Old 07-02-2021, 01:23 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 417 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Registering GT car originally from Canada - Already in the US

please close

Last edited by smceo; 03-31-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Ikon
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 72 Posts

Since import taxes and everything is already paid and it’s a USA title car now. It’s a completely federal legal car. You are good to go as long as it passed Cali smog which is fine if the car is stock.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:30 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

In the middle of doing this for the second time right now. What year is the car and do you know if it's a 50 state legal emissions car? If it is, it will say something like "CA LEV II compliant". If it's not, then a bigger problem.

Process, simplified goes something like this:
- if you didn't already get one when the car was imported, call PCNA and ask for a Letter of Compliance (LOC). This will state the vehicle complies with both Canada and US DOT safety and CA emissions regulations at time of manufacture. If you have or get this, the rest can be done. Note: on my current car, this is usually a 24-48hr process. This took 2 weeks and CONSTANT calls this time around.
- importation documentation and duties paid at border (you've already done this it sounds like)
- to register in CA, you will need to supply the LOC, other state title, Smog certificate, get the VIN verified at the DMV and complete an CA REG 343 (application for title /registration)
- assuming car has been registered over a year in another state, you'll pay registration fee only

With the DMV, you can get in line electronically now and better manage your time. At my local offices, wait times are actually pretty good right now. Took me 15 mins to register 2 cars and talk to a supervisor on Friday to confirm they understood how to handle registering a foreign car. Some are confused about this and I was actually better prepared than they were.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions. Key is to be patient and be prepared.
The following users liked this post:
twentyseven (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 04:52 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 417 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
In the middle of doing this for the second time right now. What year is the car and do you know if it's a 50 state legal emissions car? If it is, it will say something like "CA LEV II compliant". If it's not, then a bigger problem.

Process, simplified goes something like this:
- if you didn't already get one when the car was imported, call PCNA and ask for a Letter of Compliance (LOC). This will state the vehicle complies with both Canada and US DOT safety and CA emissions regulations at time of manufacture. If you have or get this, the rest can be done. Note: on my current car, this is usually a 24-48hr process. This took 2 weeks and CONSTANT calls this time around.
- importation documentation and duties paid at border (you've already done this it sounds like)
- to register in CA, you will need to supply the LOC, other state title, Smog certificate, get the VIN verified at the DMV and complete an CA REG 343 (application for title /registration)
- assuming car has been registered over a year in another state, you'll pay registration fee only

With the DMV, you can get in line electronically now and better manage your time. At my local offices, wait times are actually pretty good right now. Took me 15 mins to register 2 cars and talk to a supervisor on Friday to confirm they understood how to handle registering a foreign car. Some are confused about this and I was actually better prepared than they were.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions. Key is to be patient and be prepared.
It is a 2007 997.1 GT3RS, doorjam does say CMVSS, did yours say this?
Old 07-03-2021, 02:04 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

As discussed, look at the engine lid for EPA and CARB certification. Most 997's delivered to NA I believe are 50 state compliant.
smceo (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 02:12 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

under decklid is EPA sticker. Canadian cars had same emissions etc as California. You are good to go. I have imported Porsches Canada to California and other US states.
smceo (07-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Registering GT car originally from Canada - Already in the US