB Carbon pieces on my old 997 and the quality was top notch.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:42 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 for DB Carbon! Top quality and service every time i used their parts!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:33 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 255 Posts

After 18 months, only 1 of the 4 interior OEM carbon pieces were delivered, and PNH told me that they no longer had a forecast, as the change in OE supplier still wasn't producing pieces that were meeting quality issues with Porsche AG.

I'm debating what I want to do, but I think I'm going to order OEM trim pieces painted exterior color, as I prefer that look anyway.

Not really answering your question, other than confirming getting OE carbon trim for the 997 GT2 has a bleak outlook.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atlrvr
After 18 months, only 1 of the 4 interior OEM carbon pieces were delivered, and PNH told me that they no longer had a forecast, as the change in OE supplier still wasn't producing pieces that were meeting quality issues with Porsche AG.

I'm debating what I want to do, but I think I'm going to order OEM trim pieces painted exterior color, as I prefer that look anyway.

Not really answering your question, other than confirming getting OE carbon trim for the 997 GT2 has a bleak outlook.
Just curious, any reason you want OEM carbon compared with MA or DB Carbon? As long as you keep your stock parts for resale, I don’t think it would matter and quality of both vendors is excellent.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Mac and DB both produce better quality than the Porsche parts.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:59 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 255 Posts

The 3 passenger side trim pieces for the cupholder and one the of the windshield vent trim strips were warping when I purchased the car in 2020. The previous seller hadn't had luck in sourcing them. I ordered pieces through Porsche North Houston and pretty much said, I don't care, I'll just wait. They let me know a few months later that Porsche AG was changing 997 carbon trim OE suppliers because of quality issues. Based on updates I got, it sounds like no potential vendor ever met their quality standards (no idea of DB or MA were bidders). They did produce the dash/windshield vent trim piece, but maybe since that was flat (not molded) it was "easier"?

Early this year, I was told the Porsche AG was no longer providing an ETA (they had been previously revising it forward every few months) and I could keep waiting or not, so I cancelled the order for the cupholder trim pieces.

As far as why I don't want DB or MA Carbon....no great reason. I'm sort of weird, and OCD, and just assumed I would get OE pieces to say it's all original. Removing 3 warped pieces and storing them didn't feel like it was doing anything for a future potential buyer as far as offering an 100% original car. Also, if I were to have specced the car myself, I would have done all interior trim painted in exterior color instead of carbon. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. Replacing all carbon (except steering wheel and shifter) with OE speed yellow painted trim, and then resubmitting an order or OE carbon fiber pieces if they can ever be sourced again, and just keeping the CF in storage. It's all sort of academic as well, as I'm no longer entertaining the idea of selling in the near term, so time is on my side, and the yellow painted look will make me happier anyway.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atlrvr
The 3 passenger side trim pieces for the cupholder and one the of the windshield vent trim strips were warping when I purchased the car in 2020. The previous seller hadn't had luck in sourcing them. I ordered pieces through Porsche North Houston and pretty much said, I don't care, I'll just wait. They let me know a few months later that Porsche AG was changing 997 carbon trim OE suppliers because of quality issues. Based on updates I got, it sounds like no potential vendor ever met their quality standards (no idea of DB or MA were bidders). They did produce the dash/windshield vent trim piece, but maybe since that was flat (not molded) it was "easier"?

Early this year, I was told the Porsche AG was no longer providing an ETA (they had been previously revising it forward every few months) and I could keep waiting or not, so I cancelled the order for the cupholder trim pieces.

As far as why I don't want DB or MA Carbon....no great reason. I'm sort of weird, and OCD, and just assumed I would get OE pieces to say it's all original. Removing 3 warped pieces and storing them didn't feel like it was doing anything for a future potential buyer as far as offering an 100% original car. Also, if I were to have specced the car myself, I would have done all interior trim painted in exterior color instead of carbon. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. Replacing all carbon (except steering wheel and shifter) with OE speed yellow painted trim, and then resubmitting an order or OE carbon fiber pieces if they can ever be sourced again, and just keeping the CF in storage. It's all sort of academic as well, as I'm no longer entertaining the idea of selling in the near term, so time is on my side, and the yellow painted look will make me happier anyway.
Totally understand the desire to keep things genuine Porsche, no matter how small of a detail. It probably comes back to knowing that from a resale perspective, a 100% genuine Porsche part only car is going to fetch a higher dollar amount. Also, as these cars get older, finding stock ones gets harder and harder. Also as you've proven, parts become NLA from Porsche whereas getting aftermarket parts is almost always possible.

I actually want to start a thread about this (keeping things genuine Porsche vs upgrading with better quality parts). In my case, thinking about suspension components and wheels. In your case, I'd say DB or MA Carbon is better quality than Porsche carbon, but even so, we choose the inferior Porsche part in many cases to try and keep things original.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:39 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
.... I actually want to start a thread about this (keeping things genuine Porsche vs upgrading with better quality parts). In my case, thinking about suspension components and wheels. In your case, I'd say DB or MA Carbon is better quality than Porsche carbon, but even so, we choose the inferior Porsche part in many cases to try and keep things original.
That would be a good thread to start JB,... and I would expect that thread to live for decades (or at least the discussion should live that long). The reason I say that is because that discussion has been going on for many decades in the 964 space (as well as with 993's).

For example, with my 964 Turbo, the original shocks were Boge from the factory. They were good back in 1991,... but now there are sooooo much better coilover shock & spring choices, that in most cases, buyers who love original genuine Porsche parts, will never look down on the choice to put German Bilstein B16 PSS10's on a car like mine. The ride is just so far superior (not to mention the adjustability in compression, rebound & ride height).

So as technology progresses, and the cars get older & older, & the choices become more economical & sort of a no-brainer,.. I think the buying population are Ok with those choices.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I was thinking of the MA Carbon seat belt guides for LWB. $1550 is a chunk of change. Anybody bought them?

Seat Belt Guides

https://www.macarbon.com/component/v...ail?Itemid=657

Old 07-29-2022, 12:22 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

Black Label
Where have you been??
Old 07-29-2022, 12:47 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I was thinking of the MA Carbon seat belt guides for LWB. $1550 is a chunk of change. Anybody bought them?

Seat Belt Guides

https://www.macarbon.com/component/v...ail?Itemid=657
Do you have carbon in your car right now? If not then I would say no. Also MA Carbon needs to change the name of those to Carbon Upper Harness Guides, as your seat belts do not route through those holes.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 07-29-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 carbon