Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

door locking / unlocking issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 02:04 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default door locking / unlocking issues

I had a dead battery last summer and I ended up having to jump start the car. Immediately afterwards, the power door locks stopped working properly. When I'm outside the car and I try to lock it with the key fob button or turn the key in the lock, the lock mechanism seems to activate followed by a double beep from the horn and the car immediately unlocks. However, If I'm inside the car and press the central lock button, the car locks just fine and stays locked.

Anyone have any ideas? This is turning into a real pain as I can't lock the car when I go anywhere!
Old 05-15-2022, 04:33 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

have you tried a double click on your key fob, to lock it?

... I'm no expert on these cars when it comes to the gas door lock (mine seems to have a mind of its own on when it wants to be locked or unlocked),... and I have run into a similar problem on locking the car with fob. I can't even remember how it was before I noticed the need for a double click.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

1) have you replaced the battery, or did you just recharge it? How old is it?
2) the double beep from the horn and immediately unlocking I believe means that the car thinks something is still open. Have you done a scan of the car with a Durametric or PIWIS to see if any codes are coming up?

My guess is it's a microswitch that has gone faulty. Maybe after the car was jumped, too much voltage was delivered to a part of the car?

Some more info at the links below:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tration-4.html
Post 2 has some info, even though the other posts are about the Cayenne: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...eans-what.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...door-lock.html
Old 05-16-2022, 12:18 AM
smq42
Rennlist Member

@bweSteve: double click on the fob doesn't do anything different

@Bxstr: I replaced the battery after boosting it. I think you are correct and it is likely a microswitch fault. Appt w dealer to check PIWIS next week.

Meanwhile, I found this workaround for emergency locking in a post by @Hurdigurdiman:

"Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door locked' microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession."

Thanks all. I'll let you know what the dealer finds.

Last edited by smq42; 05-16-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:28 PM
McFalcon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@smq42 would be interested in hearing what you ultimately find out. I currently have the same issue exactly as you described. I went down the path of replacing the door lock actuators (contains multiple of the “micro switches”) and door handle micro switches (I did both doors) and that seems to resolve this for some; my issue persists which has me thinking more along the lines that this could actually be a programming issue that needs to be resolved.

cheers.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:49 AM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Dealer had a hell of time figuring out the problem: they initially thought it was something to do with the electronic steering column lock - fault #8050. They took the entire dash apart to replace the steering column lock and the locking problem was no better. Then, they took the driver side door apart and replaced the latch and re-coded the door latch control module. That fixed the problem!

They had initially quoted 5h of labour and ended up spending over 20h trying to get this figured out. Thankfully, they honored their original quote. It took a long time but happy to have her back!

module that they replaced - maybe didn't need to be replaced???
The following users liked this post:
jonwb (08-08-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Glad you got it fixed - thanks for the update! Side note, good on that dealer for honoring their original quote. Can't imagine many doing that.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:46 PM
McFalcon
3rd Gear

Wow - glad you got it sorted out! Thanks for the info on the resolution, really appreciate that.

Cheers.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:08 PM
McFalcon
3rd Gear

Wanted to post a follow-up in case it might help someone in the future who may be experiencing a similar issue. I ended up doing a “vehicle handover” with a PIWIS II and it resolved my issue with the door locking and then immediately unlocking. My guess is a dead battery caused some coding issues / discrepancies causing my particular issue.

I’ll miss having to manually unlock my fuel door… And worrying about the fact that my car was always unlocked….

Cheers.

Quick Reply: door locking / unlocking issues