Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

failure oil pressure indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 01:18 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default failure oil pressure indicator

I backed my 2010 GT3 out of my garage yesterday and a warning light came on that said "failure oil pressure indicator" and the oil pressure gage read zero. I checked oil level and it was normal. I shut the car off and pushed it back into the garage. This happened about 8 years ago and the dealer replaced the oil sensing unit and all has been good up to now. I made a appt with the same dealer to look at the problem and possible do the same repair. Has this happened to any of you?
Old 06-19-2022, 01:20 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,730 Posts

No
Old 06-20-2022, 03:41 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I've had my 2007 since new; it's never been a problem. You most likely want to hear from folks with a problem though.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:16 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Looks like I got the bad luck. Made appt in July.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:11 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Mine was replaced under warranty almost 10 years ago, no issues since
Old 06-20-2022, 11:21 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

i cant help but think that if the dealer replaced the oil sensing unit a few years ago, its less likely you have another bad sensing unit now. You may have a poor or intermittent connection between the sensor and the DME...perhaps at the sensor connector. Something to check at least.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:58 PM
augustxke
Instructor

I brought the car to the dealer in July to address the oil pressure indicator sensor fault and also the 12 year service. They replaced the sensor and it worked. I went to pick it up and when they started it up to read the DME the indictor light came on again. I left the car, they took it apart again and found the electrical connector was not properly plugged. It was all put together and tested. I came back to pick the car up and as I drove out of the parking lot the warning light came on again. Left the car. The dealer has given us a loaner car during the whole process and they have been good to deal with and i am sure they are as frustrated as I. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2022, 11:51 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

This may or may not help, but looking back through my service history for my 2010/GT3 and I found a campaign from late 2012 where they had to reprogram the DME to correct oil pressure measurements. Below is what was documented for the service performed on my invoice:

"Performed Campaign WC08 - Reprogram DME Control Unit: There is the possibility that an implausible oil pressure will be measured and stored in the DME control unit after switching off the engine on the affected vehicles. As a result, this can cause the oil pressure warning light to be activated unnecessarily in the instrument cluster the next time the engine is started. Reprogram DME"
Old 08-08-2022, 06:02 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by augustxke
I brought the car to the dealer in July to address the oil pressure indicator sensor fault and also the 12 year service. They replaced the sensor and it worked. I went to pick it up and when they started it up to read the DME the indictor light came on again. I left the car, they took it apart again and found the electrical connector was not properly plugged. It was all put together and tested. I came back to pick the car up and as I drove out of the parking lot the warning light came on again. Left the car. The dealer has given us a loaner car during the whole process and they have been good to deal with and i am sure they are as frustrated as I. Any suggestions?
My first thought would be that this dealer is fairly incompetent - have they actually hooked up a mechanical gauge to measure actual oil pressure? While a bad sender is a possibility, I would think the factory diagnostic sequence would want to validate that the engine is getting oil pressure, and the issue is in fact a faulty pressure sender, instead of assuming it's the sender when the engine may not actually have oil pressure. If you want to ask questions, I would ask them to print out the diagnostic procedure and ensure all of the steps were followed. Also, do you have any rodent concerns? How much use does the car get? It could also be that you may have some rodent damage to your wiring somewhere if the car sits for long periods of time and there is rodent activity in your area.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:31 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Doubt DME needs reprogramming as the "implausible" error gets reported if fluids never get up to expected temp range, vs zero reading whatsoever.
you've already had the sensor replaced previously not all that long ago, double checked and cleaned the connector and contacts.
Error keeps coming back? Sounds like bad connection somewhere along the wire harness

sorry to say this but dont discount rodents. we dont like to think about it, but they can get in there and chew on the wires.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:05 PM
augustxke
Instructor

The DME was updated when they replaced the sensor, will see what happens next.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Yes. Mine failed a few years ago and had to replace.

Quick Reply: failure oil pressure indicator