997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 specific Podcast as an fyi

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021 | 01:24 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

It was as if I listened to instead of reading the best posts of the last 10 years of this forum.
Old 04-14-2021 | 01:50 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Really good listen.
Love the history and trial and error honest approach with the R & D.

Being from Fremont and currently living in the east bay, It was neat hearing the history of one of the best Porsche support companies out there in our own back yard.

The story of the three (3.8 & 4.1 & 4.0) is a great read for those of you who havebt read it yet. Sorry I can't remember the story title or link. But I know its on this 7 GT forum.
Old 04-14-2021 | 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Enjoyed the chat!
Thanks for taking the time to sit down and explain the process behind SW history and what you do. As a 997.1 GT3 owner I can say one of your 3.9L builds would really be the ultimate!

Last edited by 405; 04-14-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2021 | 02:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 405
Enjoyed the chat!
Thanks for taking the time to sit down and explain the process behind SW history and what you do. As a 997.1 GT3 owner I can say one of your 3.9L builds would really be the ultimate!
Thanks mate. It's a bit weird even hearing the words SW and history. It means we're old. 16 years just flew by somehow? This year was a bit different for everyone I'm sure.... The beauty of the 3.6 .1GT3 motor is those lighter pistons and just how it revs (for days). We just wanted it to rev for the weekends too hence the 8800 and crazy cam without any power drop off up top:P We'll be here when you rack up those miles and need a build
Originally Posted by mikes70
Really good listen.

Being from Fremont and currently living in the east bay, It was neat hearing the history of one of the best Porsche support companies out there in our own back yard.

The story of the three (3.8 & 4.1 & 4.0) is a great read for those of you who haven't read it yet. Sorry I can't remember the story title or link. But I know its on this 7 GT forum.
Cheers and indeed that's just the way to do it. There's a tendency to rush and/or be first or chase something I guess but really if you love and respect this motor as we really do... Some things come easier and some things break harder. The 3.9 was technically easier progression for us. We went to 3.8 for a year on our Green car and then to a 3.9 without a lot of issues. We already knew about the coolant pipe issues from the turbos but we discovered some other possible / probable weak spots when pushing (pressure plates, oil cooler elbows , valve guides and so forth...). We felt sky high and perhaps that gave us the confidence to be silly and do the 4.1. That one was really tricky, took help from some very smart heads, some trial and error and most of all patience (to keep spending and hitting walls). We also learned a lot for which I'm also grateful for- a lot of the TSB's for the 4.0 we had already encountered and now when we do just a 'coolant fix' we do a lot of other things that we learned from our 4.1 R&D to keep the 3.8 or 4.0 car on the road for a long long time. Seeing Mooty rack up miles on his 4.0 (LSD'd, coolant pipes fixed, oil cooler pipes replaced, cam adjusters solid etc...) 10 years later and probably for another 10. That's gold to us.

Originally Posted by cosmos
It was as if I listened to instead of reading the best posts of the last 10 years of this forum.
Haha... I actually told Dan that. He asked how the 3 hours went (he had to cover for me) and I said it was like being on rennlist back in 2007-2013 and before social media per se:P

Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ
Really need to find some time tomorrow to listen to this!

@sharkster , is that a sharkwerks t-shirt? Looks amazing!
Poor you hah- didn't click on the audio version:P Actually my friends Chris & Michael Allen Ross (famous automotive photographer) made those as Retrograde Motoring. They only made a short run sadly. They made t-shirts for us. I'll someday see if they will make some more
Originally Posted by steve porter
Great Pod Alex
Cheers man!
The following 3 users liked this post by sharkster:
405 (04-14-2021), mikes70 (04-14-2021), WP0ZZZ (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021 | 02:41 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

wow awesome Podcast Alex. Very informative, and will probably pay a visit to your shop in the near future about pinning coolant lines
Old 04-15-2021 | 11:41 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by samwise
wow awesome Podcast Alex. Very informative, and will probably pay a visit to your shop in the near future about pinning coolant lines
Thank you sir. We'll be here Just older:P
Old 04-15-2021 | 01:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Alex - so where is the GT2 these days???
Old 04-16-2021 | 01:13 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Alex - so where is the GT2 these days???
My chum with an SW 3.9 997.1 GT3 has it in NC right now:P
Old 04-17-2021 | 01:25 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the talk. Thx Alex! Learned some too, but mostly just fun to listen to you guys geek out on the 997 platform the way I do....

p.s. I still love my as SW center delete, best mod I have done to my car so far.
Old 04-17-2021 | 02:41 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sharkster
My chum with an SW 3.9 997.1 GT3 has it in NC right now:P
sheesh - let's be chums then!
The following users liked this post:
seis-speed (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021 | 07:26 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Doing Sunday Chores, I listened to the P-cast and I completely agree with Alex and Sam about the greatness of the 997.

Especially the point Alex makes about driving the 997GT cars - similarly as an attempt to playing an instrument - the shifter is notchy, the clutch takes effort, and the throttle is very sensitive, so it has all these components working in attempt to harmonize, but due to these simple tasks requiring a bit more effort than most sports cars, it is so much more rewarding when you pull it all together at 7/10ths.

That is my favorite part of driving mine, the feeling and challenge of (trying to harmonize the car). That is a great analogy.

Old 04-18-2021 | 09:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mikes70
Really good listen.

The story of the three (3.8 & 4.1 & 4.0) is a great read for those of you who havebt read it yet. Sorry I can't remember the story title or link. But I know its on this 7 GT forum.
that article is in this issue

"Seeing Mooty rack up miles on his 4.0 (LSD'd, coolant pipes fixed, oil cooler pipes replaced, cam adjusters solid etc...) 10 years later and probably for another 10. That's gold to us"

thanks for taking care of the 4.0.. it's the one car I kept over 1 year. had it since new. it has 18xxx miles on it now.
The following 4 users liked this post by mooty:
mikes70 (04-24-2021), PJP13 (04-19-2021), RAudi Driver (04-26-2021), SupraSaiyan (04-26-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
that article is in this issue

"Seeing Mooty rack up miles on his 4.0 (LSD'd, coolant pipes fixed, oil cooler pipes replaced, cam adjusters solid etc...) 10 years later and probably for another 10. That's gold to us"

thanks for taking care of the 4.0.. it's the one car I kept over 1 year. had it since new. it has 18xxx miles on it now.
That was such a fun time. All the dirt we got on our cars haha! And btw it's not like Mooty doesn't keep his cars immaculate (he has the best detailer we know of keep it perfect) it's just that it's great to see these really driven and enjoyed vs sitting in some bubble wasting away slowly.

Originally Posted by seis-speed
Doing Sunday Chores, I listened to the P-cast and I completely agree with Alex and Sam about the greatness of the 997.

Especially the point Alex makes about driving the 997GT cars - similarly as an attempt to playing an instrument - the shifter is notchy, the clutch takes effort, and the throttle is very sensitive, so it has all these components working in attempt to harmonize, but due to these simple tasks requiring a bit more effort than most sports cars, it is so much more rewarding when you pull it all together at 7/10ths.

That is my favorite part of driving mine, the feeling and challenge of (trying to harmonize the car). That is a great analogy.

Hah thanks man. I can't quite figure out a way to explain it to people who haven't driven one so that was my best shot at it:P I know a lot of folks that have gotten into 911s over the last 5-6 years just don't get or even understand why we care or are as passionate about this particular era and on the surface it might seem strange. When you drive them though you know the difference and why ()albeit slower around a ring or two lol!).

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
sheesh - let's be chums then!
Hahah!

Originally Posted by PJP13
I thoroughly enjoyed the talk. Thx Alex! Learned some too, but mostly just fun to listen to you guys geek out on the 997 platform the way I do....

p.s. I still love my as SW center delete, best mod I have done to my car so far.
Thanks for swimming with us! And I think this podcast was for all 15 or 16 of us haha!

Old 04-25-2021 | 07:59 AM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

Just watched this! Was good!!
Old 04-26-2021 | 03:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Williamsf1
Just watched this! Was good!!
Cheers man! With all the 992 GT3 stuff going on haha!

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 specific Podcast as an fyi