Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do I need to replace my Cup 2 now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Those tires are in great condition. Looks like they’ve never even see a track day
Old 07-09-2021, 07:58 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

I see NOTHING that absolutely indicates replacement.
but
you also said
"I don't want to ruin my first track event at Laguna Seca so I'm highly considering to replace them with NT01 (I loved these tires on my 987 Cayman when I tracked them back in the day)."

This scenario is a gut check IMO, so follow the path that makes your gut feel best.

I would run what ya have and not introduce new variables,
Just eyeball them between run sessions.
Chris (above) and I are aligned.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Honestly those look pretty fresh for their age. You're prob ok to run what you have.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:22 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaz
I'll be going to my first HDPE (in 10 yrs) with my new to me 997 GT3. Car came with Cup 2 tires and rears look worn. I did some search on the forum and people mentioned they would replace them way before any kind of cording is shown. Since I don't have history on these tires and previous owner said he didn't track the car I don't really know the history.

I don't want to ruin my first track event at Laguna Seca so I'm highly considering to replace them with NT01 (I loved these tires on my 987 Cayman when I tracked them back in the day).

Thoughts on if I should absolutely replace these wheels or not?

Hard to tell from pictures:

Rears are 4/32 or 5/32
Fronts are 6/32

Any input on NT01 vs Cup2?

FYI, this is strictly a weekend car street and track use.

Any input would be awesome, thanks!
if you haven't driven in 10 years i would 100% not run nt01s or cups. street tires and call it a day. your tires look fine, but they are close to timing out. fine on the street probably don't have much grip on track
Old 07-10-2021, 01:30 AM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool thanks all for your input. I’ll prob just run on these I’m not trying to go for lap records lol. I need to learn this car very different driving from the Cayman mid engine.

Gonna take it easy for sure.

The week after I’ll be at Sonoma for a day so hope they last at least 2 track days.

I’ll report back in.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:04 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They look good to go rotaz. They'll offer more traction than you need to learn the car. I spent the first 3 years of track days on street tyres like supersports to limit traction and learn my car.
Just reassess after your first track day. If you get excessive wear you can always replace for Sonoma.

Have a great day out on track, stay safe
Old 07-10-2021, 02:22 AM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

thanks will do!

Originally Posted by 911rox
They look good to go rotaz. They'll offer more traction than you need to learn the car. I spent the first 3 years of track days on street tyres like supersports to limit traction and learn my car.
Just reassess after your first track day. If you get excessive wear you can always replace for Sonoma.

Have a great day out on track, stay safe
Old 07-10-2021, 03:14 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

Agree with all the comments above saying those are fine. I'd check the tires after every session just to be safe (good practice anyway).

Unless you are driving in advanced and turning fast lap times, you might get 2 days out of those but I'd have a replacement set handy just to be safe.

As far as which replacement set, if you are using the car primarily for track and care very little about noise or potential for encountering water getting to/from the track, the NT01's are fine. If you want to drive on the streets too, I'd stay with Cup 2's. They are the best compromise I've found for a sticky all around tire.

Good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:55 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

One more question, what PSI do you guys start on cold tires (front and rear) and what PSI do you shoot to be at?
Old 07-10-2021, 05:11 PM
ngng
Drifting

One more question, what PSI do you guys start on cold tires (front and rear) and what PSI do you shoot to be at?
totally depends on the tire. street tires will generlaly run higher psi than track tires. if you are pushing the car you can expect 5-6psi of increase with regular air. work backwards from there.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:06 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
totally depends on the tire. street tires will generlaly run higher psi than track tires. if you are pushing the car you can expect 5-6psi of increase with regular air. work backwards from there.
Sorry for not clarifying, for Cup 2. I know it’s going to differ due to course, weather, etc but was looking for baseline so I can start from there then adjust to get my target PSI?
Old 07-10-2021, 07:36 PM
ngng
Drifting

Sorry for not clarifying, for Cup 2. I know it’s going to differ due to course, weather, etc but was looking for baseline so I can start from there then adjust to get my target PSI?
i would probably target 30-32 hot. check the sidewall and see if it's rolling over.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running Cup 2's on my GT3 at the track, so here is my $.02. The primary use of my car is on the track but I drive the car to the track so I need a tire that can be street driven, including in the rain. I've used NT01's and they're also good track tires but terrible street tires. The Nitto's can be treacherous in the rain once they start to wear and they are unbearably noisy on long drives on the street/highway. The good thing about the Nitto's is that they last a long time and can be run down to the cords. On the track, the lifetime of the Cup 2's is limited by heat cycles, not treadwear. They are at their best on day 1 on the track and start going downhill from there. By 15 heat cycles, they are falling off quite a bit. I've nursed them to 25 heat cycles, but they are pretty greasy by then. For hot pressures, I target 32 psi F and 35 psi R.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:08 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Very informative, thank you for your feedback. I don’t think my cup2 has seen any track days at all so not sure how I would count heat cycles with that said.

what would an indication be on when replace them? Would change them when cording is visible?

I just bought a pair of RE71R so looking forward to trying these out as soon as these tires are gone.

Originally Posted by Jake951
I'm running Cup 2's on my GT3 at the track, so here is my $.02. The primary use of my car is on the track but I drive the car to the track so I need a tire that can be street driven, including in the rain. I've used NT01's and they're also good track tires but terrible street tires. The Nitto's can be treacherous in the rain once they start to wear and they are unbearably noisy on long drives on the street/highway. The good thing about the Nitto's is that they last a long time and can be run down to the cords. On the track, the lifetime of the Cup 2's is limited by heat cycles, not treadwear. They are at their best on day 1 on the track and start going downhill from there. By 15 heat cycles, they are falling off quite a bit. I've nursed them to 25 heat cycles, but they are pretty greasy by then. For hot pressures, I target 32 psi F and 35 psi R.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:29 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very informative, thank you for your feedback. I don’t think my cup2 has seen any track days at all so not sure how I would count heat cycles with that said.

what would an indication be on when replace them? Would change them when cording is visible?

I just bought a pair of RE71R so looking forward to trying these out as soon as these tires are gone.
Street driving does not normally accumulate heat cycles. You have to get the tires very hot, as you would on the track, to heat cycle them. On the street that's not possible.

Certainly if the tires are corded, they need to be replaced ASAP. However, as I said, on the track the Cup 2's reach a heat cycle limit before the tread is gone. However, that's a judgment call based on how you perceive the grip level of the tire and your track driving skill level. I've never seen them cord except when there is a wheel alignment problem or maybe they are underinflated. On the track, you have to get the tires up to temperature before you start pushing them. A couple warmup laps will generally do that.

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace my Cup 2 now?