Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone else raising their insurance limits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
New data point for everyone: I raised the agreed value on my 2011 GT3 from $150k to $200k (with Grundy). 10,000 annual mileage limit, must be stored in a garage when not used but otherwise no restrictions. Premium went from $1,667/yr to $2,351/yr. This is for Houston Texas, which isn't the best when it comes to car insurance rates. Others might get cheaper.
I've seen a couple .2 GT3s sitting on the market near me around $159k, which makes me think the real transaction price on these cars is high 130s low 140s.... My concern with being over insured is that I think you run a higher risk of repairing a damaged car that would have otherwise been totaled, and then being stuck with a devalued car. I feel like you could fix a lot of damage for $200k. You might be totally right with you decision, but that was just something that I had been thinking about as I considered my insurance premiums lately.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I've seen a couple .2 GT3s sitting on the market near me around $159k, which makes me think the real transaction price on these cars is high 130s low 140s.... My concern with being over insured is that I think you run a higher risk of repairing a damaged car that would have otherwise been totaled, and then being stuck with a devalued car. I feel like you could fix a lot of damage for $200k. You might be totally right with you decision, but that was just something that I had been thinking about as I considered my insurance premiums lately.
Yea in a normal world that assumption might be right, if you follow the 997.2 sales channel there isn't anything going below $150... not even high mileage examples.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Yea in a normal world that assumption might be right, if you follow the 997.2 sales channel there isn't anything going below $150... not even high mileage examples.
I've been watching one sit locally for weeks at 150.... I just checked again today and it's finally sold. I would love to know if they held firm, or if they made a deal to get it out the door. I saw one about a month ago for ~130k and it seemed like a feeding frenzy. $150 definitely not a deal..... But I'm still also not sure that 200k for insurance value is right, unless its a payout for theft. With these cars they could be $200k next month, or back to $100k... They have definitely had historical ups and downs.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:28 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I don’t see any significant price fluctuations with these cars in the near future. They will only keep going up.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

I'd rather pay the premium and have peace of mind. My car is not a stripper spec, its a desirable color, and it has a ton of OEM+ mods that account for well over $40k in cost. Its not going to be replaceable by a $130k-$150k car.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:18 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

I'm in agreement with Burren. There are so few of my Aqua .2/3 with PCCB, that it would be impossible for me to replace it,... and especially at even a $160k price point.

w/r/t damage,.. I don't even want to go down the rabbit hole of how many different scenarios there are, and "what if's". just too many iteration possibilities on what COULD happen.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:35 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

8600 mile 2011 RS. Bought it at what I though was near top of the market 3 years ago. Never thought I'd have to raise limits as my intention was to drive it a lot and let mileage depreciation keep the current policy more than adequate. Turns out I don't drive it as much as I'd like( work, family, frequent sh*t weather, other cars), so the miles have stayed low while the values have gone absolutely crazy. Emailed my agent at American Modern, asked to raise my valuation to what I thought was 'fair', took 4 photos of the car, and done. Premium went up $224/year. Not terrible and definitely better than trying to find a replacement if some dimwit on a phone plows into my car.

Last edited by bonehead; 12-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:47 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 405 Posts

what did you raise the agreed value to?
Old 12-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Never thought I'd have to raise limits on my agreed value policy when I bought near the top of the market 3 years ago. Figured I'd drive it a lot and mileage depreciation would keep my current policy as more than adequate. But, turns out I don't drive the car as much as I'd like I could never get back into a similar car with my current limits. Emailed my agent at American Modern, took 4 photos and told him what I believe the car is worth. Underwriters agreed and my premium has gone up $224/year to $1812

8600 mile 2011 RS. Bought it at what I though was near top of the market 3 years ago. Never thought I'd have to raise limits as my intention was to drive it a lot and let mileage depreciation keep the current policy more than adequate. Turns out I don't drive it as much as I'd like( work, family, frequent sh*t weather, other cars), so the miles have stayed low while the values have gone absolutely crazy. Emailed my agent at American Modern, asked to raise my valuation to what I thought was 'fair', took 4 photos of the car, and done. Premium went up $224/year. Not terrible and definitely better than trying to find a replacement if some dimwit on a phone plows into my car.
Nice... I'm going to look at my Hagerty today and see what they charge, what did you put your RS at?

Your garage is exactly what I dream for... I have the white RS, now I need to find a compelling moment when my wife will approve a GT...
bonehead (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:09 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

I had Doug give me an appraisal and raised my agreed on value quite a bit. Previous owner added an RS wing and factory carbon seats. Since the seats are no longer available those parts added a lot to my value. My rate actually went down because it is now classified as weekend car (not sure why it wasn't already classified that way, but a pleasant surprise).
Old 01-14-2022, 03:25 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 405 Posts

I went back to a standard policy. My agreed value policy with a $150k replacement value no longer made sense. We now have so many comp sales and listings above $150k that a regular policy would probably pay out more than $150k and the premium is half of what the agreed upon policy cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
cbracerx (02-08-2022), Steve Theodore (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:30 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I went back to a standard policy. My agreed value policy with a $150k replacement value no longer made sense. We now have so many comp sales and listings above $150k that a regular policy would probably pay out more than $150k and the premium is half of what the agreed upon policy cost.
I had the same thought as you but my insurance agent thought there might be a bit of risk with that. At this point I've left mine alone with agreed value, but I will consider doing the same thing as you did again in the future as the comps just keep going higher and higher.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:40 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I had the same thought as you but my insurance agent thought there might be a bit of risk with that. At this point I've left mine alone with agreed value, but I will consider doing the same thing as you did again in the future as the comps just keep going higher and higher.
what a time to be Hagerty, everyone starts paying more for their insurance and then stops driving their cars to keep the miles off…
The following 2 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
Robocop305 (01-14-2022), Steve Theodore (01-14-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
My hagerty policy is up for renewal, so I revisited this thread, and re read some of the thoughts people had here. My particular GT3 is always going to be closer to a bottom of the market car, as it has been repainted from guards red to ruby ret metallic. The BOTTOM of this current market is still probably $120k, maybe $115k. If I switch to a regular insurance policy instead of Hagerty, I would save close to $2,000 per year. I keep my cars a long time, I have an aircooed 911 that I've owned for more than 10 years. I'm starting to be of the opinoin that I should look at regular coverage. Looks like we have at least a couple people moving to regular insurance and preparing for some kind of fight in the case of a loss. Any new thoughts?
Old 02-04-2022, 04:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
My hagerty policy is up for renewal, so I revisited this thread, and re read some of the thoughts people had here. My particular GT3 is always going to be closer to a bottom of the market car, as it has been repainted from guards red to ruby ret metallic. The BOTTOM of this current market is still probably $120k, maybe $115k. If I switch to a regular insurance policy instead of Hagerty, I would save close to $2,000 per year. I keep my cars a long time, I have an aircooed 911 that I've owned for more than 10 years. I'm starting to be of the opinoin that I should look at regular coverage. Looks like we have at least a couple people moving to regular insurance and preparing for some kind of fight in the case of a loss. Any new thoughts?
Look at Porsche Insurance since you're in Ohio. https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com
The Mick (02-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone else raising their insurance limits?