Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Valvetronic Exhaust Valve Controller question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 12:11 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

But if others were able to install the Valvetronic normally and got it to work, I would think there might have been a recent defective batch(?)

JB
Old 08-22-2021, 04:18 PM
GTTommy
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Solved!

Some delay getting back to this one but here's the answer...

So valvetronic suggested wiring directly to a 12v source, which I did, my vw van, I decided to meter the outputs.

​​​​​Something like 0.03v jumps to ~12.5v when I pressed the remote, so it works then.

Plugged into the exhaust valve and works perfectly, just means I need someone to follow me closely in the van whilst driving the GT3 with a wire between the two, not an ideal solution so next to fault find on the car.

On to the earth, having tried 3 different locations I went back to the original engine mounting. This time fastener removed, cleaned up on both the bolt head and the mounting, then degreased and earth lead torqued into position. Plugged the other end into the the original car feed, guess what nothing!

So now to the final stage, fault finding the live. Again decided to meter the car first, of the two wires that feed the valve there's an orange and a blue and red. The orange gives ~3v and the blue/red gives ~12v.

No surprise if you've read this far then you've just worked it out too...the live feed on the valvetronic was wired to the orange 3v feed not the 12v...

​​​​​Quick pin swap reveals a fully functioning remote exhaust valve...pic below of the correct wiring position.

Red valvetronic wiring goes blue and red oem wiring.

Correct wiring

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
steve porter (08-22-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

From what I'm reading, it sounds like Valvetronic wired their unit incorrectly?

I am considering a valve controller. I have no issue waiting until Carnewal has stock. However, the Valvetronic unit looks cleaner. There is no separate box in the engine bay like the Carnewal has. Any input? I doubt anyone has used both. I prefer an OEM look. Having Homelink functionality doesn't matter to me as I have a .1 without Homelink.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:28 PM
GTTommy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
From what I'm reading, it sounds like Valvetronic wired their unit incorrectly?

I am considering a valve controller. I have no issue waiting until Carnewal has stock. However, the Valvetronic unit looks cleaner. There is no separate box in the engine bay like the Carnewal has. Any input? I doubt anyone has used both. I prefer an OEM look. Having Homelink functionality doesn't matter to me as I have a .1 without Homelink.
Indeed, wired wrong from the factory. I did let them know and got a basic thanks, they didn't take me up on a free GT3 exhaust for solving it for them...

Anyway yes it's a very neat and simple solution I'd have one again all day long just check the wiring to my pics above before you fit it!
Old 11-21-2021, 10:13 AM
mumintrollet
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this on my 997.2 GT3 works fine, ground on the engine mount.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/143796729063...sAAOSwm5xcVDpw

Last edited by mumintrollet; 11-21-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTTommy
Indeed, wired wrong from the factory. I did let them know and got a basic thanks, they didn't take me up on a free GT3 exhaust for solving it for them...

Anyway yes it's a very neat and simple solution I'd have one again all day long just check the wiring to my pics above before you fit it!
Thank you! I think before I order I'll check with Valvetronic to make sure they have this corrected. I'd like to avoid having the separate box that the Carnewal one has. I think the Valvetronic one looks a bit cleaner, even though I'd prefer to have the one from Carnewal and support Gert.

Originally Posted by mumintrollet
I have this on my 997.2 GT3 works fine, ground on the engine mount.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/143796729063...sAAOSwm5xcVDpw
Thank you!
Old 11-21-2021, 04:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

+1 for Gert. I've had mine in use for 3 yrs now with no problems & consistent performance.

easy to install, but yes there is the box to contend with. I found a nice spot, snuggled up nicely deep in the passenger rear haunch. One zip tie to keep it in place with no movement, and all has been fine.

And the PCA National Concours judges have not even said anything about it,

Once I heard about the Valvetronics version, I certainly had the exact same thought on how cleaner it is (assuming the wiring is correct). But now years later I don't really care. If I decided to take it out, it would be 3 min to unplug, snip the box out, and reconnect the oem connector to the factory unit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice
Old 11-21-2021, 04:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
+1 for Gert. I've had mine in use for 3 yrs now with no problems & consistent performance.

easy to install, but yes there is the box to contend with. I found a nice spot, snuggled up nicely deep in the passenger rear haunch. One zip tie to keep it in place with no movement, and all has been fine.

And the PCA National Concours judges have not even said anything about it,

Once I heard about the Valvetronics version, I certainly had the exact same thought on how cleaner it is (assuming the wiring is correct). But now years later I don't really care. If I decided to take it out, it would be 3 min to unplug, snip the box out, and reconnect the oem connector to the factory unit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice
Thanks Steve! Appreciate the response. Was hoping you'd respond and actually was going to send you an email directly. I'll likely wait a bit, car is in storage anyway and figure out which direction I want to go.
The following users liked this post:
bweSteve (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 08:08 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

sure, np.

In addition to the box verses non-black-box aspect of this....

I guess if it were me, in todays times,... choice criteria / consideration would include availability (how soon could I get it), the fact that Valvetronics is in the US (support), and price.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
sure, np.

In addition to the box verses non-black-box aspect of this....

I guess if it were me, in todays times,... choice criteria / consideration would include availability (how soon could I get it), the fact that Valvetronics is in the US (support), and price.
That’s a good point. Luckily, this won’t be installed until April, so I have time. I’m also considering just leaving valves open all of the time as I’d almost always want it loud. But I need to think about it more.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:16 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Try it. My wife & I did. But for the time that we tried the valve open 100% (just disconnected the connector) was before we bought & installed the Sharkwerks center bypass.

So I can say with certainty that with a oem stock exhaust (3 muffler setup), we got a LOT of drone at the 60 mph CRUISE speed with the valve plug pulled (ie always open).

Full acceleration was no problem, but any consistent-throttle 60 mph cruise & it buzzed our ear drums. My wife demanded that I plug it back in.

So that's when I bought the SW bypass, and tried it again, and the drone disappeared. THEN I bought the Carnewal system to give me the choice on when I keep them open 100%.

So now (for 3 yrs) I have enjoyed the convenience of closing them when I re-enter my garage after a day of driving. That way when I start it back up for the next drive, at 6am on a weekend morning, I'm being nice to my neighbors. Once out of my community we both (wife & I) enjoy it open 100% of the time

Last edited by bweSteve; 11-21-2021 at 11:19 PM. Reason: we enjoy it open 100% of the time
Old 11-22-2021, 12:25 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

When you go start the car, does the valvetronic unit remain in the setting it was at when it was shut off or default to another setting?
Old 11-22-2021, 02:31 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

The Carnewal one does

JB
Old 11-22-2021, 12:30 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

BTW, if I recall correctly, the Valvetronic will pair up with the Homelink on the car-The Carnewal does too, but not with the US cars-so my remote sits in the space just ahead of the gear shifter-
Old 11-23-2021, 01:42 PM
GTTommy
Instructor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
When you go start the car, does the valvetronic unit remain in the setting it was at when it was shut off or default to another setting?
Appears too yes!

Quick Reply: Valvetronic Exhaust Valve Controller question