Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bleeder screw cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 02:56 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
assuming the word "Resolution" at the beginning of your post means that new bleeder screws (w/ loctite) fixed the problem
Correct Steve. Edited my posts. After I wrote that, I was wondering if the "Resolution" was going to be unclear on whether it was actually corrected or if that's just what the dealer did. The problem is actually fixed and I've had a chance to put some miles on the car. That is on top of the fact that prior it didn't even need to be driven for there to be the small leak.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:26 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Thanks for this whole thread Bxstr. We all like to keep an eye on things, and this is a good reminder that even something as mundane as the threads on a bleeder screw can fail.

It also prompted me (back when you first created this thread) to pop the rubber caps off mine. I was actually surprised how dirty they were under there (especially since my car took 299 points out of 300 at last years National Concours). I had never actually even thought to pop them off & clean around the tip since they just looked so clean around the perimeter of the screw,... & they are PCCB's, which inherently stay so clean to begin with.

I also just DIY'd a full fluid drain & replace for my entire braking system, the clutch master & slave cylinders, as well as the ABS system (this was in my 1991 911). Using a vacuum bleeder system is such a clean way to do the job. Not a drop was spilled. The bleeder screws cracked free & then re-tightened with no problems,... but I'll keep an eye on any leaks from the threads there too.

Thanks again
Old 05-16-2022, 07:07 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Resolution (problem has been corrected as I've driven the car 100+ miles without leaks and prior it was leaking even when the system was not under pressure): dealer installed four new bleeder screws (both outboard and inboard) with dust caps on both rear calipers along with Loctite 574 sealing compound, based on the part number. The invoice stated Loctite 545, which I think was a typo.

Bleeder screws: 99735291900
Dust caps: 93035192701
Loctite: 00004330518

If you're wondering why thread sealing compound is needed, that was a question I did not ask. The master tech, who I've known for more than 10 years, has been working on Porsche's for 30+ years and is someone that I greatly trust. He also tracks his own sports car and has extensive experience on pretty much any Porsche. If he says to do something, I'm most likely going to listen to it. I went in letting them know that I replaced calipers in the past on this car and would be happy to do so again, even though it would be expensive. I also do not think that it is a feasible plan to just continue putting calipers on this car every couple of years or having to start swapping multiple sets of calipers onto this car.
Glad you were able to get it sorted. I've never heard of sealant on bleeder screws, that's new to me. "Loctite" often raises eyebrows since generally synonymous with red/blue threadlocker, but they make tons of products.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Thanks for this whole thread Bxstr. We all like to keep an eye on things, and this is a good reminder that even something as mundane as the threads on a bleeder screw can fail.

It also prompted me (back when you first created this thread) to pop the rubber caps off mine. I was actually surprised how dirty they were under there (especially since my car took 299 points out of 300 at last years National Concours). I had never actually even thought to pop them off & clean around the tip since they just looked so clean around the perimeter of the screw,... & they are PCCB's, which inherently stay so clean to begin with.

I also just DIY'd a full fluid drain & replace for my entire braking system, the clutch master & slave cylinders, as well as the ABS system (this was in my 1991 911). Using a vacuum bleeder system is such a clean way to do the job. Not a drop was spilled. The bleeder screws cracked free & then re-tightened with no problems,... but I'll keep an eye on any leaks from the threads there too.

Thanks again
I had my friend who has a 997.1 Turbo with PCCB’s check his and they were dry. I do remember the new calipers I purchased had a 2018 or 2019 build date on them, so it looks like Porsche was making batches of them still at some point. Could have been that my original set were faulty due to someone over tightening and then this new set had tolerances that were slightly off during manufacturing. Since it seals with the cone shape at the bottom of the bleeder, even the slightest variation would technically cause fluid to come up around the threads. Again, we’re talking extremely small amounts of fluid. Amounts that any normal person would never notice.

I also believe that this is likely a problem that more cars do exhibit, but most people just don’t go to the lengths to notice these small issues and then for the few people that do notice, just wouldn’t correct them. There’s a long list of things I’ve noticed from over analyzing 997’s over the years. This is probably just one of those strange nuances.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
Glad you were able to get it sorted. I've never heard of sealant on bleeder screws, that's new to me. "Loctite" often raises eyebrows since generally synonymous with red/blue threadlocker, but they make tons of products.
Agreed and if it wasn’t their master tech that suggested it to me, I probably wouldn’t have been as interested in doing it and instead would have ordered two new rear calipers. But when someone has a certain level of experience, I try to put faith in their recommendations and this is one of those cases since I truly do trust him. All I do is research information online and try and figure out what sounds reasonable or not, whereas he has the actual day to day expertise.

His thought was that the thread sealant would be a good second layer of protection and that the bleeders alone may have fixed the problem. My thought was with the caliper being aluminum and the bleeder being steel (I think), that the caliper would be the likely faulty part, since those threads would be more likely to be damaged being the softer metal. Either way, a thread sealant and not a thread locker seems fine for this application and I’m glad there’s no more leaks. We’ll see what happens during the next brake bleed and whether or not there needs to be a new application of sealant. I’m thinking not, but I’ll likely have him do the brake bleed so that he can check for any leaks after while it’s there.

Quick Reply: Bleeder screw cap