Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 09:32 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New Vendor Intro: Heavy *****

Hey Rennlist - allow me to introduce myself with a short story...

Do you remember your last perfectly timed down shift?

The procession of blipping the throttle, pulling the shifter and feeling the shove to the back of your head is one of the most visceral driving sensations that remain. Yet long after the world’s motoring lexicon has been rewritten in units of volts and milliseconds, you as the enthusiast driver will continue curating a quickly disappearing art form known as driving a manual car.

So how dare we try to improving upon this sacred experience - Porsche has been evolving their cars from one quintessential idea for the last 60 years, so surely they could do no wrong, right? Unfortunately, marketers and accountants stepped in and asked the engineers to design around spreadsheets rather than driving emotion and it’s how we ended up with a glaring design fault:

The Porsche shift ****.

At some distinct point these became lightweight, constructed mostly of plastic, and a disjointed part of what is otherwise an utterly fantastic experience. The bean counters assuaged us not to worry, because we could fix this with $1100 Tequipment catalog replacements. After 5 years of 997 ownership I thought there had to be a better way - and now there finally is:

Attachment 1338439

Heavy ***** solves this problem by allowing you to add any one of four weighted metal inserts into your 997/987 shift **** of choice, making driving and every single gear shift sublime while keeping your Porsche’s appearance 100% OEM. Here's what you should know:
  • OEM shift ***** alone are flimsy. The 997/987 shift **** is mostly plastic and weighs a featherweight 60g while being almost $300 new from the dealer.
  • The metal Porsche Tequipment X97 shift **** is better, but costs $1100(!!) and weighs only 125g. You’re also stuck buying the matching ebrake handle.
  • Aftermarket shift ***** are generally heavier, but you introduce a visually clashing machined part into your interior that is scalding in the summer and freezing to the touch in the winter. No thanks.

Heavy **** shift inserts are the best of all worlds. You get to keep your favorite OEM leather/alcantara/carbon/wood 997/987 shift **** while having a **** that now weighs 165g - a 3x improvement over stock. Too heavy? Mix and match inserts for the most optimal feel. Do you have an SSK? With Heavy ***** you'll be able to dial in the perfect rifle-action shift feel in your Porsche.

Heavy **** shift inserts take only 15 minutes to install, have been designed, engineered and hand-cast in the USA to precisely fit inside your 997/987 shift **** and make this single handedly the best and most discreet modification you’ll ever make to your Porsche. Each order comes with easy instructions for install - which is completely reversible and no custom modification required.

I am currently taking pre-orders for my next batch, which should be ready to ship in about two weeks.

Each set is only $115, and 30 different members have already gotten theirs on the 997 subforum - see here.

Read the reviews here
and here

So if you're interested in getting on the pre-order list, PM me or reach out directly at contact@heavyknobs.com.

Attachment 1339919

The best damn shift **** solution for your 996/997/987. And now for 991/981!

Old 05-03-2021, 11:57 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Too funny! The site police think that "****" is a rude word. I'm glad that there is someone out there protecting me from the horror of K N O B.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:36 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

lol, I did this mod on my own using fishing lead weights that I beat into the shape. Obviously not as precise as your casting. What is the inner material for the weights?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:13 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by noro78
lol, I did this mod on my own using fishing lead weights that I beat into the shape. Obviously not as precise as your casting. What is the inner material for the weights?
You're seeing brass in the photos - but I'm moving to cast bronze in this next batch.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:28 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I put them in the shifter of my GT3 and like them very much. Good idea and an easy tweak
Old 05-05-2021, 12:09 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Had a heavier shift **** made by Skunk2 on a older Honda and it made the shifting considerably smoother. You wouldn’t think the extra weight would have such an impact. Wonder how this would feel with a transmission of a GT car..... When will the next batch be ready?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:15 AM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Had a heavier shift **** made by Skunk2 on a older Honda and it made the shifting considerably smoother. You wouldn’t think the extra weight would have such an impact. Wonder how this would feel with a transmission of a GT car..... When will the next batch be ready?
I've got @Amalgams54 running shifter inserts with a Numeric Shifter / cables on his cup car inspired 997.2 C2S - and he says that it's one of the most sublime shifting setups he's ever had.

Next batch is planned to ship the weekend of the 15th. I'm happy to take a pre-order if you'd like to PM me.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:56 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Asim, PM sent
=Steve
Old 05-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

PM sent
Old 05-07-2021, 02:00 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Everyone responded to - appreciate the support!
Old 05-14-2021, 07:18 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next batch of 40 is here - for the 20 or so active orders and everyone that has inquired, will be shipping this weekend as promised.

If you've installed yours already, would love it if you could post a review!

For everyone else - have about 20 more ready to ship!

The following users liked this post:
shellb (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 11:46 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Have messaged and emailed you without receiving any reply.
you don’t ship overseas?
Old 05-15-2021, 04:17 PM
HeavyKnobs
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey everyone - latest batch just shipped out! You should have received an e-mail from paypal with updated tracking information.

If you are international, expect about 7 business days in transit. If you are in the US, expect orders to arrive beginning to mid next week.

Thank you for your support!
Old 05-15-2021, 07:45 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Asim!!

Can't wait to try this out!!
Old 05-17-2021, 05:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Got mine today. Started taking the shifter apart & realized that my alcantera needs cleaning around the top edge (just below the cap). I'd like to do that before I slide the back half back on & wrap it up.

I recall (years ago) seeing threads on this 997 GT sub-forum, on how to delicately clean / scrub the alcantera in order to eliminate how matted down it is, and get it to stand back up.

Anyone have a link to a good thread on cleaning? I searched but could not find a dedicated thread on it,... so it must have been buried in some other thread, and I'm not getting my search words to hit.

TIA

Quick Reply: New Vendor Intro: Heavy Knobs