Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS vs Mclaren 600LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 09:31 AM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS vs Mclaren 600LT

Wanted to get the opinion of fellow gt3 owners that have had experience with the 600lt. I currently have a 997.2 gt3 rs but am debating whether to trade it in for the mclaren 600lt. It would be 95 percent road use on the weekend and 5 percent track. I really like the 600lt for it’s engineering approach and how it is a drivers super car (carbon tub, double wishbone, weight saving, centre exhaust, aero and etc). I don’t really care for outright speed. I also have 987.2 spyder, integra type r and a rather done up Honda S2000 that I use on the track extensively as well as a dedicated race car. I am a bit hesitant because of how special the 997.2 gt3 rs. I don’t find myself driving the rs as much as I would like. When the time is right the car feels spectacular and is a great compliment to my Boxster spyder which feels the opposite but special in the sense that it is more relaxed drive and the confidence it inspires on the road. I guess the best answer would be to have both but I do have some space constraints, don’t like the mind share the car take up and have too many cars as is.

Last edited by porschejonno; 09-04-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

I've not driven 600lt on street but got to demo one on track for a day. I loved it. I was surprised how connected the steering and suspension were for such a modern car. Coming from a lot of Gt3/rs, steering and suspension felt more 997-like than 991 (meaning you felt more). It was a surprise given the car LOOKS like a space ship. It's the only Mac I've ever driven hard on track. I had a blast and it seriously tempted me to own some kind of LT at some point.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by porschejonno
Wanted to get the opinion of fellow gt3 owners that have had experience with the 600lt. I currently have a 997.2 gt3 rs but am debating whether to trade it in for the mclaren 600lt. It would be 95 percent road use on the weekend and 5 percent track. I really like the 600lt for it’s engineering approach and how it is a drivers super car (carbon tub, double wishbone, weight saving, centre exhaust, aero and etc). I don’t really care for outright speed. I also have 987.2 spyder, integra type r and a rather done up Honda S2000 that I use on the track extensively as well as a dedicated race car. I am a bit hesitant because of how special the 997.2 gt3 rs. I don’t find myself driving the rs as much as I would like. When the time is right the car feels spectacular and is a great compliment to my Boxster spyder which feels the opposite but special in the sense that it is more relaxed drive and the confidence it inspires on the road. I guess the best answer would be to have both but I do have some space constraints, don’t like the mind share the car take up and have too many cars as is.
I would drive one. I love the 600LT but it’s worlds different from the 997RS in almost every conceivable way except they both have 4 wheels.

I would not own a Mac however based on resale, expensive out of warranty issues and hit and miss build quality not to mention dealer network limitations.

If none of the forgoing scare you then go for it. Beautiful cars and exciting to drive and faster for sure.

I also own a 987 Spyder and it’s a wonderful car but a different drive than the RS. Lighter feeling, less raw, less aggressive, less edgy and less angry is the best way to describe it. More playful feeling.

imho the Porsche is the better long term car to own however.

Last edited by Waxer; 09-04-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:34 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 44 Posts

I owned both the 600LT and 997.2 RS at the same time. I think they are very different cars, you gotta have both IMO, it is the perfect combo for performance cars

997 RS will still be more engaging than the 600LT due to its age, being manual and the NA motor, but the 600LT is the most engaging car in the current generation

I am a die hard Porsche fan and the 997 was the best performance to analog mix they offer, so is the 600LT in the McLaren world

Track: 600LT is hands down way faster on track, but running cost is way higher
Street: 600LT will split flames, shift gears like a 430 Scuderia, do rolling burnouts, and it has an amazing mid engine balance but also focused like a Porsche. 997RS screams like a lemans racer, you get rewarded when you work with the car, much more mods you can upgrade, and sounds better

If I have to pick for you, switch to the 600LT as you have other Porsches in the lineup, or just upgrade your Spyder to the 997.1 GT3 which gives you 75% of the RS

PS. Electrical glitches 100% will happen and things will eventually go bad on the 600LT, so you have to expect it, always extend your warranty

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS vs Mclaren 600LT