Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How to cover up "used" front license plate holes on a .2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts
Default How to cover up "used" front license plate holes on a .2 GT3?

Hey there I have a situation with a .2 GT3 that has the front license plate mounted. Once removed that could leave a mess and I guess you can buy the plastic plugs. The only other option is filling the holes and repainting the whole bumper?

Old 05-29-2021, 09:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Yes, Bumperplugs.com or refinish the bumper. If you prefer to keep it original, get the bumper plugs, otherwise, It’s a great excuse to repaint the bumper and eliminate any stone chips if the car didn’t have clear film. Just always document the before and after so buyers know why it was done.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:28 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, Bumperplugs.com or refinish the bumper. If you prefer to keep it original, get the bumper plugs, otherwise, It’s a great excuse to repaint the bumper and eliminate any stone chips if the car didn’t have clear film. Just always document the before and after so buyers know why it was done.

Yea the bumper is perfect. I guess plugs it is. I wonder if the center could just be blended where the holes are?
Old 05-29-2021, 10:57 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Yes you could have it airbrushed. That can work in certain instances, but in my experience is not as strong as paint (if you put film over it, that may come off if you remove the film later on).

I’d say try the plugs first. Then you could try the airbrush, then do a full paint.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:11 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

I went through this on my last GT3 (Basalt Black). Started with the bumper plugs and then ended up doing the repaint. I documented everything, used a top-shelf paint shop, and was, in the end, very happy with the result. I also took the opportunity to get rid of the Motorsport radiator grills and fill those holes. Did not impact the resale value in any way (Doug sold this one earlier this year).

Bumper plugs (with center Motorsport center grill)

Finished result (with Rennline grills)
The following users liked this post:
bweSteve (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Crazy how anyone would drill these bumpers for plates.
bumperplugs.com is your best solution, Eric's products are excellent.
Used them back in the 996 days.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

@zdet Do you know who built the color matched bumper plugs that were in your car to start with? They look smaller than Eric's BumperPlugs.

Back when I first bought my car, I noticed that the bumper plugs were a perfect match on color, and that they seemed to be much smaller than a BumperPlug diameter. Turns out I was right. I compared them & mine were smaller (plus, a couple years later I had the front bumper off & noticed from behind, that the hole in the bumper was a very small hole too).

I could not find a decent bumper close-up pic on my laptop, but did find this one for you to see.

I'd really like to know if there is another company out there that sells these color matched plugs (just in case I ever need them, once I pull the film off years from now)...

Last edited by bweSteve; 05-31-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 03:58 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
@zdet Do you know who built the color matched bumper plugs that were in your car to start with? They look smaller than Eric's BumperPlugs.

Back when I first bought my car, I noticed that the bumper plugs were a perfect match on color, and that they seemed to be much smaller than a BumperPlug diameter. Turns out I was right. I compared them & mine were smaller (plus, a couple years later I had the front bumper off & noticed from behind, that the hole in the bumper was a very small hole too).

I could not find a decent bumper close-up pic on my laptop, but did find this one for you to see.

I'd really like to know if there is another company out there that sells these color matched plugs (just in case I ever need them, once I pull the film off years from now)...
(below was my first day of ownership 3 yrs ago)

Love that car! @bweSteve The plugs pictured in my post above are Eric's BumperPlugs, purchased in 2017. The color match was perfect. Had it not been for the Motorsport grills and related holes, I likely would not have done the repaint.
The following 2 users liked this post by zdet:
bweSteve (05-31-2021), Mr. Adair (06-10-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 05:41 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
Crazy how anyone would drill these bumpers for plates.

Lots of phillistines out there... and I did hear of dealers drilling holes without consent.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:58 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Ok Thnx zdet. Probably too hard for me to compare sizes in pics. I should know better. They're probably millimeters apart in difference on outside diameter.

The bigger difference as far as I could tell, was the inner hole diameter. Weird thing about the plugs in my car is that the hole in the bumper is reeeeeally small. ... like 1/16" kinda small.

maybe someone, maybe even 15-20 yrs ago, could have sourced any plug type, and had it custom painted with the touch up aqua blue. who knows.

guess I won't worry about it unless something happens to the front end.

Thanks for replying back. and your front end looks awesome clean like that.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:51 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

^^^Thanks. If I recall correctly, I had to drill out the existing holes to make them large enough to accommodate the BumperPlugs plugs (1/4” or so). Sounds like you may have different plugs.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:21 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts

I have Aqua Blue plugs as well, it doesn’t really bother me enough to take the bumper off and get it painted.

They are barely noticeable in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:50 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,926 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

(below was my first day of ownership 3 yrs ago)

Can't get enough of that pic. Stellar car
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
bweSteve (05-31-2021), Mr. Adair (06-10-2021)

Quick Reply: How to cover up "used" front license plate holes on a .2 GT3?