Everything you need to know to install PCCB brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Everything you need to know to install PCCB brake pads

Hey all,

I no longer frequent the forums lest it is I who is in trouble and needs help. And when that happens I can always rely on the community here to get me through in a pinch. I have only logged build threads but once and find it too time consuming and not serving of my need for creativity and entertainment. So I've created a YouTube channel in which I will satisfy many of these needs utilizing a line of many different cars and trucks that all (usually) fit in my garage. I will share a number of things with you guys that I hope you find useful from a technical perspective but more so entertaining. I trust and respect the far majority of you so if you have feedback, good or bad, I welcome it. I hope you enjoy it.

Sincerely,
Arthur J. Marek

PS a quick pick of my girl...

The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (08-13-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:38 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Hi Arthur, I have feedback on the brakes. Great video, BTW, the quality is on point, lighting and all.

1, You should be using those caliper rods when you remove the calipers and separate them from the rotors. They are a must have for any Porsche DIY'er.

https://porsche.snapon.com/special-t...temid=16580042

2. The wheel guide pins should be in holes that are right next to each other. Do not skip a hub hole as it's much easier to line up the second wheel hole to the pin when they are right next to each other.

I can't knock anything else. The videos are awesome.
The following 3 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
Robocop305 (03-11-2024), Steve Theodore (08-13-2021), The Mick (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Lightbulb

I really respect and appreciate your time to comment and provide some feedback.

I have a question for you for clarification...

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
1, You should be using those caliper rods when you remove the calipers and separate them from the rotors. They are a must have for any Porsche DIY'er.

https://porsche.snapon.com/special-t...temid=16580042

Excuse my ignorance, but what purpose do these rods serve (e.g. to make sure the calipers and pads come off linearly to avoid damaging the rotors,...)??

Of all the things that scare my about working on these fragile brake rotors, pulling the calipers off was not one of them. Putting them back on took a gentle hand, but that didn't bother me.

2. The wheel guide pins should be in holes that are right next to each other. Do not skip a hub hole as it's much easier to line up the second wheel hole to the pin when they are right next to each other.

My intent was to best balance the wheel while pulling it off, but this makes absolute sense putting it back on in terms of aligning the bolt holes on the wheel with the pins -- the closer they are together the easier they will be to locate.
Robocop305 (03-11-2024)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
I really respect and appreciate your time to comment and provide some feedback.

I have a question for you for clarification...

Excuse my ignorance, but what purpose do these rods serve (e.g. to make sure the calipers and pads come off linearly to avoid damaging the rotors,...)??

Of all the things that scare my about working on these fragile brake rotors, pulling the calipers off was not one of them. Putting them back on took a gentle hand, but that didn't bother me.
The process is to remove one caliper bolt and screw in a rod, then do the same for the other bolt. At this point you can just slide the caliper off the rotor going straight up and then the caliper will lock in a service position. Never thought about it protecting the rotor, for me it was protecting the caliper from getting banged around. However, after watching your video with your cardboard rotor cap, I though the pins would prevent the caliper from swinging down and into the rotor.

My intent was to best balance the wheel while pulling it off, but this makes absolute sense putting it back on in terms of aligning the bolt holes on the wheel with the pins -- the closer they are together the easier they will be to locate.
I did that also and had a hard time aligning the wheel holes to the guide pins. I then placed the pins in neighboring holes and it made getting the wheel on much easier.

Artwerks (08-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

if you're gonna pull the caliper, just take the rotor off and set it aside
Old 08-16-2021, 04:46 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

I did that also and had a hard time aligning the wheel holes to the guide pins. I then placed the pins in neighboring holes and it made getting the wheel on much easier.
I bought two sets (4 total)...

Old 08-16-2021, 05:22 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Great video. I love your Champion wheels. I had the same ones on my 997TT. Any chance you recently bought them? Maybe my old set.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
I bought two sets (4 total)...

i have four also, but ONE per wheels works for me.

ps, OP, thanks for a thread about something other than valuation.........

Last edited by cgfen; 08-16-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Artwerks (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:27 PM
jonwb
Pro

Originally Posted by cgfen
i have four also, but ONE per wheels works for me.
You're a braver man than me! I'm kind of a nervous wreck when I pull my wheels off. It's a PCCB thing.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:48 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Great video. I love your Champion wheels. I had the same ones on my 997TT. Any chance you recently bought them? Maybe my old set.
Funny story: About two years ago I was browsing Craigslist one night just out of boredom and came upon these wheels. They were advertised for $500 and I thought, "Holy ****, this is the deal of the century... if they're real". I went to check them out and they guy selling them had purchased his 997 4S from a Denver Bronco and had since taken the wheels off and put the stock springs on, because... God only knows. But he didn't like the wheels. I took them off his hands for $400!!!
Old 08-17-2021, 12:51 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonwb
You're a braver man than me! I'm kind of a nervous wreck when I pull my wheels off. It's a PCCB thing.
Ha! Funny. I guess it is a "PCCB thing", but I am pretty brave. Sometimes too much so, to my chagrin. But hopefully that makes my YouTube content worth watching

BTW, I'm from Milwaukee. Born and raised. Went to UW-Milwuakee, graduated in 2002 BSEE.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:53 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Funny story: About two years ago I was browsing Craigslist one night just out of boredom and came upon these wheels. They were advertised for $500 and I thought, "Holy ****, this is the deal of the century... if they're real". I went to check them out and they guy selling them had purchased his 997 4S from a Denver Bronco and had since taken the wheels off and put the stock springs on, because... God only knows. But he didn't like the wheels. I took them off his hands for $400!!!
Well played my friend, I believe they were about $8k new.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:00 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Well played my friend, I believe they were about $8k new.
That's right! They aren't actually my first choice of wheel, but who can pass up an $8k set of wheels for $400????
Old 08-17-2021, 10:49 PM
jonwb
Pro

Ha! Funny. I guess it is a "PCCB thing", but I am pretty brave. Sometimes too much so, to my chagrin. But hopefully that makes my YouTube content worth watching

BTW, I'm from Milwaukee. Born and raised. Went to UW-Milwuakee, graduated in 2002 BSEE.
Small world... I went to MSOE (BSME) graduated well before you. Milwaukee is a nice area. Winters I don't love tho.

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know to install PCCB brake pads