Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Windshield replacement opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:10 AM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Windshield replacement opinion

I've had my car for a few years now, it came with a 1 inch star crack on the windshield. It has been glued/repaired properly, so it does not spread or anything, so it's really only a cosmetic issue, but I can always make an insurance claim to replace it. Now I don't have any experience with windshield replacement on Porsches.
So should I even touch it? Is windshield replacement tricky on Porsches? I hate to have it replaced and find issues with it later. And if I do decide to do it, should I bring to the dealer? Thanks!
Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Windshield replacement is very tricky on Porsches. One of the hardest cars to fix glass on. I would just remove the glass and wear a helmet.

Joking aside, take it in a get it fixed. It's a piece of glass. Have Porsche do it.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:07 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I would definitely go with someone reputable, but this isn't an open heart surgery. I would prefer a good body shop to a P dealer, because body shops do glass all the time. In fact most of the time, it's the same glass guy that goes from one body shop to another.. and swings by the P dealer to take care of the one-off car.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

I would go with OEM glass or genuine glass (with the Porsche logo).

Regarding where to go, your dealer probably has a company come out to do the glass. For instance, when I had the glass done on my Audi, the local dealer used another company. They didn't do quite as quality of a job as I'd like, scoring the a pillar quite badly causing some rust eventually, so I'd prefer to go direct to the source. Talk with them and explain what you'd like.
The following users liked this post:
no2pdk (02-16-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I needed a new windshield on the Q7. After my insurance tried and tried to steer me to Safelite, I refused and dropped the car off at the dealership. Some cars require 4 wheel alignment with a new windshield. Some require a new gel tab and I trusted Audi to get it right the first time. The car never left their dealership and I paid $500 because.............I ran it thru insurance which you should always do. It doesn't raise your rate and you ge the best possibly glass, 4 rings etched on my glass, just like when it rolled off the factory floor.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:46 AM
silviaks
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I needed a new windshield on the Q7. After my insurance tried and tried to steer me to Safelite, I refused and dropped the car off at the dealership. Some cars require 4 wheel alignment with a new windshield. Some require a new gel tab and I trusted Audi to get it right the first time. The car never left their dealership and I paid $500 because.............I ran it thru insurance which you should always do. It doesn't raise your rate and you ge the best possibly glass, 4 rings etched on my glass, just like when it rolled off the factory floor.
In CA, we have the right to choose the repair shop, so I definitely won't let insurance to talk me into safelite. It's funny, I think AAA glass claim number goes directly to safelite hotline. 4 wheel alignment required for windshield replacement, really???

I'm sure I will have to pay the difference for OEM glass, I'm fine with that. Anyone know a good glass shop in the bay area / pennisula?
Old 02-16-2021, 08:29 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

Just did glass on Audi... same drill safelite...Nope. OEM glass four rings. They had to calibrate cameras post. Did it at dealer. No issues.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 AM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by silviaks
In CA, we have the right to choose the repair shop, so I definitely won't let insurance to talk me into safelite. It's funny, I think AAA glass claim number goes directly to safelite hotline. 4 wheel alignment required for windshield replacement, really???

I'm sure I will have to pay the difference for OEM glass, I'm fine with that. Anyone know a good glass shop in the bay area / pennisula?
My insurance does the same, it goes straight to Safelite. In WA we can take it wherever we want so it takes a phone call or two w/ the place I want to go and it gets billed correctly. Not sure about 4-wheel alignment with the camera but in a Q7 I had to bring it to the glass shop with the tank full for them to be able to do the camera adjustment post-glass install. Another reason to love a 997 and it's lack-of this stuff :
Old 02-16-2021, 04:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silviaks

I think all you'll be responsible for is your deductible. I set mine at $500. Take it to Porsche.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:07 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

100% take it to Porsche, my experience is that even the windshield techs that do Porsche's all the time have a hard time getting the soft rubber moulding to sit smooth across the top of the windshield, often times the moulding will appear 'lumpy' after installation.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Good move on using the dealer for it. Agree that the genuine Audi glass is the way to go also. Friends have used OEM on BMW’s and Audi’s with good results as well.

Agree that unless you can find a speciality glass shop that also works on Porsche’s using the dealer is probably the best move as they have the tools (even if they contract it out and have someone else install on site) to do it right. Also, if something does go wrong you’re going after the dealer not a real small company.

The scratches on mine could have already been there too. I may have never noticed until after install.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:00 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Please use the dealer and Porsche OEM windshield. They are tight and tricky. My car came with a Safe Lite type replacement and the first time I went over 60mph I had a huge whistle and leak. Upon inspection it was set in the frame crooked and had a huge gap on one side and they tried to fill it all in with extra glue. My 2 cents..
Old 02-17-2021, 01:34 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

have been told you can get OEM glass thru Safelite

chances are, your OEM glass is mfg'd by these guys: https://fuyaousa.com

Old 02-17-2021, 02:59 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
have been told you can get OEM glass thru Safelite

chances are, your OEM glass is mfg'd by these guys: https://fuyaousa.com
American Factory (Fuyao plant in Ohio)
https://www.netflix.com/title/81090071
Old 02-17-2021, 05:06 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Our X5 came with FUYAO BMW glass all around, probably because X5s are assembled in the US of A

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement opinion