Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery update

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:27 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Battery update

Lots of battery threads, but I'm starting a new one because at least where I live the only decent choice for an AGM is Diehard from Advance auto parts. I had to get a new battery for my Audi S3 and after extensive searching, the one I got was the H6 AGM Platinum. Pepboys used to sell Bosch AGM, but no more for some reason. Autozone had no AGMs for the car, and Napa had me on hold for too long to confirm in stock availability.
I considered an Odessy, but also not available locally. I didn't even try to see what the VW/Audi dealers had, maybe I should have called to compare. In any case the one that died wasn't even AGM, most factory cars come with wet lead acid batteries(what our GT3s came with)
Also, in the case of the Audi I had to code the new AGM type, serial and ah with obdeleven. GT3s have no battery type settings in Piwis.

So, the best thing about the purchase is the "Made In Germany" sticker which really surprised me. 3 year replacement is the current policy, so let's see how that goes. This car is a battery hog as most cars are, and the dead battery lasted about 4 years. The H6 one I used on the S3 might be OK with a GT3, it's probably the size of the stock one the car shipped with.

On my GT3, a few years ago I switched to a Bosch AGM H8 size from Pepboys(no longer sold there or anywhere near me)To most that larger battery, I had to have a nut welded at the bottom of the tray to secure it. The hole is there, but needs a nut welded like I did-
So, I just did a search and for the GT3 Advance does indeed list the H8 sized one:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...597%7CL4*13646

Other battery threads over the years also include other brands(Interstate was always a favorite for some)
I'm not interested in weight savings, don't track, not interested in lithium batteries. Just noticed that the availability these days is down to just a few, mostly rebranded Johnson Controls I suppose. The Napa battery did say Made In USA with foreign materials

My Bosch on the GT3 is on the Ctek since it's not a daily driver and has lasted over 4 years, and since I'd have to order online from somewhere I'd rather just get the one from Advance when I need a replacement-
Old 06-29-2021, 12:31 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

FYI, Your CC probably extended the warranty by a year to four.

Quick Reply: Battery update