Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Read this if you are running the forged AL LCAs with the 'replaceable' monoball.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 05:45 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Read this if you are running the forged AL LCAs with the 'replaceable' monoball.

Hi All,

Bottom line is that they are somewhat adjustable!

Second bottom line: The parts are not available:
From the factory to Hirschmann:

"Good morning,

1. This is an integrated bearing that cannot be replaced. It is assembled with special equipment directly into the arm.

2. It is a Porsche part – we are only allowed to sell the complete arm to Porsche as a spare part."

If you have these in your car, you may be interested in the following, and apologies to whomever I shamelessly stole this picture!

As I was busy filling my car with newly minted $100 bills - cuz that is what you do with a Porsche track car :-) and the bigger denomination bills are out of circulation, I noticed that one of my front LCS trunnion pins had was pretty loose. Now this was good news as it gave me yet another opportunity to feed my car with yet more $$$!

I spent some time looking at this and (incorrectly) assumed that there was a captured bearing with a hole for the trunnion and a recess for the trunnion screw, and it was held in place under the back side of the LCA with the retaining ring with 8 holes.

So, I built this: (NOTE: construction details below)

and this is how it is used

After some liberal application of heat - pretty sure that Loctite was used, I used my impact gun, the contraption above, and I made sure I was pushing down to ensure that the tool was well seated.

The ring came off, and this is what I found:

THe top half of the bearing retainer, a formed flexible strip of low friction material - perhaps Teflon.

Note half of the bearing race in the bottom side recess of the LCA.

And the top side:

The 'good' news is that, all I really needed to give my LCA a new lease on life, was to (carefully) torque the retaining ring down a bit more, this took up some of the slop - not much but enough.

Construction specifics:
  • A used 1 3/16 socket - something big enough to cover the retaining ring without really overlapping the AL section
  • Some drill rod - I had some 0.094" diameter, and this fit well into the holes
  • Put the socket into a mill, indicate the center, and drill a bolt-hole pattern with 8 holes and a radius of 1.406" - the hole center of the retaining ring.
  • Cut the drill rod into small sections, and insert them into the holes you made.
  • I ground down the pins until the socket sat flush on the retaining ring, and added a dab of blue Loctite
Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 10-26-2021 at 04:50 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by rbahr:
carbondan (10-17-2021), cbracerx (10-19-2021), dukmon (10-18-2021), Fisher (10-18-2021), martt1ski (10-21-2021), Max-D (10-21-2021), sp0da (10-17-2021), TheDeckMan (10-18-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 580 Posts

beautiful DIY "spanner".
Old 10-18-2021, 06:26 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks! One of the really great things about cheaper tools is that they can be used/modified for lots of things, and they are pretty cheap at flea markets

The work well in my press...

Ray
Old 10-19-2021, 01:49 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
As I was busy filling my car with newly minted $100 bills - cuz that is what you do with a Porsche track car :-) and the bigger denomination bills are out of circulation, I noticed that one of my front LCS trunnion pins had was pretty loose. Now this was good news as it gave me yet another opportunity to feed my car with yet more $$$!
Haha too true!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:25 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Great info and nice work!

Quick Reply: Read this if you are running the forged AL LCAs with the 'replaceable' monoball.