Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 04:18 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by fayraree
amazing sound! Did the 991.2 in the video also have your valved side muffler delete?
Glad you all enjoyed it! It does indeed have our Valved side muffler bypass pipes and our Rennsport center!

Unrelated but Interestingly enough, this particular GT3RS was spec'd from the factory with a Radio Delete

The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 06:17 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks for posting. For those who are curious, and just to add another data point regarding the stock center muffler with side deletes, I'll add my two cents regarding my very recent experience experimenting with different set ups. When I got my 996gt3 I quickly converted to the center exit 997 set up using stock 997 gt3 header/cats, fabspeed (dual exit) bypass/link pipes that omit the side mufflers (since the 997 gt3 valved side muffler wouldn't work in my 996 anyway), and a stock center section (steel). I loved this configuration, although a bit of drone with the bypass pipes at certain rpms.

Then I stumbled upon a used set of fabspeed mini-maxflo rear mufflers and swapped the stock center muffler for that. The volume was higher indeed, and it seemed to pick up some power up top in the rpm range, but it seemed (per the butt dyno only), that I lost a bit of torque on my otherwise stock-ish 996 gt3 3.6l motor. So I put the stock center section back in. Fast forward a couple years and I'm having my builder increase displacement to 3.9l. He suggests I use the fabspeed min maxflo mufflers I had on the shelf instead of the stock center muffler, convinced it would make more power. I get the car back and I'm super happy, but its pretty raucous and loud and I kind of missed the more sedate sound with the stock center section. So a few months ago I took out the mini-maxflo center mufflers and put the stock center back in (all still on stock headers and fabspeed bypass pipes). Whoa. The preceived reduction in power and torque was apparent immediately. In other words, with my new 3.9l motor the stock center muffler was definitely robbing power, and it was not subtle. So the next day I put the fabspeed min-maxflo mufflers back on and the power was restored. So about a week ago I think to myself "gee, could it be that it was just in my head or that I didn't give the computer enough time to adjust...surely there is not that big of a difference between the stock center section (which seems well-designed), and the fabspeed mini maxflo's." So last weekend, just to make sure, I swapped back in the stock center, disconnected the battery, and drove it around for about a week. SAME RESULT! definitely missing torque and power with the stock center section so last night I put the fabspeed back in (again), and I'm going to leave it there!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience swapping back and forth on my 3.9. And to clarify, I have the old version of the mini-maxflo mufflers without the connecting pipe between the two sides, so I'm wondering if the new version might even be better with a little less drone. Also, no affiliation with fabspeed at all...I've actually never purchased anything form them, but I've had many of their products on my cars (from 996 tt to 997 gt3 to two 996 gt3's), which I have always bought second-hand (because I'm cheap and like to switch up exhaust set ups and I'm kind of picky when it comes to achieving the right sound, which means buying new is often an expensive gamble for me). Bottom line is that in my experience their stuff just always seems to work, and I've never had a failure of any kind, so yes, I'm a fan of and trust their stuff.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 01-18-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: A look inside the OEM GT3 Exhaust?