Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Valvetronic Exhaust Valve Controller question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 03:05 PM
ky_gt3
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
When you go start the car, does the valvetronic unit remain in the setting it was at when it was shut off or default to another setting?
I have the valvetronic unit in my car and it does not. It won't maintain the vacuum pressure and it'll open the valves 5-10mins after shutting off the car. By default the car will always start with the valves open however with the key in the ignition you can close the valves before starting up the car so it's quiet.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:03 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_gt3
I have the valvetronic unit in my car and it does not. It won't maintain the vacuum pressure and it'll open the valves 5-10mins after shutting off the car. By default the car will always start with the valves open however with the key in the ignition you can close the valves before starting up the car so it's quiet.
So in theory, with the Valvetronic, if you set the exhaust to loud (valves open) it will stay loud unless you change it to quiet. The reverse in not the case as the valves (which are spring loaded open" will open when the engine is shut off and the vacuum bleeds down. I wonder how the carnewal set up keeps the valves closed on start up then... Hmmm..
Old 11-23-2021, 04:30 PM
ky_gt3
Instructor

So in theory, with the Valvetronic, if you set the exhaust to loud (valves open) it will stay loud unless you change it to quiet. The reverse in not the case as the valves (which are spring loaded open" will open when the engine is shut off and the vacuum bleeds down. I wonder how the carnewal set up keeps the valves closed on start up then... Hmmm..
That's correct. The valvetronic has the same functionality as stock in that after the engine is shut off the solenoid releases the vacuum pressure after a few mins and the valves open. I'm not sure but I suspect the black box that comes with the Carnewal solution either tells the solenoids to not release vacuum or when you put the key in the ignition it'll remember the last setting and close the valves before starting the car.

Personally I didn't want to have to find a home to mount the black box from the Carnewal setup. The valvetronic setup is pretty tidy and the only downside is I have to press the valve close button before starting up the car if I want a quiet startup.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:03 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

The Carnewal works the exact same way then. After you shut the car down (regardless of how you left it) the valves will open several minutes later after the vacuum bleeds down.

ALSO, the Carnewal is also the same such that if you leave the valves closed when you shut it down,... the next time you start it back up, the valves will close upon turning the key forward. I usually pause a second too, so that I can hear the valves close, before I actually turn the starter to start it up. At that point, the closing of cold valves before you start is an electronic function. Vacuum has no play in that functionality.

So it looks like both systems operate the exact same way.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:38 PM
ky_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
The Carnewal works the exact same way then. After you shut the car down (regardless of how you left it) the valves will open several minutes later after the vacuum bleeds down.

ALSO, the Carnewal is also the same such that if you leave the valves closed when you shut it down,... the next time you start it back up, the valves will close upon turning the key forward. I usually pause a second too, so that I can hear the valves close, before I actually turn the starter to start it up. At that point, the closing of cold valves before you start is an electronic function. Vacuum has no play in that functionality.

So it looks like both systems operate the exact same way.
Ah thanks that's good to know, I was curious how the Carnewal worked. So they really do operate the same, it's just the Carnewal has the memory feature and slightly larger packaging
Old 11-23-2021, 11:37 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_gt3
..... or when you put the key in the ignition it'll remember the last setting and close the valves before starting the car.
yes, this part of your statement is true ^^^

The converse is also true, in that if you leave the valves open when you shut the car off, the next time you fire up, it not only gives you that burst of open-valve sound,.. it stays that way (even if the engine is warm),... which is a nice option at C&C or your favorite friends house who wants to hear a few neutral revs in his driveway.

for some reason I thought Valvetronics had the same memory. Thanks for clearing that up too.

Last edited by bweSteve; 11-23-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:52 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Can the Valvetronic be linked to the built in garage opener on a US spec 2010 7.2GT3?

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-24-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:25 AM
ky_gt3
Instructor

Can the Valvetronic be linked to the built in garage opener on a US spec 2010 7.2GT3?
Yep, I have mine programmed to mine!

Quick Reply: Valvetronic Exhaust Valve Controller question