Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coming from a 997 Turbo Manual to a 997 GT2...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 08:49 AM
caxsf
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coming from a 997 Turbo Manual to a 997 GT2...

Hi,

I am very inclined to buy a 997 GT2. I still have a manual 997 Turbo MK 1.5, that I love and the car has some ECU tune, boosting the power to around 550 hp.

I want in certain situations a more hardcore car, with an easier rear stepping out, more pointy, precise, with even more mechanical feel and possibly something that amplified even more the in gear pull I love in the 997 T.

Will I feel a big difference between the 997 T and the 997 GT2?

Did anyone ECU tuned the GT2? what power can we get from it? does having more power and boost after the 3000 rpms ( something the 997T digests as baby food ) will make it difficult to exit curves with it?

Anyone knows what is the big difference between the 997 GT2 and the 997 GT2 RS ( other than a bit less weight and more power ).

I also have an AMG GTR, tuned, nice chassis, fast car, but the way the engine/gearbox works I feel way less pleasure driving it than when driving the manual 997 turbo...The direction is real, I feel the car, the in gear pulls are an event...so..my idea is to say goodbye to the AMG GTR and welcome a more old school mechanical feeling car... Any thoughts?

thanks guys

Old 05-02-2022, 11:38 AM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

I had a 2011 Turbo 6-speed and moved to a 2008 GT2. Not sure if the recent GT2 market prices make it that much different to justify the move. However, the GT2 is more than the sum of its parts and I am very happy with my decision.

The GT2 feels a lot more lightweight, tail-happy, and mechanical. The steering, shifting, suspension - all just feels tighter and more precise. All the things you seem to be after. The boost seems to come on more aggressively, but that may just be the little extra power and Mezger vs DFI I was used to. Also, I've read the 997.2 AWD system makes the car feel more RWD bias, but I've never driven a 997.1 Turbo to compare the AWD systems. The Turbo was "point and shoot" - just automatic and gripped wherever you wanted. I had a blast driving it, but it spoiled me and made me realize it's more of a grand touring sports car compared to the GT2. The GT2 takes a lot more skill and respect, especially in the curves/corners. Even at high speed straights, I feel the rear end dancing a little bit. It's teaching me to be a better technical driver and I look forward to each drive!

I posted a similar thread that may have some insight for you: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...a-997-gt2.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Metaphysician:
caxsf (05-02-2022), lbwsandiego (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 03:58 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
I had a 2011 Turbo 6-speed and moved to a 2008 GT2. Not sure if the recent GT2 market prices make it that much different to justify the move. However, the GT2 is more than the sum of its parts and I am very happy with my decision.

The GT2 feels a lot more lightweight, tail-happy, and mechanical. The steering, shifting, suspension - all just feels tighter and more precise. All the things you seem to be after. The boost seems to come on more aggressively, but that may just be the little extra power and Mezger vs DFI I was used to. Also, I've read the 997.2 AWD system makes the car feel more RWD bias, but I've never driven a 997.1 Turbo to compare the AWD systems. The Turbo was "point and shoot" - just automatic and gripped wherever you wanted. I had a blast driving it, but it spoiled me and made me realize it's more of a grand touring sports car compared to the GT2. The GT2 takes a lot more skill and respect, especially in the curves/corners. Even at high speed straights, I feel the rear end dancing a little bit. It's teaching me to be a better technical driver and I look forward to each drive!

I posted a similar thread that may have some insight for you: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...a-997-gt2.html
I suggest you get your suspension and geometry checked out, the 997GT2 got the same suspension set up as the then new GT3RS and one of the main features was the massively improved straight line stability, I once drove on an autobahn above 130mph for about 100 miles accelerating up to the 180s regularly and maxing out at 200 GPS (wouldn't quite manage the quoted top speed in standard form) the car was incredibly stable felt absolutely solid
The following users liked this post:
Igooz (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 04:03 PM
caxsf
Track Day

Any of you guys know what is the best ecu tune upgrade for the 9997 GT2? Who does it better?

Most tuners tend to pile up a lot of torque in the low end with relatively poor gains in the top range. For a car like the GT2, I think it is quite important to keep the torque reasonable, because it is a rear traction car that needs to be pushed hard in any gear, and not only function from 4th gear onward, So a more flat torque curve would be better.

What needs to be done to get closer to what the GT2 RS has in terms of power and torque?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:53 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

@Metaphysician Did you bring your white GT2 to the Carlisle Swap meet last weekend? ... If so, I voted for your car. D-5 if my memory serves me. Sweet ride (my wife took a nice fan-boy picture of me with your car, Lol)

sorry to OP for the tangent
Old 05-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
@Metaphysician Did you bring your white GT2 to the Carlisle Swap meet last weekend? ... If so, I voted for your car. D-5 if my memory serves me. Sweet ride (my wife took a nice fan-boy picture of me with your car, Lol)

sorry to OP for the tangent
Yes - that was mine! Thanks for your vote. It helped me get 1st place in the 996/997/991 class! Made my day!
bweSteve (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I suggest you get your suspension and geometry checked out, the 997GT2 got the same suspension set up as the then new GT3RS and one of the main features was the massively improved straight line stability, I once drove on an autobahn above 130mph for about 100 miles accelerating up to the 180s regularly and maxing out at 200 GPS (wouldn't quite manage the quoted top speed in standard form) the car was incredibly stable felt absolutely solid
100miles at above 130mph = one full tank of fuel?
I used to empty a tank in under 100miles, I really miss Germany at 3AM!

Last edited by Igooz; 05-02-2022 at 09:05 PM.
RAudi Driver (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:14 PM
TiAgMC
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through the same debate going from turbo to gt2, 8 seconds into the drive of my gt2 all doubt left my mind. Do it, you'll be glad you did. I put shark werks exhaust and tune on it and it's basically perfect
caxsf (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:06 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
100miles at above 130mph = one full tank of fuel?
I used to empty a tank in under 100miles, I really miss Germany at 3AM!
I remembered I had a Performance Box trace of the Autobahn run in question, my over 130mph claim is somewhat exaggerated but it was for 100 miles without a fuel stop

Igooz (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:13 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caxsf
Any of you guys know what is the best ecu tune upgrade for the 9997 GT2? Who does it better?

Most tuners tend to pile up a lot of torque in the low end with relatively poor gains in the top range. For a car like the GT2, I think it is quite important to keep the torque reasonable, because it is a rear traction car that needs to be pushed hard in any gear, and not only function from 4th gear onward, So a more flat torque curve would be better.

What needs to be done to get closer to what the GT2 RS has in terms of power and torque?

Thanks.
The biggest difference on the RS engine is the intercoolers, if you put these on a GT2 together with 200 cell HJS cats and a good tune you can have a solid 600/630hp with 800NM (which is very manageable in a 997GT2) and by keeping the standard turbos the character of the car is like stock but with more oomph and nicer audio.

Link here to kit Cargraphic used to sell.

https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...w-600ps-811nm/
caxsf (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:46 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

For sure keep the stock GT2 turbos, or at least don’t trade them in as a core to a larger turbo upgrade. They are their own unique part # and you will realistically never be able to re-acquire them to put the car back to stock in the future if you wanted to. Agree with what others have said here. Perfect combination is a reputable tune and reversible bolt-ons (larger IC’s, exhaust, and sport cats). Heaven.
caxsf (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 08:18 AM
caxsf
Track Day

Any suggestions regarding the Larger IC's?

Also, I am kind of a bit afraid that in the end with the upgrade of the GT2 I will still like more the AMG GTR I have and that I am going to sell. I am a bit divided, but the experience with the in gear pull of my 997 turbo with tune and of the manual gearbox, somehow makes me feel that the GT2 in terms of pure raw driving experience will be better.

The AMG GTR with a tune has a wonderful chassis, but the direction is very artificial and heavy, the rear wheel steering gives it a funny non linear initial turn in behavior that I don't like, the engine pull is very strong and lag is very small, but there is something about the character of the car during in gear pulls that somehow makes me feel a bit disconnected...Also, the engine sound is very annoying...It feels exaggerated and artificial..as if the sound is not proportional to the power it is producing...Even in high gears it seems there is a "system" between me and the road, trying to make things soft and controllable. On the other hand the 997 Turbo..feels raw and connected to the road..to every event..I am wondering how will my GT2 experience...

As a side note, contrary to all these modern cars, I find the Giulia QF, a wonderfully built car. Surprisingly good..

Old 05-05-2022, 11:57 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 255 Posts

Also, I am kind of a bit afraid that in the end with the upgrade of the GT2 I will still like more the AMG GTR I have and that I am going to sell. I am a bit divided, but the experience with the in gear pull of my 997 turbo with tune and of the manual gearbox, somehow makes me feel that the GT2 in terms of pure raw driving experience will be better.

The AMG GTR with a tune has a wonderful chassis, but the direction is very artificial and heavy, the rear wheel steering gives it a funny non linear initial turn in behavior that I don't like, the engine pull is very strong and lag is very small, but there is something about the character of the car during in gear pulls that somehow makes me feel a bit disconnected...Also, the engine sound is very annoying...It feels exaggerated and artificial..as if the sound is not proportional to the power it is producing...Even in high gears it seems there is a "system" between me and the road, trying to make things soft and controllable. On the other hand the 997 Turbo..feels raw and connected to the road..to every event..I am wondering how will my GT2 experience...
Bolded statements above that if you find those as biggest gripes in your AMG GTR, you will have none of that in the GT2. Steering is very light, precise, and tons of feedback. On shifts, the car does nothing to make you feel any better of a driver than you actually are.

Last edited by atlrvr; 05-05-2022 at 12:31 PM.
caxsf (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:24 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Any suggestions regarding the Larger IC's?

As a side note, contrary to all these modern cars, I find the Giulia QF, a wonderfully built car. Surprisingly good..
You can always buy another AMG, but GT two are not trading as frequently as they were even five years ago, I think I may have been bought and tucked away by collectors., so if you have the opportunity to get one, just get one, you will not be sorry.
mchrono (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:37 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Any suggestions regarding the Larger IC's?.
a lot of the earlier discussion on this topic centered around the GT2RS ICs, which are a bit better than stock .1 GT2 units, which are (i believe) the same part # as the 997TT. Those ICs will become your weak link with a tune and exhaust.

Today, there are better choices than the GT2RS ICs. Here is what im running now on my GT2:

https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/pors...tercooler.html

I actually did some before and after on the road logging (Durameteric) watching intake air temp and ignition timing retard, and these do make a noticeable difference evident even with my basic testing.

Quick Reply: Coming from a 997 Turbo Manual to a 997 GT2...