Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is my GT3RS a factory 1/1??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 03:03 PM
Joel Dunaway
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my GT3RS a factory 1/1??

I bought a 2008 GT3RS (997.1) this past December and my car seems to have something all others seem to be lacking. My car is a black with orange graphics and wheels however the mirrors are black. This seems very peculiar and I think most people would just assume the mirrors were either painted black by one of the previous owners or the wheels, wing side inlets painted and decals added later on however the cars build sheet lists the following...

Black Full Leather
Ceramic Composite Brake-PCCB
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Headlight Cleaner Cover Exterior Color
Sport Chrono Package Without PCM
Lid of Storage Bin Alcantara With Logo
Side Stripes-Deviating Color
Rear Wing End-Plates Deviating Color
Dashboard Stitching Deviating Color
Door Stitching in Deviating Color
Door Handle Stitching Deviating Color
Deviating Stitching Side Center Console
Rear Side Panel Deviating Stitching
Seat Stitching Deviating Color
Standard Rocker Panels Painted
Carbon Door Sill Model Insignia
Wheels Painted Silver
GT3 RS Wheels-Deviating Color
Floor Mats in Interior Color

As you can see the car was listed with all of the orange graphics from factory but there is one thing that sticks out. The guy who specced the car choose "Wheels Painted Silver" and "GT3 RS Wheels-Deviating Color" as options. I am beginning to think the "wheels painted silver" may have been a way to trick the system into giving the car black mirrors and maintaining the orange decals / graphics everywhere else. What do you guys think, if you have any information any other cars optioned this way reply to this thread or PM me. Also would you recommend reaching out to Porsche HQ and if so does anyone have experience with what that process is like? Thank you and I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

contact Doug @ switchcars for definitive answer.
I think the group may have discussed just this item.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure that this is helpful (or even relevant), but the white car that sold on BaT a couple/three weeks ago had white end plates, black mirrors, and black wheels. The spec sheet listed both silver painted wheels and wheels in deviating color, if I recall correctly. It was discussed in the 997 GT3/RS Cars for Sale thread on the day that it was listed, and I think someone posted the options list, which more clearly stated the options. I mention this because the mirrors on that car were black, but, I think, should have been white, and it had both the silver and deviating wheels listed. I think the spec sheet was silent as to the mirror color and end plate color.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Doug has the data.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:00 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Silver wheels were an option, I have silver wheels on my black/orange cars but mirrors are orange.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:34 PM
Joel Dunaway
Track Day

I actually talked to him this afternoon and we are both trying to confirm if it is indeed the case. Its a witch-hunt that I think were beginning to see the answer to.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Hi Joel,
Doug is the master of GT3 data, so I would trust him before anyone else.

From what I can see, yes, your car is 1/1 for the North American Market (US and Canada), when you qualify on the option codes CNL, CNR, CRY and 346 and you look at Black with Decorative Stripe.

However, if you look at Black cars, instead of Black with Decorative Stripe, there's 6 other VIN's that match for North America with those 4 options.

If you look at just CRY and 346, there are 3 Black with Decorative Stripe cars and 6 black cars.

I'm sure you and Doug will figure it out, but if you wanted additional data, let me know.

Joe
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Joel Dunaway
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Hi Joel,
Doug is the master of GT3 data, so I would trust him before anyone else.

From what I can see, yes, your car is 1/1 for the North American Market (US and Canada), when you qualify on the option codes CNL, CNR, CRY and 346 and you look at Black with Decorative Stripe.

However, if you look at Black cars, instead of Black with Decorative Stripe, there's 6 other VIN's that match for North America with those 4 options.

If you look at just CRY and 346, there are 3 Black with Decorative Stripe cars and 6 black cars.

I'm sure you and Doug will figure it out, but if you wanted additional data, let me know.

Joe
Hey I am astounded you have this much data on the production lists. Can you reference me where you are finding this information so I can do some more digging? Thank you.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel Dunaway
Hey I am astounded you have this much data on the production lists. Can you reference me where you are finding this information so I can do some more digging? Thank you.
Well, some of it is available via the following page https://scsage.com/search/ , sign up and you can register for a free membership and get a high level idea of counts, but it won't display VINs. However, I wanted VINs so I created my own "database" for lack of a better term with all vins and every option for each car for the 997.1/2 GT3/RS cars. I'm pretty sure Doug has the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
Joel Dunaway (05-18-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:23 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

RS Orange was the standard highlight color for Black 7.1 RSs. My 2007 black RS has orange in all the normal places – wing end plates, mirrors, graphics, and wheels. What's interesting here, is my build sheet does not state deviating color anywhere except for the seats, which is another story. Black stitching is standard, so deviating color stitching would be listed for anything other than Black. In my case, Orange.

Does your build sheet specify the deviating color for the wing and stripes? Or does it just say deviating color? Mine is below.

Based on my build sheet, I'm wondering if your car is one of the rare examples that was ordered factory with Black wing ends, Black graphics and Silver wheels, but somewhere along the line, someone wanted the Orange treatment after the fact, but skipped the mirrors.

I've seen quite a few White 9.1 RSs with body color mirrors, which I think were standard. Maybe deviating the wheels to Silver (standard on White) defaults the mirrors to body color, which could explain your black mirrors, and the omission of deviating mirror color from your build sheet.

P.S. I sourced mine from Doug. As others have mentioned, he's really up on this topic. Hopefully he'll chime in at some point.

Last edited by f50nut; 05-20-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Joel Dunaway
Track Day

Originally Posted by f50nut
RS Orange was the standard highlight color for Black 7.1 RSs. My 2007 black RS has orange in all the normal places – wing end plates, mirrors, graphics, and wheels. What's interesting here, is my build sheet does not state deviating color anywhere except for the seats, which is another story. Black stitching is standard, so deviating color stitching would be listed for anything other than Black. In my case, Orange.

Does your build sheet specify the deviating color for the wing and stripes? Or does it just say deviating color? Mine is below.

Based on my build sheet, I'm wondering if your car is one of the rare examples that was ordered factory with Black wing ends, Black graphics and Silver wheels, but somewhere along the line, someone wanted the Orange treatment after the fact, but skipped the mirrors.

I've seen quite a few White 9.1 RSs with body color mirrors, which I think were standard. Maybe deviating the wheels to Silver (standard on White) defaults the mirrors to body color, which could explain your black mirrors, and the omission of deviating mirror color from your build sheet.

P.S. I sourced mine from Doug. As others have mentioned, he's really up on this topic. Hopefully he'll chime in at some point.

So interestingly enough mine was listed to have deviating winglets, wheels, and graphics. I also found pictures of my car for sale 7 months and 1400 miles after the original owner bought it, the pictures showed the car exactly the way it is now. So I do think it is a possibility the original owner changed something up by the time he'd have finished it would have been back for sale.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

unicorn
Old 05-21-2021, 02:28 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

@pissedpuppy Curious, does your spec sheet list both silver wheels and deviating wheels?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:26 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by zdet
@pissedpuppy Curious, does your spec sheet list both silver wheels and deviating wheels?
@zdet
CNL - Side Stripes and Logos Deviated Color
CNR - Rear Wing End Plate Deviated Color
CNZ - Side Mirror Deviated Color
CRY - 19" GT3 RS WheelsDeviated Color

all in black.

weird thing is that the window sticker says Wheels Painted Silver - a N/C option (which is inaccurate, as they came in black) - basically means i have no idea how to interpret these things!

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 05-21-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Small sample size, but I was thinking that if your spec sheet said nothing about silver wheels, it may help support the theory above that the silver wheel listing is somehow tied to body color/non-deviating mirrors. I'm with you now...have no idea.