Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 Gas Door latch locks itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 02:32 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts
Default 997.2 Gas Door latch locks itself

Thought I would toss this one out there. I'm finding strange behavior with the gas door on my 2010 GT3....

I am finding this sporadically... I push the fuel door on the passenger front fender, and find that it has locked itself.
I then have to open the pass door, reach into the upper fender cavity & pull the plastic loop to unlock the gas door.

I have not yet gone thru a set of tests to determine EXACTLY when this is happening, but that will be my next steps. In other words, is it happening ONLY after I have locked the car (which I did once last weekend while attending a PCA social breakfast event),... or does it also happen even if I have not locked the car in many days.

Just thought I would see if anyone else has experienced such odd behavior from the gas trap door.
TIA
Old 03-08-2022, 04:18 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

I thought it was supposed to lock, when the car was locked?
Old 03-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the latch/actuator shaft gets "sticky" over time, intermittent locking. What happened to me is that I couldn't open the Gas Door, because it was locked and wouldn't unlock. Basically there is a shaft/actuator (solenoid) that gets actuated and interfaces with a plastic component 7 (plastic part with a hole, which the shaft locks into) on the Door it self. I unclipped this plastic component from gas door. Now the gas door can't be locked. This works for me. Someone could conceivably open the gas door, steal your cap or siphon gas, non of which are likely.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Belinko. I will compare & investigate in the next day or so.

A siphon hose cannot reach down to the tank anyway, since there is a metal screen mesh inside the filler, just a few inches below the gas fill neck.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
I thought it was supposed to lock, when the car was locked?
not sure about that either, but its a easy test that's for sure
Old 03-15-2022, 06:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I've run a bunch of tests,... and I am now thinking I simply need a new battery for the car. The Battery is almost 4 yrs old, and was new from Porsche dealership in summer 2018.

Btw, before you ask me,.... no, I do not leave the car locked in my garage (rather I always have the garage locked with garage building security system on).
(..... therefore the system does not have to do the 7-day standby function as described on page 20 of our owners manual)
and YES I always have my battery on a trickle charger. I ALWAYS put the car on my CTEC charger when the car is sitting in my garage.

To answer the question posed above ... Yes, the gas door locks when locking the car. But it does not unlock, after unlocking the car. (the doors unlock, but the gas door remains locked).

Also,... for some strange reason, the car requires me to push the FOB-lock-button TWICE, in order to lock the car. Pressing it only once (I can hear clunks from mechanisms) does not lock the car for me.
Page 19 tells us that we only have to push it once to lock.

I also went thru the key-fob re-synchronization process as outlined on page 20 of our owners manual. I heard nothing, and the dash told me nothing when I completed the process (or while I was IN process).

Also, I cannot get the car to chirp to me. ever. not even in the more detailed TESTS that I executed below, could I get the car to chirp, OR could I ever force the alarm to sound.

Other tests it failed:

RE-ARM ITSELF Test Scenario: When I have the car locked, and push the FOB-frunk-unlock-button & open JUST the frunk (based on the description located on page 19 of our owners manual, BOTH car doors are ALSO suppose to unlock) ... & then proceed to close the frunk (without ever having opened any car doors), ... the car is supposed to re-lock itself after 15 seconds. It does not relock itself.

ALARM SYSTEM Test Scenario: Lock the car, then unlock with the key in the door handle (turning to the left unlocks JUST the drivers door,... turning to the right unlocks both doors),.. then proceed to open the driver door,... and wait. The alarm system never activates. It should activate (per page 26 of our owners manual).

Also, please know that I did not violate the rule stated on page 208 of our owners manual,... which states that if you operate the central locking system more than 10 times within a one minute period, further operation is blocked for the next 30 seconds.

Also,... YES, I have had my battery out. In fact I have had it out many times over the past 3+ years. No where on any pages of our owners manual does it say we need to go thru some sort of re-synchronization with our cars, should we decide to take-out / put-in our batteries.

This is the first time I am noticing odd behavior,... hence my thinking that it is the battery. But 3.5 yrs should not kill my MOLL Porsche battery. If it is a time based thing,... then I may switch to a different manufacturer.

thoughts?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Gas Door latch locks itself