Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wheel touch up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Flat6997
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel touch up?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the closest paint match on a 997.2 to touch up wheels? I have a few chips on a wheel and I always seem to park with them on the bottom, and every time I walk by the car they are starring at me!

Old 03-28-2021, 04:50 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

I hear ya. I don't have any chips on mine,... BUT I do have what I consider to be "rash" on the very inside of only ONE side of a few spokes (& not on every rim). It is almost as if the way the air flows through the rim, it exits mostly on one side of each spoke. And thus any small grains of road sand will exit on that side. Thus the rash. It's actually hard to even notice, unless you're in there cleaning & inspecting the inner barrels/caliper areas.

Just thought I would mention it,.. since when I looked at your picture above, it reminded me that the rash seems to be there. In my first year of owning the car, I "fussed" over it being there,... but now, with many thousands of miles later,... and hearing from other 997 Rennlisters who claim that the little bit of rash that forms right in front of the rear tires (lower valance) is also normal for these cars,... I now do not really worry about it. In fact, it can actually help to prove that the paint is all "original",.. and is commensurate with the number of miles on the car. So I'm good with it.
.... but, having some touch up paint for the rims would be good too.

As far as your rims, I have the same color, which I have been told (here on RL) is called "Titanium Metallic Silver". Not sure how you could get this color (enamel?) to do some spot touch up. Have you checked with Porsche Parts Dept? Maybe there is a color part # for touch up.

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-28-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:03 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I have not used it Suncoast sells it

Touch up paint
Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Thanks Kevin. Do you think that is the Titanium silver that OP has, as well as mine? ... or could this be the other more brighter silver that factory put out (certainly on the .1's). Especially since Suncoast has it listed in the 2005-2008 category of their product listings

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-29-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Went down the rabbit hole this morning after thinking about it. The GT3 wheel looks different than other silver wheels so I found this post #8 on this thread. The GT3 wheel is a Hyper Coating finish. Now does this mean anything if you are doing a teeny chip? I don't know.

Post #8 Hyper Coating
Old 04-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6997
Does anyone have a recommendation for the closest paint match on a 997.2 to touch up wheels? I have a few chips on a wheel and I always seem to park with them on the bottom, and every time I walk by the car they are starring at me!

Did you ever figure it out exactly?
Old 04-20-2021, 01:47 PM
Flat6997
Track Day

Just to quickly follow up on this. I checked the PET - it’s listed as EP8 titanium metallic.

I found a kit from color n drive for EP8 Felgen Decorsilber titan metallic.

It comes with two paints, 1 a dark black with a hint of metallic flake and 2 a silver metallic paint. You apply black first and silver 2nd to layer the colors (or I think at least). The silver had a 2 printed on the top label you can see in one picture.

It came out pretty well for a quick touch up. I purchased the car within the past 6 months and had it shipped and the prior owner had it shipped from its original location, so at least two shipping companies had it. I believe it may have been one them being careless with a strap going through the wheel as the chips were pretty concentrated. None the less it’s obvious there are still chips there but it looks a lot better as opposed to the white primer showing through. I think this is the answer if someone is looking for a quick touch up to improve a wheel chip.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:04 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Great job! Thank you!! It looks like the color is a match from here, but what do you think? Is it even necessary to do the black? I'm curious if Dr. Colorchip has it. I tried their paint once but my results were not as good as the website pictures show...that's for sure.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Flat6997
Track Day

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Great job! Thank you!! It looks like the color is a match from here, but what do you think? Is it even necessary to do the black? I'm curious if Dr. Colorchip has it. I tried their paint once but my results were not as good as the website pictures show...that's for sure.
Color is definitely a near match. Not perfect, but I don’t think it’s possible to come closer on a touch up like this. I tested silver without black on the metal outlet plate I had in the pictures and it comes out too light of a silver to match well.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:14 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6997
Color is definitely a near match. Not perfect, but I don’t think it’s possible to come closer on a touch up like this. I tested silver without black on the metal outlet plate I had in the pictures and it comes out too light of a silver to match well.

Thanks so much for that. I ordered from the same place, then took the info to Dr. Colorchip and after some research, they said they can do it too so I ordered there too. I'll try both for grins and giggles and report back. Getting these chips happens from driving. Why it seems to happen with this wheel is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Wheel touch up?